EX MSO NOW AN MP!

I was really pleased to see that Dan Byles was elected as the MP for North Warwickshire.

There is a sort of irony in an ex-MSO defeating and replacing a junior health minister...

Link here

Well done; Dan Byles MP: May you do as well in your future as you did in your past. :soldier:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
SOURCE

National Priorities
Our Armed Forces

This government has treated our Armed Forces appallingly. As a former soldier, I have watched with sadness and mounting anger as British soldiers continue to fight and die on foreign battlefields with inadequate equipment and resources. Even the politically neutral Royal British Legion have declared the Covenant between the Government and the Armed forces is broken. Our servicemen and women are precious assets that must be valued, adequately resourced, used with reluctance and treated with respect.

I'm lost on the abbvn MSO - last ones I saw were tank transporter drivers, cooking Wurst over braziers on the vehicle park of our barracks in Paderborn . . . .

What is MSO in this blokes context please ?

(p.s. His constituency includes the site of the old TAC I worked in for 2 years . . . almost feel like I know the bloke personally now)

Edited to add:
As if by chance - from another thread:
western said:
Goatman said:
Or indeed , the Hon & Gallant member for North Warks - LINKY

Former RIFLES and late MSO RAMC
After University Dan served in the Army for nine years, initially with the Light Infantry and then as a Medical Support Officer in the Royal Army Medical Corps.

"At one point Dan was the youngest serving Major in the British Army at 27"

Is that possible???

Pob02

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I know him, and he is a top bloke.

smudge67 said:

Is that possible???
They had (Local/Acting/Brevet) Brigadiers younger than that in WW1 and 2, I think - it is certainly possible.

In the early 80s, for want of substantive Majors in my Regiment, B Coy of my Batallion was commanded for a time in Berlin by a fat bloke (in fairness he deserves to be congratulated for overcoming his excessive girth, in order to get so far up our CO's arrse :D *), in the local rank of Maj at about the same age.

I don't know, but I suspect the chap to whom I handed over that same Company 9 or 10 yrs later was about the same age. He then commanded a company again (and was reported on for promotion, as a Maj) a couple of yrs later. He eventually he went on to Brigadier.
=========
*Edited once in oreder to be spiteful and offensive.(Too much time spent on the post-election Whet-slagfest thread?) :wink:

Stonker said:
smudge67 said:

Is that possible???
They had (Local/Acting/Brevet) Brigadiers younger than that in WW1 and 2, I think - it is certainly possible.

In the early 80s, for want of substantive Majors in my Regiment, B Coy of my Batallion was commanded for a time in Berlin by a fat bloke (a favourite of our CO), in the local rank of Maj at about the same age.

I don't know, but I suspect the chap to whom I handed over that same Company 9 or 10 yrs later was about the same age. He then commanded a company again (and was reported on for promotion, as a Maj) a couple of yrs later. He eventually he went on to Brigadier.
Well Done Dan and I hope you fight our corner in the Commons!

Source

'At one point Dan was the youngest serving Major in the British Army at 27'.

It's probably my maths but the dates in the Army List would make him 29 when he was Promoted to Acting Major?

Leviticus said:
'Local' Rank is not the same as 'Acting' Rank.
Err . . . yes. That is why it is not recorded in the Army List. :?

However, since local, acting and sub majors all dress ferzackerly the same, the subtlety would elude most civvies . . . :roll:

"The Army gave Dan the opportunity to travel and to take part in some unusual expeditions. He is a double Guinness World Record holder, having once crossed the Atlantic Ocean in 101 days in a 23 foot wooden rowing boat with his mother to raise money for charity. Then in April 2007, Dan and his mother were united in adventure once again when they trekked 650km to the Magnetic North Pole. His mum was 62 at the time!"

Bleedin' 'ell - I'd vote his mum as well - sounds like a hell of a woman!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bugsy Military History and Militaria 45
tsar_Nikolas Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC 10
witchdoctor Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC 67