Ex Regular joining reserves.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
What is frustrating to an individual who may want to crack on is the slow pace that the basic training takes to organise.
You are not alone in that....

Snapper 25

Clanker
I've not long done Alpha and the instructors were very surprised that there were no ex regs. So It must be common for them to do It.

What is frustrating to an individual who may want to crack on is the slow pace that the basic training takes to organise.
Have you read the story of the hare and the tortoise?

Speak to your unit, and perhaps use your skills and experience to the unit's (and yours) benefit whilst waiting for various parts of the training pipeline.

Ted Bear

Swinger
I've not long done Alpha and the instructors were very surprised that there were no ex regs. So It must be common for them to do It.
Or they started a thread and get the old "your a big time know it all" moral of the story is keep your mouth shut.

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
If you left 15 years ago, but are still young and fit enough to rejoin the Infantry, my mate Sherlock Holmes reckoned you left as a Sprog.

If you left 15 years ago, but are still young and fit enough to rejoin the Infantry, my mate Sherlock Holmes reckoned you left as a Sprog.
You'd be surprised! We had a recruit pass CIC two years ago at 50!! He was ex Int Corps and completely barking but he did it.

Or they started a thread and get the old "your a big time know it all" moral of the story is keep your mouth shut.
The instructors will figure out swiftly if someone has prior service. ie regimental numbers, or evidence of pre-learning.

Ted Bear

Swinger
The instructors will figure out swiftly if someone has prior service. ie regimental numbers, or evidence of pre-learning.
Great example of a negative slant, say you have previous experience and your given the big time tag, say nothing and you will be sussed and probably tagged as a selfish, self serving loner?

Great example of a negative slant, say you have previous experience and your given the big time tag, say nothing and you will be sussed and probably tagged as a selfish, self serving loner?
eh?

You can say you have previous experience and not be given the big time tag. Show me where I have said that?

You can say nothing, you'll probably be sussed but not necessarily tagged as a selfish self-serving loner. Show me where I have said that?

The distinction is purely subjective.

even rejoiners get a 'new' number now. Almost any change in service gets a new number. One of the new officers at 4 RA got his niggy 300 number on commissioning from the ranks and caused no end of trouble constantly trying to use his old number. The penis.

During my basic training (regular service) we had an Ex-Guardsman go through with us, he'd left and then rejoined as he wanted to transfer but they wouldn't let him do it the easy way. Because he had to wait a bit he'd been out just over 6 months and went through the whole of basic training. Despite his incredible age (32 IIRC) he totally destroyed us all at the BFT (still in boots at the beginning of training) and, well almost everything to be honest. had to be ordered to wear his NI medal for pass off. We (and our training staff) all believed he should wear it as he'd earned it, he didn't want to wear it as he'd be the only 'recruit' with one.
Very modest chap and helped out, the only thing he did wrong was cutting the lining out of his beret he managed to cut the leather band off too. He spent a week wearing the bulled metal helmet instead.

even rejoiners get a 'new' number now. Almost any change in service gets a new number. One of the new officers at 4 RA got his niggy 300 number on commissioning from the ranks and caused no end of trouble constantly trying to use his old number. The penis.
That's odd. I thought everyone went 'firm' with whatever their number was when JPA came in. Hence a load of newly commished subbies coming out with low 'soldier numbers'.

That's odd. I thought everyone went 'firm' with whatever their number was when JPA came in. Hence a load of newly commished subbies coming out with low 'soldier numbers'.
We did have a period where Officers commissioned from the ranks kept their 8 digit numbers, but then anyone changing in a significant way (gender reassignment, commissioning, joining from TA, joining the TA, re-joiners and in one case at least, changing cap-badges ) got a new 300, or 'spartan' number.
It made a right mess of their FMed 4's

@Ted Bear

Just want to add my £0.02 worth. You seam like a decent bloke, bit snappy but hey ho.

I left the regular Army at senior lance Jack level, my last 12 months in a section commanders job on tour.

Had a few years being a total civvie, then decided I wanted to get amongst it again and get back on tour.

Joined the TA and was back down to the bottom of the pecking order, smashing out an arduous course and then mobilising with a regular regiment doing PDT before going on tour. Although luckily didn't have to do any basic training or anything.

Just screwed the nut and got on with it.

A few things had changed whilst I had been out, and I was working in a unit with a totally different role to what I had done previously. But I found having a good attitude,being keen, getting involved and carrying a good fighting ethos is timeless. No matter how much skills and drill change.

I quite enjoyed the fact that people thought I was a total sprog, but then let my knowledge from a few tours and years of service shine through. Its always a confidence boost when you get noticed for the right reasons

I always find it better to do it this way and have a humble attitude towards it.

Good luck with it :thumleft:

During my basic training (regular service) we had an Ex-Guardsman go through with us, he'd left and then rejoined as he wanted to transfer but they wouldn't let him do it the easy way. Because he had to wait a bit he'd been out just over 6 months and went through the whole of basic training. Despite his incredible age (32 IIRC) he totally destroyed us all at the BFT (still in boots at the beginning of training) and, well almost everything to be honest. had to be ordered to wear his NI medal for pass off. We (and our training staff) all believed he should wear it as he'd earned it, he didn't want to wear it as he'd be the only 'recruit' with one.
Very modest chap and helped out, the only thing he did wrong was cutting the lining out of his beret he managed to cut the leather band off too. He spent a week wearing the bulled metal helmet instead.
I feel lucky I got to keep my old number, and I'm immensely proud of it in a really sad way, although it has a random digit on the end of it which I never use. Some sort of migration to JPA?

There's a really old school bloke in my Sqn that unfortunately got a new 300 style number. He was recently 'sprogged'* by one of the regular lads when we were on LFTT with the regiment.

His reply, in the broadest Hull accent you can imagine was 'I were jumping aht of planes when you was shittin yellow, you cheeky little c u n t'

* the practice of shouting 'sprog' when someone has to call their number out on parade for a nominall roll or something similar. Common in the RE, never heard it elsewhere?

Ted Bear

Swinger
@Ted Bear

Just want to add my £0.02 worth. You seam like a decent bloke, bit snappy but hey ho.

I left the regular Army at senior lance Jack level, my last 12 months in a section commanders job on tour.

Had a few years being a total civvie, then decided I wanted to get amongst it again and get back on tour.

Joined the TA and was back down to the bottom of the pecking order, smashing out an arduous course and then mobilising with a regular regiment doing PDT before going on tour. Although luckily didn't have to do any basic training or anything.

Just screwed the nut and got on with it.

A few things had changed whilst I had been out, and I was working in a unit with a totally different role to what I had done previously. But I found having a good attitude,being keen, getting involved and carrying a good fighting ethos is timeless. No matter how much skills and drill change.

I quite enjoyed the fact that people thought I was a total sprog, but then let my knowledge from a few tours and years of service shine through. Its always a confidence boost when you get noticed for the right reasons

I always find it better to do it this way and have a humble attitude towards it.

Good luck with it :thumleft:
Cheers bud

Perhaps one of the more positive threads, not snappy at all, started the thread with a semi serous, relevant question and immediately get the big time tag. Perhaps their are lots of people with personal issues just looking for any opportunity to jump on something to make their day. Believe it or not, I am possibly one of the most humble, unassuming blokes you could possibly meet. I don't need my ego tickled.

Latest Threads