Ex-prisoners make better recruits?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Apr 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having witnessed some of the sights around Catterick and Richmond, Maj Gen Lamb has a point.
  2. It'll be toilets facing mecca in the barracks next!!
  3. What makes you suggest a link between the recruitment of ex-prisoners and Islam? Bit of a phobia there? Show me statistics to back up the idea you're trying to imply that the prison population is largely Muslim and that they are heading to the forces on their release.

Or show me anything that would even suggest this if you can't find actual facts.

4. well there must be a lot of them in the nick if they are rebuilding the toilets. So its a possibility that they may join the forces. Based on my opinion and my opinion matters! So there, maybe i should stick to brainteasers
  5. Yes I think you should.

The State has a duty of care for each prisoner. If they have only one in 100 of a recognised religion that requires an alteration of a facility they are required by law to facilitate. The building of a new toilet block will allow the housing of all within this grouping in one facility. (I hope)

6. Oh they will be heading our way ok... but not to join up!

lololol... sorry couldnt help myself...I know I know If I got nothing constructive to say then I should fcuk off!!
  7. "Scum of the earth" - Wellington
  8. A quote from HMP Bognor Regis. "Ex recruits make better prisoners"
  9. "The report also said that the Army should consider employing psychotherapists at training centres to help new recruits to cope with the problem of "culture shock".

Its an idea. I prefer the traditional role of emplying psychopaths at training centres to encourage culture shock.
  10. Central infantry paradigm wtf:!: .Pschyothearpists needed to help deal with the shock of joining the army sounds mad ,but, I suppose if it helps retain recruits it might be worth it .
    Army basic training is very diffrent from civilian life and with so many people having little knowledge of the forces nowadays .I guess the army has too adapt .As long as the end product is a well trained fit motivated soldier able to do the job I guess gradually easing them in to how the army works is better than having recruits going home on day one because the sgt shouted at them .
  11. Makes sense to me instead of Para's going to prison after they leave the army they can go before they join up. :lol:
  12. What's the next step? Counselling to get them over the shock of being warned for Ops. Post Exercise counselling? A counsellor employed in the Guard Room to help soldiers get over the shock of being on duty?

Piffle! The more we molly-coddle our recruits, the more molly-coddling they will expect when they get to their units. I'm not advocating harsh treatment (not overly harsh anyway) but part of the idea of recruit training is to toughen up the young men and women before inflicting them on the Army.
  13. What a sad thread. Back in the 1960s not long after National Service (the Draft) ended Judges would give certain offenders the opportunity to join the army rather than go to jail. It was, by and large, a disaster. Most of those who came into the army on those terms continued their criminal activities (many ended up in MCTC most were discharged prematurely) and spread discontent in their sub-unit. If General Lamb prefers ex youthful offenders to law abiding youth then British youth has changed dramatically in the last twenty years or so (though judging by the infantry's performance in Iraq and Afghanistan I don't believe it).

As a US maximum security prison administrator I'm astounded to read that a UK prisons' infrastructure is being changed to accomodate a particular religious group especially when British hospitals, if one is to believe the press, are crumbling through lack of attention.

Tough, imaginative, realistic training delivered by specially trained and selected instructors in a structured, monitored, benign environment (preferably geographically close to the recruit's home town - Divisional Depots anyone?) works. In my experience recruits arrive anticipating a rigorous training regime and are disappointed when it doesn't match their expectations. On the other hand inmates (convicts, prisoners etc) delight in manipulating the system to further their own ends including citing unrealistic religious requirements. Seems priorities have become skewed.
  14. Are they molly-coddled? Those soft shoes can give you nasty blisters and then that nasty man shouted at you and he didn't say please either. And he swore.

It's always too far one way or the other but always too far.

Just off to my pyschotherapist because my printer cartridge ran out.