Ex-Rhodesia leader Ian Smith dies

He was a gent. Way ahead of the times. Shame the country is now in freefall.

exile1 said:
a defender of GB in WWII and a hero RIP
Yes a Hero, Rest in Peace.

I can never really decide how I feel about this bloke, maybe if he had been more flexible in the 60's ZIM wouldn't be in the state it is now, also he took part in a rebellion against the crown and his AF took part in biological warfare.

On the other hand a genuine hero who is probably standing tall before the man now saying he acted as he thought best for all of his people of what ever colour.

RIP

the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation just broadcast a character assassination of him by one of Mugabe's men. Detailed how much damage he'd done to the country. Of course Mugabe has put it all right now!

D

Deleted 20555

Trotsky said:
I can never really decide how I feel about this bloke, maybe if he had been more flexible in the 60's ZIM wouldn't be in the state it is now, also he took part in a rebellion against the crown and his AF took part in biological warfare.

On the other hand a genuine hero who is probably standing tall before the man now saying he acted as he thought best for all of his people of what ever colour.

RIP
He also travelled 10,000 km to fly and fight in the Battle of Britain when Britain needed him and had the scars to prove it.

30 years ago when I first came across him he was an inspiration. A different breed than most politicians of his time. I liked the man, what he stood for and what he had done for GB.

RIP

RIP.

Valhalla awaits...

Top man, put his country (and ours) first before himself, not for any dosh or monetary reasons, and I dare anyone else to name one since.
Oh, apart from Anders Fogh Rasmussen in Dk.
HtB

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hamba kahle, uBaba.

His passing marks the end of his era, for all its errors.
Time for the current era/error to end as well, methinks.
Zim is now consistently bottom of the league in the global 'country happiness index' - no surprises there, yet heartbreaking for an extremely beautiful country and people, to which anyone who has spent time there will attest.
The dubious advantage of hitting absolute rock bottom is that the only way is up.
And the only question is when - and how - a truly sustainable, cooperative rebuilding will occur.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Tom_of_Bedlam said:
Nil nisi bonum, so I'm saying nowt.
Nil nisi bonum is unfortunately taken by the members of present government as a free rein to sully the name of a good man, in this case a true statesman, patriot and subject. They sit smugly secure in the knowledge that regardless of whatever they say they cannot be touched in law.

But I'd love one of them to gob off within arm's reach.

The only hope fror that miserable country.
Check history everyone

Sad to see a principled man go.

In hindsight I am sure if he had been a 'better' politician he would have been able to string Wilson along and not plunged into UDI.

However having met him on several occasions I can say that I genuinely liked and respected him. Not too many honest politicians about, but he was one.

Go well