• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Ex Dragon Recon

Taking place in Italy in October.

Anyone know anything about it?

Any hints, tips, warnings etc?

(Also posted in the multinational forum)

its a bit like a cadet exerise, nothing to hard. my mate did it last year and said it was badly organised and every one gets a trophy what ever the outcome, do the cambrian, much more of a challange

Ah well, sure it will be fun.

Found an Italian website which mentions it. If what you say about standards is true then the USMC coming 11th out of 12th when they entered a few years back is quite amusing (or should that read illustrative!)

I'll come back and brag if we do well. If we dont, I may go very quiet!

Well, I realise that you have all been sitting here, waiting to hear with bated breath to see how we got on on this competiton.

The competition was, as mentioned before, not too stretching but basically involved inf recce type skills.

We came third overall, which as I believe the highest place by a British team (PWRR) in the past was fourth isn't too shoddy.

oh, by the way, we're RAC

.... and TA! :D

Amusing sidenote - the Danes had tried to get a place on Cambrian patrol but lost out to another Danish unit. They were told that 'this was harder' .... good to see the Army propaganda machine works regardless of which nation you belong to.

Good point. Fairly abysmal result for the only reservist unit taking part in a competition held in a foreign language, using foreign kit and drills and in a role we arent experts in.

Note to self, must try harder :oops:

SittingDuck said:
Amusing sidenote - the Danes had tried to get a place on Cambrian patrol but lost out to another Danish unit. They were told that 'this was harder' .... good to see the Army propaganda machine works regardless of which nation you belong to.

...and from what I've heard, the Danish participation in Cambrian was cancelled due to budgetary constraits!

It should have been quite hard - there should have been an enemy force 'ironically called 'The Wicked'' according to the exercise brief crawling all over the area and docking points from people left right and centre. So theres us keeping to the backwoods and adding kms onto our route getting to the next stand and find, having left second in the packet, that we arrived last, wet/muddy up to our knees while the Italians seem to be remarkably clean having tabbed straight up the road in quick time. The enemy were obviously off having a fag.

Some of it was basic ITD stuff others were much harder - one stand required an indepth knowledge of how to wire up demolitions. Fortunately we had a civil engineer in the team. Other stuff like the CQB range with BB bullets was hilarious fun. Stripping and reassembling Italian weaponry with a whole 2 minutes of tuition was also interesting ....

In short it was a right mixture of stuff, billy basic and really complicated where small errors cost hugely.

I think that translation nicely sums up the entire event, though I think if you were Italian it would be quite difficult.
I mean you do do things from time to time, so for them it's not just a fashion parade. But I wouldn't say it was a waste of time, lol.

Tartan_Terrier, PM me and let me know what you would like translated. These on-line translations are a nightmare.
Off-thread: the Italian Beach Rugby League's website, when translated into English by one of the infernal machines, starts with three major errors in the first two words. The Italian says 'Cari amici'. English (machine) translation says 'Friends Dears'

Latest Threads