Ex Southern Cfn 2009... Did you pass your CFT? Not our Bn!

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by freebie, May 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I didn't actually go this year, but I know that those who participated had the opportunity to get some MATTs ticked off at the same time. This included the 6 mile CFT.

Unfortunately if you are unlucky enough to be part of a certain REME Bn, and you passed your 6 mile CFT, it won't count. Why?... Because our beloved TM has ordained that you must first have passed your PFT or, failing that (literally), have passed the 2 mile and 4 mile CFT 'beat up training'!! Sadly, all that hard work a couple of weekends ago will only count as the 2 mile CFT.

Now I can understand some of the logic of having a bench mark to work from, in order to avoid having unfit/injured soldiers drop out of the 6 miler (be it a mile or 5 miles into it) on a MATTs w/e. However, common sense would say that the guys who took part on the mil skills competition and passed the CFT have clearly met their fitness requirement. WHY MAKE THEM JUMP THROUGH ALL THESE RIDICULOUS HOOPS?

With enthusiasm for Ex Sthn Cfn at an all time low within our coy particularly (although I get the feeling it's across the bn), the lure of gaining some MATTs out of being part of the team was one of the few reasons for attending. If they then turn around and say that if you're part of our bn, it won't count for anything, how do they expect attendance to pick up next year? Or should we simply stop after 2 miles on the march and shoot, and refuse to go any further because we haven't had our tick in the box for the 4 and 6 milers? :twisted:

Any thoughts? CoC at coy level have tried (and failed) to reason with the decision. Is this legally binding? Are there any other units who have silly rules like this?

2. AIUI MATT 2 states that you must complete the beat up prior to attempting the 6 / 8 miler.

The cynic in me might detect an umbrella going up as this should have happened.

3. It does my head in how little we have to do each year to pass as fit and how much people complain about it... One army my arrse

4. I think you've missed the point Gaz. It's not passing the thing it's the petty minded "hitlerisms" that the TA soldier has to put up with from the regular army staff.
    A good proportion of them don't like the TA but have to do the posting because their career depends on it. So they spend their time pissing off the junior TA soldier by messing them about and changing the goal posts.

Given the chance a high percentage of TA will pass their Matts tests with ease but would like to get on with the job of being trained for deployment rather than being ground down by petty bureaucracy.

One army my ARRSE.

5. Yeah, I see the point now, sorry!... venting my frustrations in the wrong place really, my point is still valid and this post just reminded me of a certain someone moaning...

6. Yeah, I know what you mean, there are quite a few people that have a good whinge because they've been told to go for a run!
    I get my guys out for a "fun" CFT pretty much every free sunday we have. Always amazes me how many people panic about a fast stroll in the countryside!

7. Chin up Freebie,

Your only being asked to trot round the woods with the equivalant weight of a single mothers Aldi carrier bag on your back and to do the same distance the kids in my village walk to school and back in a day ! :roll: Sh*t happens mate, embrace a bit of phys, does you the world of good ! :D

Thank the lord above you never suffered the indignity of a CO's run at 10:00am, full CEFO, hangovers optional and never a shade under 10 miles you beefer !! :D

8. Wouldn't worry too much, you'll probably discover tomorrow in the Sun/Mirror etc that your unit has been ear marked for disbanding and you'll be offered the golden chance to transfer to some nearby unit... :roll:

Seriously tho' seems a bit harsh and certainly not retention positive.

9. Wondering slightly off topic. I was in the winning team for 2001 and do you know what our prize was?
    we got to stand as an honour guard on some stairs so some posh devils ( and the officers) could walk into a nice dinner! (we got to eat in a side room) that really made me want to do the competition again.... no really... :?

10. Ah, so the lads should not have been made to do the 6 miles in the first place... Interesting...

Reni - don't mind doing the beat up training (personally prefer it to the PFT anyday - sit-ups just aren't my thing... but neither is the run!! :D ) but it is the double standards... If other units can get a tick in the box, why should our lads not. Why dangle the MATTs carrot if they're really going to use the stick?

Plus, it's also about retaining interest in being on the team. We hardly scraped together enough for 1 team, yet as a coy we should easily manage 2. If the lads are being promised things that they're not going to get, they will soon stop volunteering.

11. Reni - don't mind doing the beat up training (personally prefer it to the PFT anyday - sit-ups just aren't my thing... but neither is the run!! :D ) but it is the double standards... If other units can get a tick in the box, why should our lads not. Why dangle the MATTs carrot if they're really going to use the stick?
    Plus, it's also about retaining interest in being on the team. We hardly scraped together enough for 1 team, yet as a coy we should easily manage 2. If the lads are being promised things that they're not going to get, they will soon stop volunteering.[/quote]

I agree,

I think that is one of the things that seperate the regular guys from the lads who have soley served in a territorial role, a reg will by default have learned just to shrug his shoulders and accept the inevitable by way of past experiences, but by nature of the different lifestyle, freedoms and work patterns undertaken by a TA bod they again, by nature, will question and analyse a little more, both traits are neither here or there to be honest, I concede though that it is a p*sser to reach for a goal and have it snatched back. C

Change the colour of your beret ! :wink: better trips away, naughtier tours, ladies swoon at your feet in Tescos and leave their snotty kids in the pet food isle and dive into your TVR as you burn off into the blinking sun ! :D

12. Really ? I can put hand on heart and say I've never done (or knowingly missed) beat-up training prior to the CFT.

But as to the original poster's experience, I have to say I think their TM is being a knob. If they've done the distance in the time with the weight, it should be a pass. Now if they were moaning about having to do it again having passed already then it's time to tell them to man up.

13. Hmmm, slight problem... I drive a corsa and have breasticles! :D

14. Aah I see !! So you'll be more used to portly PSI's asking for your number to "keep you up to speed with stuff", endless tales from your oppos of "when we were in Sarajevo/the COB/KAF" and the ever present feel of your webbing hanging down round your calfs ! Boom Boom !! :D

15. Lol, too old for the PSI's! (It's not just the webbing hanging down around my calves these days, boom boom!!) :twisted: