Ex Military Policemen

I'm currently writing a dissertation on why so many ex-RMP, not the current generation (who perform admirably) but rather those who served in the 70's and 80's, who struggle to find meaningful (or indeed any) employment once they are discharged. It's been suggested that this may be down to a lack of empathy, an inability to communicate and discuss issues rationally, and a general lack of take-up of educational improvement opportunities available in AECs or elsewhere.

This of course, is mostly conjecture, and I would be grateful for the views of anybody who has experience of dealing with this particular cohort.

How can you write a dissertation based on conjecture?

C

cloudbuster

I'm currently writing a dissertation on why so many ex-RMP, not the current generation (who perform admirably) but rather those who served in the 70's and 80's, who struggle to find meaningful (or indeed any) employment once they are discharged.
Could you not simply make something up?

I'm currently writing a dissertation on why so many ex-RMP, not the current generation (who perform admirably) but rather those who served in the 70's and 80's, who struggle to find meaningful (or indeed any) employment once they are discharged. It's been suggested that this may be down to a lack of empathy, an inability to communicate and discuss issues rationally, and a general lack of take-up of educational improvement opportunities available in AECs or elsewhere.

This of course, is mostly conjecture, and I would be grateful for the views of anybody who has experience of dealing with this particular cohort.
I thought most of them joined the Met, from one organization with a reputation for fitting people up to another (allegedly).

they could always be employed !! i was told if you gave a monkey a typewriter it would write all of shakespears plays eventually !!give all of the ex rmp typewriters and who knows what could happen !!

M

Mark The Convict

*checks forum* [No wah] was alcohol abuse prevalent within RMP at the time? If so, might it have caused long-term brain damage amongst members?

they could always be employed !! i was told if you gave a monkey a typewriter it would write all of shakespears plays eventually !!give all of the ex rmp typewriters and who knows what could happen !!
As per Bob Newheart: "Hey Harry, looks like we've got something here! (Reading): "To..... be...... or....... not....... to........ be........ that ......... is........... the..... ........................Gesonnenplatz!"

In approaching your dissertation have you employed empathy ? Students living a temporary status existence with a delusion that, in the future, the real world is awaiting them with open arms ? Students convinced they are acquiring skills and knowledge of some use in the outside world ? Perhaps you are on your own way to the experience, for dissertation purposes, you ascribe only to ex monkeys.

I would say that a large number of soldiers from every cap badge failed to find meaningful employment after the Army, and many still don't.
Why the RMP angle, what sort of evidence are you looking to collect? If you narrow your arcs we might be able to help.

I'd say post in the AGC forum, but that normally just degenerates into petty squabbles with either non-RMP or infighting.

I would suggest that the personal attributes you have described would apply across the Army as a whole regardless of cap badge. I have come across plenty of non-monkeys who fit that description. Equally, I know plenty of ex-RMP who have successfully made the transition to civilian life - myself included. Also bearing in mind the relative size of the RMP compared to the overall size of the Army I would suggest that any numbers you come up with could be statistically insignificant.

Cheers

Berlin

PS. I started my service in the 80s - do I need to be worried?

Nice - some helpful, witty & original replies above....

Have you thought about approaching your local RMP Association to talk to some of their members? I'm sure they'd be more than willing to assist. Send me a message if you want contact details of your local branch.

They've taken you seriously. Bet you never thought you'd see that today!

It's the clash with reality, 70s and 80s monkeys were workshy bullshitting bastards who made it all up and largely got away with it, but you can't just fit the job up in civvy street, people will notice!

Problems for ex monkeys are exacerbated because they don't, unlike most ex squaddies, have loads of muckers to fall back on. They don't have any friends, not any that can be trusted, or relied upon!

I locked one up once, 1988, a gobby LCpl who tried to tell me how to run my guard room having just sauntered in past the: unloading bay, the huge red sign "All firearms are to be unloaded before entering the guardroom" and three prisoners busy laying out their gear all with a loaded pistol in his holster! His problem was that he didn't want to have the landrover searched, RMP vehicles are exempt from searches he said, strangely when i pointed him at the station orders on vehicles entering camp he couldn't find that clause. It was a short document in those days, "All vehicles entering camp will be searched!" He didn't have an MoD 90 "RMP don't have to carry one, we have warrant cards instead!" his vehicle was VOR on several counts and the work ticket not completed for the journey. He was attempting to interview a Pte Soldier without eitherthe unit's knowledge, or an appointment and without an SNCO being present all that very late in the evening. He was also alone, most unusual for an RMP patrol, it turned out that he'd dropped his full screw off in town at a girlfriends house. Despite the pile of shit accrueing in his intray he refused to unload and hand over the pistol, still surrounded by grinning prisoners who gladly made a cell available for him. I later phoned the police staion and spoke to a stroppy arrogant Warrant Officer to confirm that he was a gen RMP, he asked for the missing full screw and tried to order me to release his patrolman. "it will be bad for you if you don't!" My reply that "I am recording this call verbatim and have witnesses present who can hear it!" and "only the duty field officer can release him and he wont be here untill 9am tommorrow" didn't cheer him up very much! He didn't, as threatened, come and get him out!

The Brigadier was most interested the following day, my feet were in and out of intrays all morning still clutching the glowing occurrence book.

The entire police cell got rapid postings and nice write ups!

Yet they wonder why we hate them?

I never bought my own beer for nearly a month!

Cernunnos - What you encountered there was an 'old-school' RMP. Whilst some in the Corps still consider this a positive attribute, it is fast being bred out, as they drop off the end. I would say (though I am biased, being of the red-hatted variety myself) that we have about the same amount of throbbers now as any other unit - just that the usual time & circumstances that we are encountered is going to weight opinion against us naturally. No-one likes getting arrested, everyone is innocent etc....