Ex Regular joining reserves.

Ted Bear

Swinger
I am ex regular (Infantry) been out 15 years plus and have decided to join the reserves (different Reg). I've been to the assessment centre etc and am now at my unit. My previous service appears not to count due to the length of time that I have been out, so basically I am a new day 1 recruit. I've been told that I have to start all training again, I am not totally against this, but surely my previous service/experience should be considered.

I have scrolled through the new Reserve Land Forces regs and my take on previous service is that an OC or CO can make a decision on the need to undertake phase 1 training.

Take a look at an individuals experience, do some inhouse refresher training, do some testing and if you are up to scratch then crack on.

Has anyone had similar experience with this.

Longmore92

Swinger
The standard of inhouse 'refresher' training probably won't be the same as that delivered at a training centre. You get a 'bonus' for completing Alpha and Bravo, both of which are a cake walk.

I do so love these "but I'm special because I served 15 years ago" threads. Do you not think that things may have changed just a tad in 15 years?

I bet you are really popular in training, seeing as you probably begin every sentence with "When I was in the regulars we didn't do it this way..."

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
We had an ex-reg full screw join us. He had been out 8 years and still had to do Alpha & Bravo. He did, excelled, went on tour and very quickly got back to full screw, looking now at his third stripe.

As others have said, 15 years is a long time - we only had a small presence in Afg for example, and nothing in Iraq.
Kit has changed, weapons have changed and so on. You cant just assume you still know it all.

15 yrs ago is way too long in any 'industry' to be considered even remotely relevant.

Back in the day, I was TA before I went Regs and I made it a vow to STFU about what I'd done before and just got on and did it going through Basic - it naturally helped enormously as it was the same kit, yet I still learnt more the next time round and hopefully didn't come across as a know-it-all ******.

Don't be that ******.

Ted Bear

Swinger
Thanks in general for the feedback, however, as usual there is always one who puts on the negative. TBH I ain't told anyone that I am ex regular, therefore I don't start every sentence with "when I was regulars we did it this way...." and I certainly don't think that I am special or a know it all, maybe that your role.

Simple question asked, if I can progress quicker, use passed experience to my advantage and move on to pick up new skills then why not? Or are the reserves so rigid?

You are doing the full training package. End of.

Use the time to consolidate what you already know against things that have changed.

Use your experience for the benefit of all.

Did I mention you'll be doing the full training package?

The only way to get a definitive answer is to speak to your unit training team, or seek an interview with your OC if they don't agree.

But be prepared to do the whole shebang. I thought there was an official period after which previous training and qualifications lapsed, and it was a lot less than 15 years.

Keep your mouth shut, don't be a "When I", help out the completely new people quietly and with professionalism without giving it the big I Am, it will all be noted in your report. Then when you're done back at your ARC, dig in and you'll fly

The only way to get a definitive answer is to speak to your unit training team, or seek an interview with your OC if they don't agree.

But be prepared to do the whole shebang. I thought there was an official period after which previous training and qualifications lapsed, and it was a lot less than 15 years.
It's 6 years

The_Duke

LE

3 years for rank and qualifications, 6 for basic training. 15 and you go back for remedial musketry and forming squares.

would you be happy flying to your annual two week boozathon to Magaluf with a pilot who qualified 15 years ago but has been flipping burgers since?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
would you be happy flying to your annual two week boozathon to Magaluf with a pilot who qualified 15 years ago but has been flipping burgers since?
You've flown Ryanair then?

Ted Bear

Swinger
As previous, thanks for the feedback.

Let me square this away, I am not bothered about doing the training again, infact I am looking forward to it, that is why I decided to rejoin. I certainly do not big myself up with anything I do (the when I was in type of comment) or blatently attempt to put people down for the sake of it (devexwarrior, bigging yourself up with your user name?).

One thing that I have learned from serving is that people who are lacking something, quite often attempt to put down others who are keen to get on. Their default reaction is to give a negative response.

As previous, thanks for the feedback.

Let me square this away, I am not bothered about doing the training again, infact I am looking forward to it, that is why I decided to rejoin. I certainly do not big myself up with anything I do (the when I was in type of comment) or blatently attempt to put people down for the sake of it (devexwarrior, bigging yourself up with your user name?).

One thing that I have learned from serving is that people who are lacking something, quite often attempt to put down others who are keen to get on. Their default reaction is to give a negative response.
I agree with your final point. That sort of thing is rife amongst some of the forces.

Your former point is wrong. You are bothered about doing the training again, or you wouldn't be attempting to find a way of getting out of it.

15 years is far too long out of it to just step back in.

Remember. Competence = qualifications and currency.

You lack the latter in its entirety after 15 years. That's not a dig. As asked above, would you be happy the dentist about to fill one of your tooth announced he hadn't been on the right end of a dentist drill for 15 years?

The Bus Driver at your bus stop?

You're going to be a Reservist Infantryman. You owe it to your future comrades to be at the top of your game. Because, 'it was right 15 years ago' wont cut it if you are the problem on an LFTT range (for example).

After such a long time it is questionable whether the quals that you possess are still quals.

I say that as a person who first qualled as a NBC Instructor in 1996, and last refreshed (on a full course rather than a refresher) in 2013 as a CBRN Instructor with GSR conversion.

Ted Bear

Swinger
Let's not assume anything.

How can you say what I am bothered about?

I am not attempting to get out of doing the training, nor am I joining to be a reserve Infantryman, so obviously my new role is exactly that, a new role, with new training. I am keen to get on.

I agree, 15 years is a long time to pick up any trade/job or skill and expect to be up to speed, but to use skills and relevant experience that an individual may possess is not a bad thing, or is it? I have never mentioned anything about my specific experience on this platform or at my unit, nor will I ever do so.

What is frustrating to an individual who may want to crack on is the slow pace that the basic training takes to organise.

It entirely depends on what you've been doing for the last 15 years. If your drills and skills are up to speed then your training team can apply for a waiver for at least Phase 1 Alpha. For instance if you've been in private security in some of the nastier parts of the world. If however you've been in a normal civvy job then as stated by previous posters the cut off is 6 years. If that's the case then you'll just have to knuckle down and do the whole thing again. It'll be a breeze, and besides you'll be eligible for the training bonuses.

Latest Threads