Ex-miner blasts salary to £25m

A former Yorkshire miner has paid himself £25m thanks to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, where demand for his company's blast walls has boomed.

Jimmy Heselden, a reclusive entrepreneur who founded Hesco Bastion in 1989 in Leeds after losing his job in the coal mines, pocketed the sum amid soaring profits at the company.

According to accounts filed at Companies House, Hesco profits last year leapt to £31m on £196.5m turnover compared with a profit of £13.4m on £81.6m the year before.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/engineering/article5375491.ece

War - in case you were wondering what is it good for.

msr

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Well done that man!

He's come up with a good product (last I heard), and it's much in demand. He's making huge profits and saving lives, so he pays himself a big fat 'Thank you'.

I've got no problem with that, apart from the fact that I can't do it myself. He's to force protection what Tetrapak is to juice - very handy, and very rich because of it.

Edited to add:

Heselden also donated £11.4m to charity in the year to the end of January. Most of it, £10m, went to the Leeds Community Foundation.

Heselden, who was awarded an OBE in 2006 and rarely gives media interviews, has a net worth of £205m, according to the Sunday Times Rich List.

Earlier this year Heselden’s wife Julie paid £1.5m at a charity event for Help for Heroes so that she and eight relatives could fly with the RAF’s Red Arrows.
Damned good egg!

Fortunately for him, wars aren't affected by recession.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Well done him

Didn't he pay way over the odds for something during a Help for Heroes auction?
Red Arrows fligHt springs to mind

He can't be a real Yorkshireman - He gave loads of cash away to charity.

At the Arms Fair in London last year the Hesco stand was giving free beer to British Soldiers. The stand manager told me it was just another way of saying thanks.

dingerr said:
He can't be a real Yorkshireman - He gave loads of cash away to charity.
You should see how much he pays his workers...
They get about £650 a week in the bank for a bit of manual labour.
Some cracking lads there though, quite a few ex-servicemen.

Biped said:
Well done that man!

He's come up with a good product (last I heard), and it's much in demand. He's making huge profits and saving lives, so he pays himself a big fat 'Thank you'.

I've got no problem with that, apart from the fact that I can't do it myself. He's to force protection what Tetrapak is to juice - very handy, and very rich because of it.

Edited to add:

Heselden also donated £11.4m to charity in the year to the end of January. Most of it, £10m, went to the Leeds Community Foundation.

Heselden, who was awarded an OBE in 2006 and rarely gives media interviews, has a net worth of £205m, according to the Sunday Times Rich List.

Earlier this year Heselden’s wife Julie paid £1.5m at a charity event for Help for Heroes so that she and eight relatives could fly with the RAF’s Red Arrows.
Damned good egg!
Agreed! Best wishes to the man and his family.

Sounds like a realy nice chap.

Good on him, for getting out of mining, and earning a fortune through a very simple but effective bit of kit. I can´t beleive how many of these things i have walked past and not realised where they were made.

Re A Yorkshireman and his fortune, I bet his back garden looks like a minefield!!!! :D

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Cant knock the bloke for making a profit, but every credit for ploughing lots of it back into his community. Top bloke. I wish there were more like him.

Perturbed said:
Biped said:
Well done that man!

Edited to add:

Damned good egg!
Agreed! Best wishes to the man and his family.
Seconded. Nice to hear some good news. :D

scrofula said:
Superbe chap! If only there were more like him! Lesser men get peerages.
Yep. if he'd kicked a ball about a bit he might have got a knighthood

As it is he's only helped protect the lives of loads of blokes and given a fair whack of his cash to service charities

Good on him

mac_uk said:
scrofula said:
Superbe chap! If only there were more like him! Lesser men get peerages.
Yep. if he'd kicked a ball about a bit he might have got a knighthood

As it is he's only helped protect the lives of loads of blokes and given a fair whack of his cash to service charities

Good on him
I'll second that! Top bloke. :thumright:

fair play to the guy, let him have his cash.
shameless profiteering it might be but until someone else comes up with something so strong and simple to built i've no problem doffing my cap to that man.

Thank heavens for Mrs Thatcher...if it wasn't for her he would be coughing his lungs up with pneumo' in some miners' benevolent home in Scarborough!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Cuddles said:
Thank heavens for Mrs Thatcher...if it wasn't for her he would be coughing his lungs up with pneumo' in some miners' benevolent home in Scarborough!
Who said Thatcher was bad for miners? :D