• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Ex SAS/SBS guy to do a freefall jump from 120,000 Feet

http://www.spacejump.co.uk/

Anyone hear about this on the news yesterday?

He plans to freefall from 120,000 feet beating the existing record of 102,000 feet set in the 1960s by Kittinger.

He will freefall at over 700mph breaking the sound barrier until he reaches the atmosphere where his terminal velocity will slow to 120mph.

Nutjob!!

There have been a number of attempts to break Capt Kittinger's record. I think at least 2 attempts ended fatally. This bloke's probably a head banger, but it has to be done and I hope he sets a new record.

IIRC Kittinger blacked out and was saved by a then-experimental auto-opening device.
The footage of him stepping off the gondola into nothing but clouds far, far below is staggering - anyone crazy enough to try to beat it has cajones (sp?) for sure.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Kittinger footage

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w3yeH2k6w2M

This guy was on Richard and Judy yesterday
He plans to jump from 50,000 feet over Peterbourgh in May
Didn't Kittinger do it as part of his job when he was in the airforce just to test high altitude bailout
"Ah Captain Kittinger were sending you on detachment for a couple of months.............."

Saw something about the 60's jump on a programme about the atmosphere. Made me laugh cos the first thing on his mind when he landed, was lighting a fag. :)

Looks like a frenchman is trying to beat him to the record

In August 2008 an extraordinary project will bind France, Canada and a single man for an historic supersonic free fall. Michel Fournier will drop out of the stratosphere from an altitude from about 130,000 feet (40 kilometers, nearly 25 miles) above the plains of Saskatchewan, Canada, and will contribute to the development of future technologies and the safety of stratospheric flight.
Hes 60 odd as well

http://www.legrandsaut.org/index.php?lang=eng

This is an incredible undertaking. A former ex-Red Devil and Regt. lad, the late Charles (Nish) Bruce undertook a similar venture in the early 90's. He wrote a book on his endeavours - 'Free Fall' under the name of Tom Read.

Drlligaf said:
There have been a number of attempts to break Capt Kittinger's record. I think at least 2 attempts ended fatally. This bloke's probably a head banger, but it has to be done and I hope he sets a new record.
Not half

:lol:

Aye Bob, thats the fella. We must have posted almost simultaneously, as I hadn't seen your post when I submitted mine.
Its a sad story, hopefully this attempt goes a little better.

Steve has an extensive background in British Special Forces as a reservist with both the SAS Reserves (21 SAS) and Royal Marines Reserves SBS as an SC3 (Swimmer/Canoeist 3 in 1994). Among the many military skills gathered, he is paramedic trained (Special Forces patrol medic) with extensive hospital trauma experience and is a qualified Army Physical Training Instructor and Royal Marine Commando (All Arms Commando Course 1989 CTCRM). He also passed the Parachute Regiment 'P' Company course. He is an armed and unarmed combat instructor and an anti-ambush / counter terrorist driving instructor and qualified in Special Forces communications (signals), demolitions, mobility and military parachuting.
Steve Truglia = Superman?

Latest Threads