Ex Regular looking to join the TA

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Jbecks, Jun 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I left the REME in 2008, done a few op tours etc and I was looking to join the TA in the rifles, would I keep my rank and have to go through training again? if I had to drop my rank I would not mind...but I don't think I could be arsed to be treated as a sprog again.

anyone else left regular service and join the TA? if so how did you find it?
  2. msr

msr LE

If you join within three years of leaving you keep your rank and don't have to do basic training again.

You should be made welcome at at the TAC and I would expect your fellow TA soldiers will welcome the experience you bring.

Just go along to your chosen unit and I am sure they will explain it all.

3. Thats good to hear, would it take awhile for the paperwork to go through etc? I miss the Army humour and comradeship, civvies don't quite understand the twisted squadie sense of humour, especially when most of my co workers are alot older than me.
  4. msr

msr LE

The best people to answer your question are your local unit... but you know what army bureaucracy is like ;)

5. Coming from REME to Inf you would probably have to do a Combat Infantryman's Course. Not a drama, just trade training really. It's at a very basic level.
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Correct - and you may or may not keep your rank, depending on what courses you have done. Contrary to many peoples ideas, infantry work is not something that every soldier is able to do well just because of their basic training and the odd bit of military skills work.

Your REME training courses do not equal junior Brecon, so you should be prepared to step down a rank (or possibly two) until you have the required courses under your belt.

You wouldn't expect an Inf Pl Sgt to step straight in as a REME SNCO, and the same works the other way around.
  7. I went from Reg to TA. Over all an easy transition but.....

...it took a while to get used to the drill (ex RGJ so things were a bit slower ;))

...it was strange going on training weekends and seeing different people each time rather than your own section that you really got to know.

...it was pretty disorganised with lots of waiting around on training weekends/exercises, but that depends on the unit I guess.

...everyone was a lot older!

... the food was crap!

... in general it was a good move.
  8. Thats good to hear, would it take awhile for the paperwork to go through etc?

I applied end of March, starting my recruit cadre tonight I had to go through the whole selection.