Ex Servicemen still waiting for Veterans Badges.

#1
Its the 25th Anerversary of the Falklands War next year, yet almost all who took part still have not recieved thier Veterans Badges. The MoD have so far only extended the date of entitlement to 31st December 1959 or as part of the Discharge Pack of those now leaving.

That leaves almost 45 years worth, including most of the Falklands and both Gulf Wars without one - Fair comment that they also have Campain Medels before anyone makes it, but many who served in the 60's to 80's do not. It was not uncommen back then to have none, or only one or at most two - Northern Ireland & UNFICYP (UN Cyprus) being the 2 main medals then. Only a small percentage received the LSGC

I ask you? Is that the way to treat our retired lads? For many it will be the only mark of service available on Remembrance Day & Sundays.

So fellow Arrsers what can we do about it? If you can be bothered that is!
 

Attachments

#2
Mike_2817 said:
Its the 25th Anerversary of the Falklands War next year, yet almost all who took part still have not recieved thier Veterans Badges. The MoD have so far only extended the date of entitlement to 31st December 1959 or as part of the Discharge Pack of those now leaving.

That leaves almost 45 years worth, including most of the Falklands and both Gulf Wars without one - Fair comment that they also have Campain Medels before anyone makes it, but many who served in the 60's to 80's do not. It was not uncommen back then to have none, or only one or at most two - Northern Ireland & UNFICYP (UN Cyprus) being the 2 main medals then. Only a small percentage received the LSGC

I ask you? Is that the way to treat our retired lads? For many it will be the only mark of service available on Remembrance Day & Sundays.

So fellow Arrsers what can we do about it? If you can be bothered that is!
I wrote to the agency last week. They told me that everyone will get one and sent me a form to fill out when they are handing out for 1980-1990's. They expressed that there was no intention to miss out any group of veterans
 
#4
Agreed everyone will get it eventually. But the process is painfully slow. Here is the link with details, and if you served between January 1960 till about April 2005 when the started to include then in discharge packs.

Good Luck - You will need it:

http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/vets_badge/vets_badge.htm

Men and Women who enlisted in HM Armed Forces between 3 September 1945 and 31 December 1959 are entitled to a Veterans Badge. There is no qualifying length of Service
Extensions to the criteria

It is the aim, eventually, to include all those who Served in HM Armed Forces, however the demand for the badge continues to be high. There will be further extensions to the scheme on a chronological basis when the current demand has been fulfilled.

Once it is known when the eligibility is to be extended for those whose Service began after 31 December 1959, details will be posted on this website.

Unfortunately, we cannot accept requests for badges at this time from people whose Service began
after 31 December 1959.
There has to be a more efficient way?
 
#12
My old man wears his to get a free pint of guinness, old git!
Where can I get one? I reckon, with a bit of a sigh and a limp, and some talcum powder for that grey haired look, this could halve my beer bill at rugby matches - worth a career and deafness just for that! :lol:
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#14
I've got one and if you're so desperate for one you can have it. I'd rather see the Government spend money on getting homeless ex servicemen off the streets and into accommodation, jobs and decent healthcare than worry about the f*ckers spending money on bloody badges.

Badges? Are they that f*cking important to you?
 
#15
Biscuits_AB said:
I've got one and if you're so desperate for one you can have it. I'd rather see the Government spend money on getting homeless ex servicemen off the streets and into accommodation, jobs and decent healthcare than worry about the f*ckers spending money on bloody badges.

Badges? Are they that f*cking important to you?


Yeah i saw that last night too,kinda puts things into perspective.If i knew it would help then great.....I will sleep tonight knowing that i do all i can for them through the ABF....we have'nt got to them all but we are getting there...it a long trek.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#17
Nibbler said:
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.
Ring any bells, biscuits?? :wink:
No, it doesn't. Damn few of us have got any medals worth talking about and being in the majority whose medals aren't worth a tenner combined, I can't say that it does ring any bells.
 
#18
DodgerH said:
Biscuits_AB said:
I've got one and if you're so desperate for one you can have it. I'd rather see the Government spend money on getting homeless ex servicemen off the streets and into accommodation, jobs and decent healthcare than worry about the f*ckers spending money on bloody badges.

Badges? Are they that f*cking important to you?
Yeah i saw that last night too,kinda puts things into perspective.If i knew it would help then great.....I will sleep tonight knowing that i do all i can for them through the ABF....we have'nt got to them all but we are getting there...it a long trek.
Its a known fact that something like 10% of the homeless are ex services, and that the SAFFA, ABF & RBL are doing a lot to combat this. It is just another example of how little our govenment cares about you, when you leave the services. Unlike the US Veterans who get free after care*, an ID Card to continue using base facilities and other privileges.

* Yes I know the NHS is free, but currant events with serving soldiers show what a differance Military Hospitals or Wings would make.

I know they have opened the Forces Discount Scheme to ex forces, but you need to be a member of a Association Branch or RBL to benefit.

http://www.forcesdiscounts-mod.co.uk/

THE ONLY OFFICIAL ONLINE DEFENCE DISCOUNTS DIRECTORY
347 BENEFITS AND DISCOUNTS ONLINE UPDATED DAILY


If you are part of the 1 million strong defence community you can register free today! The defence community comprises:

Regulars - Royal Navy, Army, RAF, Royal Marines
Veterans
Cadets
Reserves
MoD Civil Servants
Families

This is the only official Defence Discounts Directory, solely for the benefit of the forces and their families. The log in exists to protect companies giving exclusive benefits not available to the general public.

There are no subscriptions, no hidden charges, no annual fees. Your information will not be used by a third party.
Others exsist, which want you to pay £25+ a year!
 
#19
http://www.modoracle.com/?page=http://www.modoracle.com/news/detail.h2f?id=11970

Source: Ministry of Defence

The Armed Forces Minister, Adam Ingram, presented Veterans Badges today, 8 November 2006, to newly eligible veterans from the 1960s.

Eligibility for Her Majesty's Armed Forces Veterans Badge, and the UK Merchant Seafarers Badge, has been extended to include all men and women who served at any time up to 31 December 1969.
So get your form in if you now qualify:

http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/vets_badge/vets_badge.htm for forms
 

Latest Threads

New Posts