Ex SAS/SBS guy to do a freefall jump from 120,000 Feet

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by The_0ne, Feb 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.spacejump.co.uk/

Anyone hear about this on the news yesterday?

He plans to freefall from 120,000 feet beating the existing record of 102,000 feet set in the 1960s by Kittinger.

He will freefall at over 700mph breaking the sound barrier until he reaches the atmosphere where his terminal velocity will slow to 120mph.

2. I don't know about packing his 'chute, but it must take a team of 10 to pack his balls away.
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The walt - he is only doing it to get his Space Wings :roll:
  4. There have been a number of attempts to break Capt Kittinger's record. I think at least 2 attempts ended fatally. This bloke's probably a head banger, but it has to be done and I hope he sets a new record.
  5. IIRC Kittinger blacked out and was saved by a then-experimental auto-opening device.
    The footage of him stepping off the gondola into nothing but clouds far, far below is staggering - anyone crazy enough to try to beat it has cajones (sp?) for sure.
  6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Kittinger footage

This guy was on Richard and Judy yesterday
    He plans to jump from 50,000 feet over Peterbourgh in May
    Didn't Kittinger do it as part of his job when he was in the airforce just to test high altitude bailout
    "Ah Captain Kittinger were sending you on detachment for a couple of months.............."
  7. [​IMG]

A couple of photos of Kittingers jump.
    I wonder if he could do the Trainasium?!
  8. Wicked, I wonder if he will leave a small crater if he hits the deck?
  9. Saw something about the 60's jump on a programme about the atmosphere. Made me laugh cos the first thing on his mind when he landed, was lighting a fag. :)
  10. Looks like a frenchman is trying to beat him to the record

Hes 60 odd as well

11. This is an incredible undertaking. A former ex-Red Devil and Regt. lad, the late Charles (Nish) Bruce undertook a similar venture in the early 90's. He wrote a book on his endeavours - 'Free Fall' under the name of Tom Read.
  12. The last guy I know that tried to break the record, went doolally, thought his girlfriend was a demon, and stabbed her.
    Happy days.
  13. No inference to my post then sandmanfez?
  14. Not half

15. Aye Bob, thats the fella. We must have posted almost simultaneously, as I hadn't seen your post when I submitted mine.
    Its a sad story, hopefully this attempt goes a little better.