Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by theinventor, Jan 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I was a lad, we had a Lab who had been re-roled as a pet having been RTU'd from his gundog training (scared of loud noises I seem to recall).

He was a great dog, obedient, gentle, good with kids etc. Were we just lucky, or can dogs bred for working make good pets?

I'm starting to look for another dog, and would happily re-home a young failed gundog if I thought there was a good chance of "same again".

Opinions welcomed...
  2. Not sure but www.dogstrust.org.uk now have a facility to search for dogs by breed and Battersea www.dogshome.org also have this facility. My *ancient* retriever is now serving out her retirement with me.
  3. Two of my labs are retired gun dogs and have adapted readily to living as family pets and were adopted. One was scared witless by usual domestic situations, terrified of bearded men but over a period of time, she has overcome her nervousness. The other one has always been confident in any situation.
  4. My own lab was trained for the gun. Was binned as she couldn't stand loud noises. Been a family pet now for the past four years. Fantastic dog. Gentle, obedient, great with Foggy junior. Not sure if its relevant but she is a, well, she. Interested to know from anyone who might be better informed than myself if the sex of the dog makes it more suitable for a family with kids. Dog or bitch. Much/any difference?
  5. Dunno about gundogs but my current dog started life as an outdoor kennel living sheepdog. Came in from the cold at age about 18 months and house-trained herself within 3 days, on death of previous pet. Came to Ireland and slept under my bed in the Mess, learned that the dining room was off-limits in one day. Great pet - and still the brightest dog I've ever met.

Farmyard mongrel, mostly bearded collie.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Two of mine are bitches and the other a dog, I don't really see much of a difference regarding loyalty or behaviour. I think it is a personal preference, generally, a dog has more presence than a bitch.

When I got my dog, I had intended to add another bitch to the mix but the dog just bowled me over, smashing character; he is very much my dog rather than anyone elses in the family.
  7. No real experience of re homing labs but working for a busy springer rescue I do re home a fair few supposedly failed gun dogs, as well as ex workers, as in no longer wanted because they've come to the end of their useful working life, given the right approach and attitude they all settle in to life as a pet quickly.

Occasionally a dog used to kennel life doesn't take to living in doors, either they prove very difficult to toilet train or they just prefer to spend days indoors with owners and nights out doors in a kennel.

It's interesting that we've had failed gun dogs go on to be successful passive and active detection dogs with the police, I put that down to a different approach to training that suits that particular dog.