Ex Signals now National Guard Plumber

One thing I will add to this thread.

I was terribly disappointed in the naming conventions for platoons etc.

At Harrogate I remember the company and platoons being named after battle honours. As a crow you were encouraged to read up on them, asked questions on them. Company orders had a VC recipient on the front every day and their citation. In the US the names are generic with no meaning. At phase 1 it was echo ‘emperors’ and at phase 2 it was delta ‘dawgs’. This might seem nit picky but I remember enjoying learning about the battle honours etc and I was interested to learn more whilst I was at the American basic training but there was literally non of that.
At least they give their operations decent names. Desert Storm beats Operation Granby any day.

One thing I will add to this thread.

I was terribly disappointed in the naming conventions for platoons etc.

At Harrogate I remember the company and platoons being named after battle honours. As a crow you were encouraged to read up on them, asked questions on them. Company orders had a VC recipient on the front every day and their citation. In the US the names are generic with no meaning. At phase 1 it was echo ‘emperors’ and at phase 2 it was delta ‘dawgs’. This might seem nit picky but I remember enjoying learning about the battle honours etc and I was interested to learn more whilst I was at the American basic training but there was literally non of that.
Do The Colonials have Battle Honours, etc?

Colors come with campaign streamers on them in the US. Guideon streamers tend to be for short-term awards like PT excellence.

Not that I can think of. We do plenty enough standing around in rectangles for Changes of Command, Changes of Responsibility, Patching Ceremonies, or anything else.

Hairy-boab

War Hero
Some years ago a friend of a friend was a PhD student in California (on a visa). The Air National Guard came around looking for volunteers, and he thought it sounded interesting, so signed up.

Cue GW1 and his unit being called up, at which point he refused to go. Lots of shouting, why won’t you fight for your country etc. “I’m not American, i'm Indian, we're not involved“ replies our man. “What do you mean??!, How did you join?”

Apparently nobody had asked him where he was from… he was promptly arrested, threatened by the FBI etc, for illegally accessing classified stuff. It was all looking rather grim until the President of the University found out and marched down there. He reputedly gave them the choice of letting him go, or he would go straight to the national media. They let him go.

(As told to me after a few beers, ymmv!)

Latest Threads