ex-mil-IT-ary (ex-services involved in the IT industry)

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Olive_Jobs_Feedback, May 25, 2009.

?
  1. Yes

76.9%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Don't think so

7.7%
  4. Don't know

15.4%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There have been occasions in civvy street when the person I have been dealing with has been quite unresponsive until we realise we are both ex-military and the atmosphere has changed for the better.

Because of this I joined a networking site and created a group to help ex-military within the IT industry to network.

Created to help each other with IT business opportunities, IT employment opportunities, and IT training opportunities.

See:

http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistration?gid=1951689

2. My experience varied depending on context, when I left the service I made the decision to get out of the defence game completely. To reduce the risk I continued to follow up defence industry leads anyway; giving myself a drop dead date six weeks before my Tx date.

In the defence industry I found that ex-service tended to be very focussed on my network, steering me towards sales jobs rather than delivery. Although it did provide a useful shorthand, there was a lot less effort needed to explain my background. I'm not convinced that was all that useful as the main effort for finding a job outside was in expressing my background in terms that made it attractive to an employer.

For what it's worth, now that I'm on the other side of the fence it can be useful to develop a relationship and knowing there is some shared background is quite handy.

All that said, networking is useful, and LinkedIn is quite a handy tool for supporting that.

3. FWIW

I recruit from time to time, and all things being equal, I ALWAYS apppoint ex military over the soft unreliable civvy equivalent!