Ex-servicemen travel restrictions - help needed

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Ace_Rimmer, Jun 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a friend that has been out of the Army for 4 years. He's planning a bit of a jolly around the world and wants to go to China as part of it.

He remembers getting a letter when he left, saying that travel to Russia, China and some others was out of bounds. What we would like to know is how long that prohibition would be valid for and how he could find out the specific details of such things?

He's tried his old Regt. Admin Office but they didn't have a clue.

Can anyone point him in the right direction?

2. msr

msr LE

Get that in writing and off he goes...
  3. Ace_Rimmer tell your mate in no uncertain terms he is a CIVILLIAN now and can go where he wants, when and for how long. It is NOT the Armys' concern anymore.
    (Unless of course his current job is sensitve)
  4. I've been to Russia whilst IN the Army.

Try the vets agency.
  5. And even when serving there were very few problems about visiting China & Russia - all I had to do was let my local Int Corps section know I was planning to go, use some common sense when out there (ie don't get completely stotious or tap off with locals) and be interviewd on my return.
  6. And was the mission successful?

Didn't a lot of the restrictions effectively end with the Berlin Wall?
  7. To be honest, that's what I thought! I guess he just wants confirmation that it's ok so he doesn't rock up to immigration in China and get turned away or worse.

I guess it's something that everyone would be aware of as it would be so common?

For future reference, where is the best place to find out random things like this?
  8. [quote="Ace_Rimmer]For future reference, where is the best place to find out random things like this?[/quote]

ARRSE and not a greenie tiffy as happened to me.

I was off to Finland and this greenie tiffy thought Finland a communist country despite me arguing it fcuking wasn't. So I had fill a form (in triplicate of course) stating my dates of visit and purpose of visit and did I have relatives there and if so was I going to visit them etc etc.........

He sent off the forms and they came back and in official speak it basically said what dumb cnut thinks Finland is a communist country? The useless fcuker then tried to blame it on me.

9. If your mate is really worried (and as far as I can see, he has no reason to be), then he should get in contact with his local int section.

In all probability, as he's a civilian, they will say that they have no reason to have any dealings with him.
    If they don't, for whatever reason (say if he was in a sensitive job whilst serving) then he'd undergo a CSSRA brief/debrief.

If you need the number of the local Int Section, drop me a line.

99.9% sure they won't need to speak to him :)