EX-SOLDIER TURNED DOWN FOR POLICE FOR HIS COLOUR.

In the Daily Mail today was an article reporting that an ex-soldier was turned down by Gloucestershire Police Force (along with 108 other white male applicants) in favour of minority groups such as women and coloured people. The force said that it was "engaging in positive action to increase the numbers of female and non-white officers". The Asst. Chief Const. said that "this positive action will undoubtadly mean disappointment for others but it the only way of ensuring we (Glouc Police) maintain a diverse workforce".

I think that as the majority of police forces are understregth than it shouldn't matter what the colour of someone's skin is, if they are qualified then let them do the job. Political Correctness gone mad.

Your comments please........................

Moved here as Current Affairs has umpteen threads on Police recruitment.

G

Goku

FABLONBIFFCHIT said:
it shouldn't matter what the colour of someone's skin is, if they are qualified then let them do the job. Political Correctness gone mad.
Agreed

If recruits are chosen because of the colour of their skin or sex then the end result can only be an inferior quality of police officer.

Positive discrimination is only another word for racism/sexism.

I Don't know the figures but because of this "positive" discrimination, the police are losing alot of recruits in the probation phase. They weren't the most suitable candidates and don't become worthwhile PCs. Cutting of one's nose to spite one's face?

edit to say; Goku- beat me to it!

Discrimination is Discrimination. Sue them. And every ratepayer should write to the Police Authority, copied to the Chief Constable calling for those small minded racists who think minorities are inferior and need patronising to be disciplined and sacked.

in total agreement with mushroom sue them then they might have a rethink on this stupid pc decision.
this is typical of Bliars britain.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
FABLONBIFFCHIT said:
. The force said that it was "engaging in positive action to increase the numbers of female and non-white officers". The Asst. Chief Const. said that "this positive action will undoubtadly mean disappointment for others but it the only way of ensuring we (Glouc Police) maintain a diverse workforce".
Surely if this is what was said, then it is an admitance of Racial (and sexual) Discrimination, and as such is in breach of employment laws. If that is the case, can the ex-soldier take the Police to court? Is it worth the effort?

B

Biscuits_AB

You can't blame the Police Force for Government imposed ideology. They are constantly battered by the press, media, the judiciary and the general public alike, for not having enough minorities on the job and thereby for not being truly representative of the communities they serve. I agree, not all minorities harbour a desire to join the police, favouring better and higher paid employment as medical and IT professionals,etc, but it would appear that the Police cannot win. As the upholders of law and order, they must be seen to be acting in favour of all parts of the community. Strangly enough, that means employing a contradictory practice of favouring some groups over others, whether they are up to the job or not in some cases.

Now some may or may not agree with this, but you voted these people and their multi cultural ideals in................now you have to live with them.

That's democracy for you folks. Every bugger gets what no bugger wants.

Happens to females too. Met a girl the other week who had been turned down for the Met on grounds that she was not from an ethnic minority. They had helpfull advice for her though "say you are a lesbian" and we will take you. She had declined.

i remember an article some time ago where the journalist sent in two identical job applications for the same job - except one said he was white, the other said he was a minority. the minority application was binned, the white one got him an interview.

it seems the police are exploiting some loophole here. how about if a white applicant put on his application that he was afro-caribbean or something like that? this would ensure it was not weeded out at the preliminary phase and might get you an interview.

of course you would end up explaining why you were the token white person being interviewed amongst dozens of minorities. and they could probably use that you lied on your application form to deny you the job.

but might be interesting to take a camera and record the look on their face when you walk into the interview :) and i bet some scuzzy tabloid would pay for the story afterwards.

I think we have had this discussion before?

The police are not sueable in this situation as positive discrimination is perfectly legal!

However, employers and others can take positive action to prevent discrimination, or to overcome past discrimination. Where over the previous twelve months no-one from a particular racial group, or only very few persons from that racial group, have been doing a certain type of work then it is lawful to offer training only for people from that racial group or to encourage people from that racial group to apply.

There are some particular circumstances where racial discrimination will not be unlawful.

Positive action by employers is one example; another is where it can be shown that discrimininating on racial grounds in employment is a genuine occupational requirement, or that a person being of a particular racial group is a genuine occupational qualification for a job.

Try telling them you are an African and if they ask about the colour then tell them you are from S.A.

Once again this is a 'quota' issue. The best person for the job is denied to fill a quota. I remember a couple of years ago Dyfed Powys Police were slated by the independant police board for not having enough ethnic minorities in their ranks. Fekk me, they only had about 1500 officers all told. Black and Asian men and women living in West Wales are about as common as hens teeth, but that fact didn't matter.

What happend to taking the best recruits? Surely the only colour a police officer should be is blue?

Shite state of affairs!

Time for a revolution my friends!

CC_TA

The frustrating thing is that all the major political parties appear to be of like mind on such subjects.

CC_TA said:
What happend to taking the best recruits?

CC_TA
Same thing I was thinking. Wasn't there a case in the US where a fireman recruit sued a city because of positive descrimination? Apparently there were too few women on the job. Googled it but can't find a link. :oops:

Another nail in the coffin of the link between middle England and the police forces. The more I see and learn about the various forces I can't help but think policing has all gone terribly wrong somewhere.

What are the percentages of black, Asian, Chinese etc. in the general population?

It’s reasonable to expect police forces to reflect those percentages in their manpower, give or take a few percent, but if their recruitment policies result in an ethnic mix where white officers are under represented in relation to the general population, one could argue that the racial imbalance would be detrimental to their acceptance by society and hence to their efficiency in serving the people.

That might be a valid counter argument to so-called “positive” discrimination.

I think the term "positive" discrimination is a contradiction in terms. If there are fewer minorities on the police force then surely that is down to countless reports of in-house racism and sexism that we see in the press. If more action was taken to deal with those guilty of discriminating within the ranks of the force and done more publicly then maybe more people who are qualified for a role in the force would apply.
In the meantime I am of the opinion that the police force has an important role to play and needs the best person for the job whether they are white, black, asian, male, female, gay, bi or straight is totally irrelevant

Edited for typos though I have probably missed some others lol