• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Ex RGJ Soldier Dies in Jail

So sad to see someone end there days like this. Lack of resources in the NHS? Poor training of the police? Maybe the government could try listening to the experts?

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
It says he was remanded for 30 days???? The article may have got the facts slightly wrong. What may have happened is he could have been placed on a section 37 (MHA) which would mean that he would be in the custody of the prison service for 30 days until he would be transferred to a civilian hospital. Unfortunately this is not desireable but if someone is detained, charged, then imprisoned under legislation and enters treatment under the forensic mental health system its the usual process. Section 37 is the same as a Section 3 (upto 6 months). Its a shame the police charged him and couldn't talk him down and take him to a local pysch unit. As the original poster suggests lots of things to be considered here. Bi-polar/Manic Depression can be bad enough without the added factor of incarceration in the prison service, especially in a cell rather than in a hospital wing.

RIP Alan

a country which treats its veterans who are suffering from ptsd or other war related illness like dirt is not worth a fcuk :twisted:

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
l/cpl_blowhard said:
RIP Alan

a country which treats its veterans who are suffering from ptsd or other war related illness like dirt is not worth a fcuk :twisted:
To be honest blowhard, I think that all veterans who have seen active service should receive 'treatment', irrelevant of how well they seem. No matter how tough someone seems or how they seem to be able to get on, the brain is a delicate thing. There is no way any human is preadapted to cope with trauma of the type you would see in the services. Like the expression goes prevention is better than cure. Even if this was only at an amatuer level (i.e. maybe support groups sponsored by the RBL and run by veterans themselves) it should be something to be addressed before the major fallout of current deployments hit, or there will be repeats of this story in the mutiple. I hear people ask what role does the RBL have any more, maybe this is it, maybe it can turn itself to self supporting groups and talking-therapies?

l/cpl_blowhard said:
RIP Alan

Seconded - yet another sad loss, and example of the contempt displayed by those who have never served.

Nehustan's comment about RBL based support groups is fair, but why should a forces charity have to cover the government's responsibility?

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
ABrighter2006 said:
l/cpl_blowhard said:
RIP Alan

Seconded - yet another sad loss, and example of the contempt displayed by those who have never served.

Nehustan's comment about RBL based support groups is fair, but why should a forces charity have to cover the government's responsibility?
You're right of course, but I don't think that veterans can rely on civilians to be honest, even those with good intentions. On a similar note the NHS doesn't always provide the support needed and is a bureaucracy with its own red tape. Given the comradere in the forces and the varying degrees that people will be effected/cope supporting each other seems to be a reasonable solution, not even second best, potentially better than talking with a NHS therapist or in that environment.

We are just dirt to this government

rip

Nehustan said:
It says he was remanded for 30 days???? The article may have got the facts slightly wrong. What may have happened is he could have been placed on a section 37 (MHA) which would mean that he would be in the custody of the prison service for 30 days until he would be transferred to a civilian hospital. Unfortunately this is not desireable but if someone is detained, charged, then imprisoned under legislation and enters treatment under the forensic mental health system its the usual process. Section 37 is the same as a Section 3 (upto 6 months). Its a shame the police charged him and couldn't talk him down and take him to a local pysch unit. As the original poster suggests lots of things to be considered here. Bi-polar/Manic Depression can be bad enough without the added factor of incarceration in the prison service, especially in a cell rather than in a hospital wing.
I understand that the Guardian report is correct - Alan Mullin was remanded in custody by the Sheriff Court in Tain. However I agree with your sentiments, Nehustan. Incidentally, Scottish mental health legislation is not the same as in England and Wales although the principles are similar.

PS I also understand that there will be a Fatal Accident Inquiry (Scottish equivalent of an inquest).

pardon me for being cynical, BUT this country never has looked after its veterans or ever will :twisted:

i rang the vets agency and asked for my nearest veterans hospital... smart arrse said New York USA :roll:

This is very sad news. Was on a Pond Jump with 2RGJ back in 90 before we headed out to Saudi, a great bunch of lads... Heartfelt Condolences to Family, Friends and everyone who knew Alan Mullin....

I was very shocked to read this as I knew Alan, Marion and their family. I hope the Riflemans Aid Association is helping them in any way it can.

RIP Alan.

Very sad story, come from the same town know what he ment by getting away RIP

This makes my blood boil. Patients are lucky if they get an appointment every 6 to 8 weeks, if on the NHS. Go private and the same doctor will see you every other day, as long as you pay the ridiculous fees... These same doctors should put in more time with the NHS!! If it wasn't for the lads and lasses, serving in theatre now and in the past, this country wouldn't be the relitivly safe place it is today.
There are far too many patients, living a nightmare, under the "Care in the community" bollocks. The quick solution, used by the NHS is to medicate to such an extent, that the patient, can't function.
Like any government statistics, the true number of our comrades, who have taken their own lives, will never be known.

Sorry to rant on. Too angry to reply when this was first posted.

My thoughts go out to the family and all the others who are being let down by our government.

What a sad story. My heart goes out to his wife and kids. Having been in her situation myself I know how hard it is to cope with someone in this state and how feckin impossible it is to get help.
The NHS don't want to know and the police normally don't get involved either unless there has been some violent act, unfortunately it seems in this case they got involved in completely the wrong way.
Major changes need to be made in Mental Health care in this country or we will just hear more and more stories like this.

An extremely sad state of affairs, resulting from a level of neglect bordering on criminal.
RIP.