Ex GF debate

Cake or Biscuit

• Cake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Biscuit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Now, I know this. It's gonna be a bit of a nurdy, boring answer, though, I'm afraid. When VAT (value added tax) was first introduced, my parents had a shop. VAT was on luxury items. Plain biscuits and cakes did not attract VAT, but chocolate biscuits did. There was some debate about it and, I THINK???? the verdict was that Jaffa Cakes were cakes (hence no VAT). But there's VAT on Bourbons.

Now, I know this. It's gonna be a bit of a nurdy, boring answer, though, I'm afraid. When VAT (value added tax) was first introduced, my parents had a shop. VAT was on luxury items. Plain biscuits and cakes did not attract VAT, but chocolate biscuits did. There was some debate about it and, I THINK???? the verdict was that Jaffa Cakes were cakes (hence no VAT). But there's VAT on Bourbons.
Good enough for me!

CAKE!

aparrently the test applied was...

A cake is soft when fresh, and goes hard when stale

A biscuit is hard when fresh and goes soft when stale

Jaffa cake is officially a cake (and therefore zero VAT rated)

bovvyblonde said:
There was a nice explanation of this on QI. The makers of Jaffa Cakes wanted to avoid VAT and correctly catergorise their product. So they baked a giant Jaffa Cake for the VAT board (?) that then had to decide whether it was a cake or biscuit. As we all know a biscuit will go soft if left and a cake will go hard if left out. That is the difference between the two.

For the life of my however I cannot recall whether the giant Jaffa Cake went hard or soft, thus making my post somewhat pointless.

Whichever way it went, I know that it meant they successfully avoided paying tax on their product.

i hate to spoil any illusions but it is obviously a biscuit. especially if you apply darwins theory of evolution to the debate. you will find that the jaffa cake is in fact a pseudo biscuit. thus making it an intermediary between cake and biscuit. not to mention the fact that the oxford english dictionary describes a biscuit as an unleavened cake. besides where would you find them in a supermarket - in the biscuit aisle.

so obviously a biscuit

My understanding was that if you bend the disputed item and it snaps, it is a biscuit, if it breaks or crumbles it is a cake.

I believe that was the answer as debated on QI.

Tummybanana said:
My understanding was that if you bend the disputed item and it snaps, it is a biscuit, if it breaks or crumbles it is a cake.

I believe that was the answer as debated on QI.
And now you've bought the snap and break situation into the arguement. A gingernut is a biscuit, but if its a moist gingernut it will break. Its still a biscuit. Your science is flawed.

bovvyblonde said:
But ANY moist biscuit will cease to exhibit biscuit-like characteristics.
A gingernut can be baked to be moist - any biscuit left out to fester will naturally moisten and break. If a biscuit is baked to be moist, should it therefore be a cake?

Sorry to disappoint all the biscuit fans but the question has been put to an international jury and the answer is clear.

Jaffa cakes do not exist in Europe they are called Soft CAKES. So it seems as if the EU has ruled on this thorny question and you know that resistance is futile and that you will be assimilated, so expect to see a name change very soon.

Latest Threads