Ex RGJ Soldier Dies in Jail

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Goldfishfart, May 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So sad to see someone end there days like this. Lack of resources in the NHS? Poor training of the police? Maybe the government could try listening to the experts?

2. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

It says he was remanded for 30 days???? The article may have got the facts slightly wrong. What may have happened is he could have been placed on a section 37 (MHA) which would mean that he would be in the custody of the prison service for 30 days until he would be transferred to a civilian hospital. Unfortunately this is not desireable but if someone is detained, charged, then imprisoned under legislation and enters treatment under the forensic mental health system its the usual process. Section 37 is the same as a Section 3 (upto 6 months). Its a shame the police charged him and couldn't talk him down and take him to a local pysch unit. As the original poster suggests lots of things to be considered here. Bi-polar/Manic Depression can be bad enough without the added factor of incarceration in the prison service, especially in a cell rather than in a hospital wing.

3. RIP Alan

a country which treats its veterans who are suffering from ptsd or other war related illness like dirt is not worth a fcuk :twisted:

4. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

To be honest blowhard, I think that all veterans who have seen active service should receive 'treatment', irrelevant of how well they seem. No matter how tough someone seems or how they seem to be able to get on, the brain is a delicate thing. There is no way any human is preadapted to cope with trauma of the type you would see in the services. Like the expression goes prevention is better than cure. Even if this was only at an amatuer level (i.e. maybe support groups sponsored by the RBL and run by veterans themselves) it should be something to be addressed before the major fallout of current deployments hit, or there will be repeats of this story in the mutiple. I hear people ask what role does the RBL have any more, maybe this is it, maybe it can turn itself to self supporting groups and talking-therapies?

5. Bloody shame, RIP mate.

Celer et Audax

6. RIP. Such a sad way to end your life. Lessons need to be learnt.

7. Seconded - yet another sad loss, and example of the contempt displayed by those who have never served.

Nehustan's comment about RBL based support groups is fair, but why should a forces charity have to cover the government's responsibility?

8. Im reminded of another sad case

Charles Bruce [ Nish ]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,630819,00.html

iv seen men walking the grounds of hollybush house outside ayr with their heads in their hands in total despair, being comforted by other veterans in the same boat , aye a caring country my arrse :twisted:

9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

You're right of course, but I don't think that veterans can rely on civilians to be honest, even those with good intentions. On a similar note the NHS doesn't always provide the support needed and is a bureaucracy with its own red tape. Given the comradere in the forces and the varying degrees that people will be effected/cope supporting each other seems to be a reasonable solution, not even second best, potentially better than talking with a NHS therapist or in that environment.

10. We are just dirt to this government

rip

11. I understand that the Guardian report is correct - Alan Mullin was remanded in custody by the Sheriff Court in Tain. However I agree with your sentiments, Nehustan. Incidentally, Scottish mental health legislation is not the same as in England and Wales although the principles are similar.

PS I also understand that there will be a Fatal Accident Inquiry (Scottish equivalent of an inquest).

12. pardon me for being cynical, BUT this country never has looked after its veterans or ever will :twisted:

i rang the vets agency and asked for my nearest veterans hospital... smart arrse said New York USA :roll:

13. This is very sad news. Was on a Pond Jump with 2RGJ back in 90 before we headed out to Saudi, a great bunch of lads... Heartfelt Condolences to Family, Friends and everyone who knew Alan Mullin....

14. I was very shocked to read this as I knew Alan, Marion and their family. I hope the Riflemans Aid Association is helping them in any way it can.

RIP Alan.