Ex regular (chieftain/challenger full crewman 6 years)

Good day gents hope we are all well.

After some advice, had 6 years regular soldier with royal armoured corps as a MBT full crewman, left in 1995 and am doing well in civi street, went to an armed forces reserve open day to show my daughter what daddy used to do and was asked if i wanted to join as a reservist, (45 yrs old now), filled out the online application (initial interest) and it came back as there are no opportunities for you based on the answers you have given.

Now, it may well be ive ticked the wrong box somewhere but reading through the requirements for a reservist i actually 'tick all the boxes' for a reservist, age, fitness, etc. Could it be ive been out too long?

Cheers chaps,

Jake

The TA are turning people away now? You do have the right number of limbs don't you? Looks like A2020 is going to work then. Quick search for yeomanry gave me this email for the people at Bovington (I know you know THAT place)

rwxy-rhq-roso@mod.uk

and this phone number

01929 403774

Speak to them for guidance. Good luck mate

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
The only one i can think of is that there arent any armoured units in your area, but that doesnt make an awful lot of sense!
Could also be worth speaking to your local unit (presumablythe one you saw at the open Day)

cent05zr70

On ROPS
On ROPs
The only one i can think of is that there arent any armoured units in your area, but that doesnt make an awful lot of sense!
Could also be worth speaking to your local unit (presumablythe one you saw at the open Day)
I don't think there are any armoured units anywhere, to talk of.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Wellll.... the Royal Wessex Yeomanry train as MBT crewman, but dont have tanks themselves. Fitted for, but not with, so to speak. I was talking to a rather pleasent redhead a few weeks ago who apparently is their first female gunner.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I can only imagine that as armour is going through a fair old shake up just now, it's not one of the roles in demand from a reserve point of view.

Although knocking back anyone reeks of cheek if you ask me!

However, if you're thinking of going back in, you'll need good boots to train with and get you up to speed.... Ooo... Look:

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...y-combat-boots-win-a-pair.285307/post-8743008

Thanks for the replies guys, i wasnt looking to go back as a tanky, spoke to a royal artillery guy on the day who explained the cushyness of his role lol, just miss the squaddy banter, lacking in civi street even now, im currently a vehicle master technician and MOT tester etc for a prestigue dealer so doing well, just thought these and past skills could be put to some good use, im fully fit and ready to go, just curious why it said no options on the initial form returned, i didnt select a role at that stage.

Interesting

Wellll.... the Royal Wessex Yeomanry train as MBT crewman, but dont have tanks themselves. Fitted for, but not with, so to speak. I was talking to a rather pleasent redhead a few weeks ago who apparently is their first female gunner.
Do they just sit in a big cardboard box and go Brrrrmmmmm Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmm Brrrrmmmmmm

... I'm currently a vehicle master technician and MOT tester etc. for a prestige dealer, so doing well. I just thought these (and past) skills could be put to some good use. I'm fully fit and ready to go. Just curious why it said no options on the initial form returned. I didn't select a role at that stage.
Surely REME would be a better option. There's more LADs about than armoured units surely?

Update.

So rang finally got through on the number given and the chap informs me there is infact a glitch which prevents ex servicemen from re-joining on the online portal, (pretty big glitch if you ask me), easily sorted and i now have access to the next stages etc. That does really need to be addressed as im sure there are a fair few who may want to rejoin the reserves and fall at this first hurdle not to follow it through.

Anyway, thought id let you know.