EX Long Look Experiences

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by maxixe_97, Feb 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some of you will remember the feeling - being called into the boss' office and asked (told?) that you have been nominated for Exercise Long Look. For me, it was the military equivalent of winning the lottery (1990 in Germany, Berlin during reunification, etc).

What were your experiences? Bad, good or fcuking terrific?

Let rip.

2. Just wait for The_Guru to wake up....

He'll be all over this like a rash.

Apparently he's been to Australia you know.....

3. I got New Zealand in '98 and had an awesome time. As contingent WO, I spent my time working initially at the High Commission before getting my escape plan to work at Trentham, played huge amounts of hockey both for NZ Army and civvy in between visiting the troops on both North and South islands with regular beer fests.

Shame you can only do it once eh!

4. I did Ex Long Look' to New Zealand in 1979, working between Whenauapi and Papakura. Fantastic trip, rounded off with a short spell of leave in Russell up in the Bay of Islands.

Worst part of the trip ? Waioru (?) what an utterly featureless moonscape of a place that is not helped by the incessant rainy weather that month. I should have known that there was a catch. I'm still in touch with some of the characters that I met there.

5. Fcuk me, I'd forgotten about that.....

6. Anybody Sigs remember "PANDA" the SQMS from 280 Sigs???

He did one to NZ and came back with stories of Jumps with the NZ "THEM" and many other large tales.

Got to know ALL of the NZ Sigs as he said "there are only 45 people in the NZ Signals.

Good egg tho .

Anybody else know why he was called PANDA tho?

7. How do you apply to go on on LONG LOOK?

Berlin

8. I did Long Look in 92 with 3RAR, had an absolute ball (thanks C Coy) - had to drink the the Shat Special (top shelf) 3 times in the end and beat one of the snipers from Recce (or Recon as some of them called it) called Tomo in the dance of the flaming arrseholes. Did Canungra, Townsville, Melbourne and North Western Aus as well as being stationed 30 mins on the train from the centre of Sydney. Absolutely brilliant.

How do you get on it? See your OC I suppose - my OC told me there was a vacancy for an Armd Inf Cpl to go their Mech Bn and wanted me to go - I obviously thought 'oh really - there's no way that's going to happen and forgot about it. A few weeks later I got a big brown envelope with my joining instructions in it - ended up spending 4 months with their Para Bn - one of the best things I've done in the Army.