EX Ghurka Officer Tony Hart.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Barrack Room Lawyer, Jan 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Died today aged 84, no official story just breaking news on the BBC.

Tony Hart website

sooba ratri Sir, :salut:
  2. I hope Morph and Chaz give the eulogy!

Edited for mongness!
  3. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Used to love Morph. Classic, school night staple TV. Submitted loads of stuff to 'The Gallery', but never got anything on telly. Must have been because I am s hit at art in all its forms.
  4. You don´t get kids presenters like this anymore.

Who´d have even thought the kindly artist could have ever been in the Forces, as he invited you to "take a look at the gallery".

Bear in mind he wanted to be an RAF Air Gunner to start with, and must have known of the terrible fatalities suffered by such men. Instead a Commision with the Gurkhas for 3 years.

RIP, extra poinant as my Gran has recently died.

Re Morph and Chas. I´d get Morph to do the eulogy, Chas was always too naughty, I wouldn´t trust him with an event of such gravity. Maybe Morph could take "Nailbrush" for comfort (his dog BTW)?
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I'll bet the Beeb don't do any re-runs of Packi the Elephant as a memorial to Tone.
  6. RIP Tony.
  7. Sad news. He was a top bloke.

I seem to remember we had a lengthy discussion about him and a few other old school children's presenters a couple of years ago;

Johnny Morris, Johnny Ball or Tony Hart?
  8. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7836112.stm

I always watched his stuff as nipper, insisted on it, Morph was great, a timeless classic. I had no idea that he had served, as Chocolate Frog says you just don't get presenters like this anymore.

Still he had a good run and did a hell of a lot of good for youngsters myself included.
  9. To me, this bloke summed up everything that exemplified old-school Britishness, and I only wish we had more like him. A wonderful guy, and the Gurkhas was a fitting place for him. I will always remember Take Hart as a kid. God bless you Tony.
  10. I had the pleasure of working with Tony Hart on a well known TV series some time ago and can honestly say that what you saw on TV was what you got in real life. A lovely chap.

Tony worked unscripted (I've only just found out via Sky News that he could learn lines) and made it all up as he went.

He had such a major influence on so many generations of kids - and it was all good clean fun. He is the end of on era.

Mind you Johnny Morris was good too. A real pro. He was doing his animal impressions right up until the end - when he croaked.
  11. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Top Bloke Rest in Peace Tony. End of an Era.
  12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Nice chap, and loved watching his programs when I was growing up BUT . . . .

Not a good enough reason for me to get home from walking the dog to find my missus blubbing on the sofa FFS! Silly tart.
  13. Vision on R.I.P TONY

14. Sad Loss.

You can still book him according to the website though?
  15. RIP

Per Ardua