Ex regs and the TA

Having posted a thread recently regarding the vrsm medal some cretinous individual asked why i as an ex reg would want a "stab" medal ( his words not mine!) and didnt i have any of my own ?

Rather than rise to his baiting i would like opinions on ex regs and the ta. im sure every unit has one or two!. Being ex reg myself i found it a refreshing change from "painting kerbstones" and would recommend it to anyone thinking of leaving the regs.

Ex reg now a stab. Loving every minute of it. I'd advise anyone getting out to consider it, let's face it... it's money for old rope and you go straight onto £1500 tax free bounty.

devilish said:
.. it's money for old rope and you go straight onto £1500 tax free bounty.
dev'
Have not recieved a bounty yet, in my first year, but being an Ex reg should i expect to go straight in to £1500 bounty????

Only if you raise it before the end of the bounty year mate and get your pay clerk to work for a living

I went down to year one bounty when I joined as I didnt know about the system

Don't forget that you have a limited (3 yrs) out before you can claim bounty at full rate.
Ex-reg to TA to MOB to NRPS!!!! Recommend it to anyone and you still get a good Mess Do too!!!!

let's face it... it's money for old rope . and ohh yeah it is , our troop in germany is mainly ex regs , make´s training easy and less bull than the regs , yep no duty´s , wow

I didnt :x I was suprised how much I remembered after 10 years though!

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Yep, join TA from Regs and you normally go straight onto full Bounty - it's the rules. Worked for me, and plenty of others I know.

devilish said:
Ex reg now a stab. Loving every minute of it. I'd advise anyone getting out to consider it, let's face it... it's money for old rope and you go straight onto £1500 tax free bounty.
Hear Hear

Japster said:
devilish said:
Hear Hear
Ditto

Ex reg, I never looked back, full bounty straight away, and since have done Mob and FTRS too. Did not manage to get this "stab" medal, but then it is a funny shape isn't it?

i got my Volunteer medal, and my ex reg service counted for it too, well part of, i think it was either 2 and 1/2 years or 3 years. i joined TA in 1996 after a 2 year break and got my medal on camp this year. goes nicely with the GSM and Golden Jubilee. also went onto top bounty and kept my Reg rank too.

used to really enjoy it, but i do think there is a bigger Reg/Ta divide now, perhaps as they use Younger Reg soldiers in PSI roles and not the guy on year 20 point.

it is money for old rope and as reg you stand as good a chance as anyone in getting brown enveloped, so not a factor really.

On the subject of the 3 year maximum break between leaving Regs and joining TA. I applied well within the 3 years but, because I had to have a spec med before I was allow to be attested, the gap stretched out to 3 years and about 4 weeks; upon joining I retained my rank (eventually). I've been told that I'll go on to the full bounty by my PSAO but the cynic in me says that when Glasgow gets hold of the paperwork it'll all go pear-shaped. I'd obviously like to make sure that before my good lady wife pops out and buys the moon on a stick on the strength of a full bounty that I'm actually gonna get it. I'll speak to my PSAO and pay clerk to check but I'd like to know if anyone has had a similar experience and what happened to them?

I got told that if you're out for more than 3 years you have to start from scratch from a training and bounty perspective? I was out for 10 years before becoming a weekend warrior, I haven't got my first bounty yet and was only expecting the minimum. (Although it would be fecking ace to get the full whack - i am always in need of extra beer tokens!).

Back on topic though, I must admit that when I was a reg I had quite a low opinion of STAB's, I only met a few and it was only the TA slop jockeys that shone. Now that I am one (a STAB not a slop jockey!) I have reversed my opinion, having experienced first hand how difficult it is to juggle work, family and TA commitments. I am loving every minute of it though! One thing that does jack me off is the public perception of a TA soldier - I don't really advertise the fact that I am in but those people who do know seem to view it as little more than Boy Scouts. Not fussed though - more cheap beer for me!

Mate, blowing gordon brown wouldnt get you your back pay!