Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by neanderthal, May 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was really pleased to see that Dan Byles was elected as the MP for North Warwickshire.

There is a sort of irony in an ex-MSO defeating and replacing a junior health minister...

Link here

2. Well done; Dan Byles MP: May you do as well in your future as you did in your past. :soldier:
  3. Indeed! Who'd have thought that a thoroughly decent chap would get elected to Parliament? Maybe there's hope for the country yet!
  4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

5. I was wondering how a Polish paramilitary Ammo Dump Guard from Bielefeld had become elected. :D

It will be nice to have support in the Commons for once, well done Dan.
  6. I'm lost on the abbvn MSO - last ones I saw were tank transporter drivers, cooking Wurst over braziers on the vehicle park of our barracks in Paderborn . . . .

What is MSO in this blokes context please ?

(p.s. His constituency includes the site of the old TAC I worked in for 2 years . . . almost feel like I know the bloke personally now)

Edited to add:
    As if by chance - from another thread:
  7. They do have female MSOs you know ;)
  8. "At one point Dan was the youngest serving Major in the British Army at 27"

Is that possible???
  9. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

I know him, and he is a top bloke.
  10. They had (Local/Acting/Brevet) Brigadiers younger than that in WW1 and 2, I think - it is certainly possible.

In the early 80s, for want of substantive Majors in my Regiment, B Coy of my Batallion was commanded for a time in Berlin by a fat bloke (in fairness he deserves to be congratulated for overcoming his excessive girth, in order to get so far up our CO's arrse :D *), in the local rank of Maj at about the same age.

I don't know, but I suspect the chap to whom I handed over that same Company 9 or 10 yrs later was about the same age. He then commanded a company again (and was reported on for promotion, as a Maj) a couple of yrs later. He eventually he went on to Brigadier.
    *Edited once in oreder to be spiteful and offensive.(Too much time spent on the post-election Whet-slagfest thread?) :wink:
  11. Well Done Dan and I hope you fight our corner in the Commons!

'At one point Dan was the youngest serving Major in the British Army at 27'.

It's probably my maths but the dates in the Army List would make him 29 when he was Promoted to Acting Major?
  12. Local rank (as held by my 2 examples) wouldn't show in the List
  13. 'Local' Rank is not the same as 'Acting' Rank.
  14. Err . . . yes. That is why it is not recorded in the Army List. :?

However, since local, acting and sub majors all dress ferzackerly the same, the subtlety would elude most civvies . . . :roll: