Ex-Speaker Lord Weatherill dies

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Taz_786, May 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bernard Weatherill (Capt., IA) was a delightful, cultivated, intelligent, dedicated, courageous ex-soldier, MP and all-round public servant - of a kind we have almost lost nowadays.

He went from his public school to serve his time as a journeyman tailor in his family's Savile Row business. Thence into the Indian Army (with distinction) for WW2, thence into politics (again with distinction) and finally to office as Mr Speaker - a job Margaret Thatcher tried to deny him.

Unlike her, with her denial of the very existence of Society, Weatherill was a fine One-Nation Tory, without condescension or paternalism.

Inferior MPs - little, petty men - whispered "even my tailor is in the House now!" He was a far finer man than them. And all his life - army and politics - he carried with him his apprentice tailor's thimble, as a constant reminder to him of his origins.

He was one of the very finest post-war Speakers we have had. So much the worse (again) for Thatcher's judgement.

RIP, Mr Speaker Sir!

We need many more like you in these dark, benighted days.

2. R.I.P. Lord Weatherill

Sincere sympathy to all family and friends

3. Agreed with Caubeen, this gentleman was quite, quite splendid. Caubeen's is wrong about 'Mrs Thatcher's judgement' in this case - she was, as always, quite right - she was not able to bully him and hence her opposition to his appointment.

Why do we not get his sort going into Parliament nowadays ? Maybe because Bliar has so undermined the authority of parliament either by ignoring it or by passing its authority to European Soviet Union.

As certain as Lord Weatherill was a true gentleman in every sense and meaning of the word - Bliar will be remembered as a cheating, liar, a mountebank, a chancer and utter cad. **

** Sorry aboout that 'Cad' but you are articulate and amusing. Attributes that can never be assigned to the grinning spiv Bliar.

4. I think that this fine officer, gentleman and politicial will be sadly missed.

RIP

fastmedic

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

A great loss. Unfortunately I suspect that he will be remembered as the last fully robed speaker. That point is more about the dress than the man, as he will undoubtably be remembered more as the Speaker that introduced/supervised the installation of television cameras.

6. In popular terms, Weatherill will certainly be remembered primarily for the introduction of TV into the Commons, which he organised with great care, so as to maintain the dignity of the chamber.

But there was so much more to him than that.

He was an exceptionally diligent, intelligent, humble, dignified servant of the House, who brought the role of Speaker back to the gracious, central place it used to occupy in the working of parliament. Betty Boothroyd was an effective, popular, memorable successor in her own way; but I am not sure about the present incumbent, alas . . . .