Ex Servicemen still waiting for Veterans Badges.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mike_2817, Oct 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Its the 25th Anerversary of the Falklands War next year, yet almost all who took part still have not recieved thier Veterans Badges. The MoD have so far only extended the date of entitlement to 31st December 1959 or as part of the Discharge Pack of those now leaving.

That leaves almost 45 years worth, including most of the Falklands and both Gulf Wars without one - Fair comment that they also have Campain Medels before anyone makes it, but many who served in the 60's to 80's do not. It was not uncommen back then to have none, or only one or at most two - Northern Ireland & UNFICYP (UN Cyprus) being the 2 main medals then. Only a small percentage received the LSGC

I ask you? Is that the way to treat our retired lads? For many it will be the only mark of service available on Remembrance Day & Sundays.

So fellow Arrsers what can we do about it? If you can be bothered that is!

Attached Files:

2. I wrote to the agency last week. They told me that everyone will get one and sent me a form to fill out when they are handing out for 1980-1990's. They expressed that there was no intention to miss out any group of veterans
  3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I served 84 to 96 so if I'm entitled to one,who do I contact?
  4. Agreed everyone will get it eventually. But the process is painfully slow. Here is the link with details, and if you served between January 1960 till about April 2005 when the started to include then in discharge packs.

Good Luck - You will need it:

There has to be a more efficient way?
  5. Thats nme out.....did'nt join till 1962
  6. With a bit of luck you should be in the next group, when they get round to it!
  7. I served from 1972 to 1996 and had no idea this existed
  8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

9. Ha! Anyone serving from the 70's to the 90's will probably have snuffed it by the time they get round to us then!
  10. Cow

Cow LE

Got mine on discharge, never seen one being worn until today by an old timer.
  11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

My old man wears his to get a free pint of guinness, old git!
  12. Where can I get one? I reckon, with a bit of a sigh and a limp, and some talcum powder for that grey haired look, this could halve my beer bill at rugby matches - worth a career and deafness just for that! :lol:
  13. When you say they get issued on discharge does that mean they come with your red book? Been waiting 5 months for my red book coincidently!
  14. I've got one and if you're so desperate for one you can have it. I'd rather see the Government spend money on getting homeless ex servicemen off the streets and into accommodation, jobs and decent healthcare than worry about the f*ckers spending money on bloody badges.

Badges? Are they that f*cking important to you?

15. Yeah i saw that last night too,kinda puts things into perspective.If i knew it would help then great.....I will sleep tonight knowing that i do all i can for them through the ABF....we have'nt got to them all but we are getting there...it a long trek.