• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

EX FORCES & HOMELESS BBC 1 22nd APRIL

EX FORCES & HOMELESS
Ken Hamas a former Royal Marine Major who served in the Falklands and the Gulf during his 27 years service investigates why a disproportionate of veterans end up on the street. This is on BBC 1 tonight 22nd April at 1035.
Should be worth watching.

Darthspud said:
Just about the only thing worth the licence fee this evening.

Lets hope it generates some positive press and real action
Well at least it is one of our own who is doing the reporting so it should be as good as it gets.

liz_the_nurse said:
Sad watching, but a reality.
Indeed.

Good to see PTSD being a prominent part, another brick removed from the wall of ignorance and stigma, hopefully. Pity Combat Stress hasn't been mentioned though. Great that it was on BBC1 and at a reasonable time.

I can’t imagine the trauma some of these guys are going through but was this documentary a Ken Hames battle with his own demons or really highlighting the plight of traumatised ex servicemen?

Its just a shame so few cases were on the program - however its obviously a step in the right direction with regards to the general public acknowledging the problems veterans can face and hopefully will help provide a solution to people in a similar situation.

Good Programme. Probably don't want to look like its a bit of a fob-off so there is a number to call and web support. Not bad. I'm properly looking for cracks here but it might have tried to relate itself more to current conflicts than the single mention in the last 2 mins.

Very Disapointing, It failed to show 1 per cent of the problem, really did not put over the situation very well.
Am I being spitefull in thinking this was a "Poor little rich Guy with Tough Dad and sad childhood" type of film hanging on the back of a very serious subject.

This should be shown earlier,not 2335Hrs!! :x

Ex-Forces and Homeless

On any given night in London alone there are thought to be more than a thousand homeless veterans, and in some parts of the country they number 12% of the homeless population.

In this moving and powerful film Ken Hames, a veteran of 27 years experience, takes to the streets to find out why so many ex-soldiers are homeless. And he's forced to confront his own demons as he realises he suffers the same post traumatic disorders as many of those he meets.

Subtitles Stereo Widescreen

Views lads?

just watched it and shame for the unfortunate ones on it, however, there are probably thousands going through the same thing, out of sight and out of mind with the public.
another part of the broken covenent and all parties are to blame.
watchout for more of these unfortunates in the near and distant future.

Very sad. What struck me was that the homeless ex-servicemen interviewed seemed so alienated from society. Although some had shelter, there was nothing (except alcohol) to help with their distress. I liked the apparent genuineness of the presenter, though remain unsure about so much of it being about his own problems. It is difficult to see how charity can reach those who are in such circumstances.

BobJamesCo said:
Very Disapointing, It failed to show 1 per cent of the problem, really did not put over the situation very well.
Am I being spitefull in thinking this was a "Poor little rich Guy with Tough Dad and sad childhood" type of film hanging on the back of a very serious subject.
yeah fair enough but how many programs have you seen on national t.v that have tried to address the problems servicemen and women are facing? hmm i cant think of any. so surely its a step in the right direction? even if it was a little too focused on his family life.

ADUX said:
I can’t imagine the trauma some of these guys are going through but was this documentary a Ken Hames battle with his own demons or really highlighting the plight of traumatised ex servicemen?
I think he's genuinely started out to highlight the fate of the homeless ex service personnel, but found himself facing his own issues full in the face.

I was fortunate to have had Ken as my DS on The Inf WO's Drinking Course, back in the 90's, a very sound engaging individual, when he spoke you listened, because he always talked sense. Watching him becoming emotional was a strange experience, it makes me suspect that there were a few guys and girls sat in front of their tv's tonight, pondering their own lives since leaving the army.

Not me of course.............doh

Latest Threads