Ex-military employment in corporate roles

Discussion in 'Officers' started by morepressupsplease, Jan 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been asked to write a paper for the senior leadership of a global bank on what benefits to the business employing ex-military will bring. Anyone got any ideas?

Specifically areas such as:

Commercially relevant strengths and weaknesses
    Training requirements
    Relevant transferable skills
    Ideas for how to recruit, train, employ and retain ex-military in a way that benefits the business
    Areas of banking that ex-military will be particularly suited to

In order to capitalise on current traction, the angle will specifically be from the bank's interest, although the feeling from the top is that we should be seen to be 'doing our bit' as well.

Because of the need for brevity and the fact I have one week to do it I am going to have to focus exclusively on regular officers, although I am happy to hear comments about other ranks and reservists.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Just bad timing. Now if you were threatening a TV doc on the sex life of the disabled.............

Sent from my Nexus 7 using ARRSE mobile app
  3. IN terms of attributes I'd focus on being able to work within very tight timelines on restricted budgets.
  4. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Just out of interest, did you have a rank/age group in mind? Are we talking post short service commission Lt/Capts, senior Capts, post IPP Majors/Lt Cols, etc. In my opinion each of those represents significantly different strengths/weaknessess and aspirations.
  5. Be honest with yourself and them. Ex-military officers per se bring no unique skills, especially valuable experience or guarantee of quality. No firm, global or British, owes us anything.

That said, I think many large organisations would benefit from taking on skilled professionals looking at a career change, and in that context would do well to view most ex-officers as a broad equivalent to their civilian peers in blue chip firms.

Before the slagging begins, yes I do know many ex-officers who are tough, motivated, adaptable leaders and managers who would be an asset to most employers & quickly prove their quality & potential.

But I also know a great many journeymen and - more importantly - a large number of guys who took a couple of years to work out what they wanted from their life outside the Army. If I were looking for good, fast-stream like guys to recruit I would actively seek to recruit the first group and keep a watching brief for those who, after a year or two in their wilderness career wise, show they belong to the first & demonstrate a commitment to their chosen field. This means getting relevant qualifications, and displaying potential in relatively junior roles - not banging on about how making minor tweaks to a training regime or tangentially running a budget already makes them a senior manager.

While going through resettlement I came into contact with a few well intentioned organisations such as ForceSelect & AddVantage seeking to pitch ex-forces officers as the equivalent of professional athletes & MBAs. They don't seem to be getting a good reception - I don't know anyone whose got a good job through them. Perhaps this is due to poor recruiters, or the economy but in large part its because its sadly not true.

My advice - for what its worth - is for both ex-officers & employers to ignore any idea of generic qualities of ex-military candidates and simply concentrate on what that person can demonstrate on their own merits. For many employers, simply not ignoring CVs from ex-officers would be a great step forward - which is why simply finding a contact to circumvent the usual channels seems to the best means of getting a good job on the outside.

The above aside, civvy managers are weakling ***** who should step aside for broad shouldered, square jawed, medalled, war proven commanders who could do their jobs in body armour with half the paperwork and still find time to play mess rugby in the CEO's meeting room. Cheers. :)
    • Like Like x 7
  6. Because their civilian peers don't, obviously.
  7. Thanks, yes-those are useful. Google is indeed my friend-I want to clarify that posting on Arrse is not my only source of research; I just want to get a wide range of views!

8. Yup, in my mind I had segmented the recruitment pool into subalterns and junior Captains; senior Captains; and Majors. I don't know enough about the more senior ranks to comment effectively.

9. PM Sent
  10. MPP - I seem to remember an ex BW officer working for RBC running a related campaign in Canada. The name doesn't come to mind but do a quick google and you might find a kindred spirit.
  11. Have a look at LinkedIn there are screeds of stuff on there regarding officers in Corporate roles. As to people to ask, there are two ex Queens Own Highlanders on there, one is very involved in search and selection for the Finacial services sector who has been in that sector since he left in the early 80s.
  12. Use the headings for the OJAR as a template, converting that into the phraseology and terms used in banking.

Also consider using values and standards of the British Army, being banking though you might have to explain a few - integrity, selfless commitment ;-)

Don't dismiss ORs in your considerations, there are some very switched on people out there.

13. Oi! Watch it! ;-)

Yep, agree ref OR Dingerr-unfortunately I have one opportunity to potentially get my ideas noticed by 'them on high' and if it's longer than two sides of A4 and takes longer than a week to draft it just won't get read. Hopefully though, this initial piece of work will highlight the broader agenda.

Incidentally, I have encountered an ex ACC Cpl and ex RLC driver in banking-neither in "Wall St" type roles but both making seriously good money (£60k+ pa?) considering how far they've come.