Ex-Paratrooper killed in an industrial blender

Ex-paratrooper killed in industrial blender - Telegraph

The Telegraph said:
Paul Palmer, 44, had spent 13 years in the Army, serving in the Falklands and Bosnia, but was killed by the machine where he worked at the building materials factory.

Mr Palmer, a father of one from Radcliffe, Bury, climbed into the machine, a powerful, slow speed mixer, to clean it when it was switched on by another worker.
But it should have been impossible to turn on the machine while someone was inside, the court heard, but two safety cut-out switches failed to do their job.
Mr Palmer, an experienced worker at the firm who trained other staff, was killed by the mixing machine's blade after suffering multiple injuries.
He was brought up in Holywell in North Wales and served in the Falklands, Bosnia and Kuwait during his 13 years in the army.
He joined the elite 3rd Battalion Parachute Regiment where he rose to the rank of sergeant and won five medals of honour.
Not a nice way to go, are there any? apart from the one involving filthy sex with a load of top lingerie models?

5 medals of honour!

Attachments

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
Horrible way to go, He seems a bit young to have served down south with 3 Para? or is my maths bad. maybe a misprint on his Op tours.

No your maths is spot on if he was 44 then he would have been 15 or 16 during the Falklands War, maybe some of our 3 Para Brethren could enlighten us!!

Horrible way to go, He seems a bit young to have served down south with 3 Para? or is my maths bad. maybe a misprint on his Op tours.
No your maths is spot on if he was 44 then he would have been 15 or 16 during the Falklands War, maybe some of our 3 Para Brethren could enlighten us!!
It just says he served in the Falklands; not that he was there on Op Corperate. He's younger than me, so he wouldn't have even been in during that time - I was just coming to the end of Junior Leaders at the time.

'Quite, although whilst it didn't specify 'the falklands conflict' putting that in the first paragraph with bosnia was misleading at best. Downright shoddy journalism.'

I've put a post on the Daily Mail website to this effect.

'Quite, although whilst it didn't specify 'the falklands conflict' putting that in the first paragraph with bosnia was misleading at best. Downright shoddy journalism.'

I've put a post on the Daily Mail website to this effect.
..which is odd as the link's to The Telegraph.

..which is odd as the link's to The Telegraph.
Yeah that one phased me a bit too. However upon investigation (thanks for making me go to their website, thanks a bunch) there is a story about it in the mail. Sad thing there is that they say that he served in 'three war zones' and listed bosnia, kuwait and the falklands.

Sloppy sloppy nonsense.

Who the fuck climbs inside a machine like that without locking out the switchgear first?
Poor poor drills.

The poor bloke's been killed in what looks like to be a monumental fuck-up. There's plenty of serving blokes killed in accidents quite regularly. Will their deaths be posted in here too and the piss ripped out of them?

Who the fuck climbs inside a machine like that without locking out the switchgear first?
Poor poor drills.
I've seen operators tape guard switches down so they could use foot triggered press brakes without having the guard in place. It takes a bit of head scratching to design a series of interlocks that cannot be over-ridden.

Joe Bloggs will do some mental things when working with large machines however in this day and age I would have thought that the HSE will already be on the way.

Don't try to walt the fucker, you cunts have one track minds, its not like he can defend himself.

Fucking dog shit way to go. No doubt the fucker who flicked the switch was a TA hat

Don't try to walt the fucker, you cunts have one track minds, its not like he can defend himself.

Fucking dog shit way to go. No doubt the fucker who flicked the switch was a TA hat
Nothing to do with walting, he's obviously done serious service in his time and will be deeply missed. Just moaning about shite reporters.

The company got a 16k fine with 8k costs. The company director was fined 6k with 2k costs. Haven't found anywhere what the poor buggers family will get.

I would imagine they will get bugger all. Someone will say it was his own fault blah didn't check equipment blah.

The company got a 16k fine with 8k costs. The company director was fined 6k with 2k costs. Haven't found anywhere what the poor buggers family will get.

I would imagine they will get bugger all. Someone will say it was his own fault blah didn't check equipment blah.
Complacency is the biggest killer, Ive been guilty of shaving off the neccessities to get things done quicker and havent been too hot on pushing the safety aspect to others on jobs. He might have been in that machine month in month out for years without a care in the world, its a case of the wrong things in the wrong place at the wrong time that typify most accidents at work and usually the buck stops at more than one persons feet.

Shame, shite way to bow out.

Latest Threads