Ex Soldier Admits Killing Family

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bat_Crab, Jan 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News

A tragic story, one can only hope that his illness hasn't resulted from his military service. Were I a Daily Mail reader I would probably use this as the basis for a tirade against medical care for retired servicemen.
  2. He is a Gulf War one Veteran. Nine years ago Bradley made contact with a local Gulf Veterans' Association complaining that he was having nightmares, cold sweats and other problems after seeing four of his colleagues killed in a friendly fire incident. Poor lad.
  3. Poor lad indeed Sparkylass.
    Unfortunately it's not uncommon that veterans are lost to the system - the priority is for Politically Correct "Minority Rights" (gays, muslims etc), which seems not to include the troops no matter what class or creed.

Another soldier let down by the politicised system - let's hope he can get the help he so desperately sought nine years ago.

B_C: the Daily Mail don't seem particularly sympathetic to his (or other veterans') needs here
    Reminds me of newspaper reports in the 70's/80's referring to ex-troops being as "trained killers" if they went to court, regardless of the charge.
  4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Why does the Press insist on it's "EX soldier", "ex serviceman, etc"

You never see "Ex plumber" or "Ex gardener".
  5. Just going to say the same thing. The BBC report states this guy had lifelong mental problems irrespective of his military service.

Quite what the relevance of him being an ex-soldier is I don't quite see. None of the reports of the would-be tube suicide bombers has mentioned what their jobs are/were.
  6. What a shame and what a waste. A friend of mine, Steven Satchel was also killed in that incident (GW1) and I am still furious about it.

I can't imagine what the poor bloke was going through considering the nature of his trauma (blue on blue).

I hope that he gets some proper consideration and treatment after they sentence him.

Condolences to the family.
  7. I don't think it's anything to do with discrimination against ex-servicemen, more to do with the fact that the nature of the crime is relevent to their former profession.
    No doubt if an 'ex-gardener' was caught growing drugs, his former profession would be noted as such, and everyone knows how Fred West was an ex-builder by the way he concealed the bodies of his victims, and then there's DOCTOR Harold Shipman....
  8. This is not what should happen to a British Soldier who lays his life on the line, people will probably not even read this story, they will be too interested in the fact that David Beckham had a cr*p at a pub in York.
  9. It's just lazy arrsed headline fodder. They will play on the theory that all ex-Forces are borderline psychotics who could go postal at any second with the three handheld miniguns hidden in the shed... lowest common denominator journalism.

If I go completely wibble and start taking potshots from a high building, the headline is unlikely to mention my occupation as I'm rather boring and you couldn't really get a nice stereotype out of it. I'd be a 'Gun Nut' or 'Mad Sniper' or something. Looks better than 'Bloke in Financial Services...' and puts me into a nice small category that 'everyone' can relate to 'cos it's like that episode of Casualty or whatever.

This was a sad case of someone with mental health problems killing family members, which sadly happens all too often. The ONLY reference to his service that would be relevant would be the incident that triggered his (I assume) PTSD, the all too likely lack of support for an ex-soldier, and the possible origin of the weapon, although they aren't that hard to get. If he'd used an axe or a golf club what relevance would there be?