ex squaddie or vet

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by oldmanron, Apr 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ive just read a post from somebody who left service in 88 and says hes now classed as a vet as opposed to an ex-squaddie :( is there a difference and at what point do you become a vet :?: as a former member of caesars guard who left in 76bc (before c'nutstookover) i want to know my official title and weather i can use it on letterheads etc :p
  2. Whew!!

Makes sense now, I thought someone might ask me to remove a cats spleen :lol:

Seriously, I find the term 'vet' patronising - I'll never call myself one of those. Ex/retired serviceman has that British feel about it.
  3. As someone who finished 22 in 84 , I am a civilian and that is the only term I answer to
  4. Agreed, but my missus has been known to refer to me as "bugga lugs" :lol:
  5. Left the army in 97 and feel better calling myself an ex-serviceman. Have to agree with whistler. The term 'vet' sounds too septic for my liking.

6. I've always said I will never be a civvy, just an ex-serviceman.
  7. Vet sounds like something that should be dragging around a sack of cat spanners...
  8. Vet is used in several ways in English:

1. As a noun:-

An abbreviation for veterinarian or veterinary surgeon, that is, an animal doctor.
    An abbreviation for military veteran in the United States.
    2. As a verb:-

to vet was originally a horse-racing term, referring to the requirement that a horse be checked for health and soundness by a veterinarian before being allowed to race. Thus, it has taken the general meaning "to check": "The attorney vetted the documents before using them to make his case."

Hope this helps

Your not vets unless your septics. Long may you live old fellas!

Sorce = wikipedia.com (and it knows everything)
  9. I prefer the title "former" rather than ex- (has been). We don't die, we just fade away!
  10. Further improvements to honour the UK's war veterans are being put in place today, Secretary of State for Defence John Reid announced on Remembrance Sunday.

From today, eligibility for the popular HM Armed Forces Veterans Badge will be widened to include those who served between the end of the Second World War and 31 December 1954, and those who served in the inter-War years. Members of the Merchant navy who took part in military operations during these periods also become eligible.

Defence Secretary, John Reid said:

"The many heroic acts and sacrifices of our veterans and their families must never be forgotten. This is why we established the Veterans Badge in the first place. It has proved enormously popular, with over 100,000 issued to date.

"It has always been our intention that the Veterans Badge will be available to all veterans. To make the issuing of badges simpler, so far only applications from those who served during the First and Second World Wars have been accepted.

"I am very pleased that from today, fittingly on Remembrance Sunday, I am extending this to include those who served up until the end of 1954 and during the inter-war years."

The HM Armed Forces Veterans Badge was launched in May 2004 with the intention it would be made available to all First World War veterans and the Second World War veterans who, under the Heroes Return scheme, travelled back to the battlefronts they had fought on. Because the badge was so popular, eligibility was quickly extended to include all Second World War veterans and today is extended again.

Further extensions to the eligibility criteria of the Badge will be announced in due course.

11. I sincerely hope the tw@t wasn't stampeded by the WW1 veterans. Apparently the Boer War veterans will have theirs put in the post as they don't get out much anymore.