Ex-soldier wins over £600k damages from MOD for PTSD

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ViroBono, Jul 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

This from the BBC-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4725455.stm

Good news for many who have been badly let down by the system. It really shouldn't need to come to this. I only hope it doesn't turn into a gravy train for lawyers and that those genuinely suffering from real PTSD are looked after.

2. Ditto - but good for C/Sgt New. A distinguished soldier and clearly deserved every penny.

3. Hope he makes a full recovery-a clear failure of the Duty of Care.

4. Well said Virobono.

Good luck to CSgt New

5. Hopefully this will force a seachange in the way the MOD treat sufferers of PTSD

6. I served with Mal New and remember him at his best. He was a shadow of his former self when I ran into him a couple of years ago. He deserves every penny and I hope now that he gets the help he needs.

7. Clearly this is a major step forward in the relevant people realising that just cause you can't see it ,it doesn't mean it's not hurt.We are always told 'fit body, fit mind' ,well how about vica versa.The 'get a grip' mentality has got to stop at all levels when it comes to genuine mental illness. I don't know the exact figures so i won't quote them but there are some scary statistics about post war suicides amongst Falkland Vets. Mental illness is not a sign of weakness and can happen to anyone in your unit.
    i wish C/Sgt New all the best for the future and hope that the payout improves his quality of life to some extent. All of us who serve have a duty to our soldiers, peers and superiors to take mental health as seriously as physical health. The next guy or girl that 'loses it' could be next to you on range day!!