Ex-miner blasts salary to £25m

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Jan 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

A former Yorkshire miner has paid himself £25m thanks to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, where demand for his company's blast walls has boomed.

Jimmy Heselden, a reclusive entrepreneur who founded Hesco Bastion in 1989 in Leeds after losing his job in the coal mines, pocketed the sum amid soaring profits at the company.

According to accounts filed at Companies House, Hesco profits last year leapt to £31m on £196.5m turnover compared with a profit of £13.4m on £81.6m the year before.

War - in case you were wondering what is it good for.

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well done that man!

He's come up with a good product (last I heard), and it's much in demand. He's making huge profits and saving lives, so he pays himself a big fat 'Thank you'.

I've got no problem with that, apart from the fact that I can't do it myself. He's to force protection what Tetrapak is to juice - very handy, and very rich because of it.

Edited to add:

Damned good egg!
  3. Fortunately for him, wars aren't affected by recession.
  4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Well done him

Didn't he pay way over the odds for something during a Help for Heroes auction?
    Red Arrows fligHt springs to mind
  5. good on him,
  6. He can't be a real Yorkshireman - He gave loads of cash away to charity.
  7. At the Arms Fair in London last year the Hesco stand was giving free beer to British Soldiers. The stand manager told me it was just another way of saying thanks.
  8. You should see how much he pays his workers...
    They get about £650 a week in the bank for a bit of manual labour.
    Some cracking lads there though, quite a few ex-servicemen.
  9. Good on him.Doesn't the firm hide 'gizzits' in the hesco kits for the sappers who are putting it together?
  10. oh yeah...hesco multi tools!!

worth a costa or two
  11. Agreed! Best wishes to the man and his family.
  12. Sounds like a realy nice chap.

Good on him, for getting out of mining, and earning a fortune through a very simple but effective bit of kit. I can´t beleive how many of these things i have walked past and not realised where they were made.

Re A Yorkshireman and his fortune, I bet his back garden looks like a minefield!!!! :D
  13. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Cant knock the bloke for making a profit, but every credit for ploughing lots of it back into his community. Top bloke. I wish there were more like him.
  14. Seconded. Nice to hear some good news. :D
  15. Superbe chap! If only there were more like him! Lesser men get peerages.