Ex Crab on Great British Menu

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Trans-sane, May 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

It hasn't been stated if he is a ex crab cabbage mechanic, but the guy is competing on the great british menus final. In fact after one round he is winning as his starter was rated best by the judges.

Having never eating RAF food I don't know if it is any good. So what are the odds he is a cabbage mechanic that can actualy cook? PS I believe he has a Mitchelein star but I aint sure. Haven't done much research on this as I'm about to go out.

2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I think he's an ex-occifer type.Anyhow,he was taught by Gordon Ramsay.

3. The one thing I remember about Crab messes was from a visit as a cadet to RAF Marham (or it might have been Swanton Morley) in the mid 1980's.

A WRAF by the name of Westerhoff. One of the most gorgeous things I'd ever laid eyes on!

Can't remember what the food was like....

4. I wish the ex crab nonce was literally on the menu..............

Deep fried and shredded.

5. trips to the raf cookhouse in aldergrove were a treat, usually only happened on R&R trips or once to the ranges there. not for the quality but for all the strange things like real milk, two or even three bits of bacon :D

6. Yea the bloke seemed an absolute arogant tosser.

The gordon ramsey theory explains all

7. Trans-sane

The way I see it, you save a months salary or wages to take the other half out to a mitchelein star restraunt the last thing you want is the chef lecturing you on healthy. Give me venison caramalized in duck fat with a butter sauce. And whatever passes for chips.

I eat healthy at least 5 days a week. Playing in my own time I want food that makes my arteries clang.

8. Too right. My favourite is swan's eyelids marinated in hummingbird saliva with a foam sauce made from a peacock's **** lining.

9. Mine too, although if you drizzle marmoset brain juice over it, it gives it more piquancy I find

10. Did anyone feel that they should mention he's a ginger ex-Crab??

Personally I think his food has been quite interesting but I am getting a really good vibe off Jason Atherton - another Ramsay-trained chef but affable and professional - whose beef dish just flicked my bean. Maze could be getting a visit form TFB and I soonish.

11. Maze is well worth a visit - even more so if you can get a group of you (6/8) together and book the Chef's table.

Jason Atherton is a proper chef - interested food/cooking rather than the next book deal

12. Trans-sane

Of all the chefs on that program the one whoose food interests me the most is Atul. But I must say that Jason's beef fillet and braised cheek looked superb. Let Jonny Foreigner cop a load of proper British beef and see what he thinks. French chefs the best in the world? Not for a decade or so.

13. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

To all those that are giving Chris Horridge a slagging (the ginger ex-crab), I have seen him cook and I have tried his food - it is excellent and every much as luxurious as any other Michelin starred chef I have ever had the joy of eating in their restaurants. He was trained primarily by Raymond Blanc, not Gordon Ramsay.

I am of the firm belief that he is on the front line of modern british cooking (even though he is an ex-crab!).

Jason Atherton is also excellent, in fact I would describe his food as ambrosia for the Gods, and I would actually like to see these two chefs represent the UK - because they represent what modern British cooking is all about.

14. That beef dish was to die for...I am also keen on Maze Grill, which will be a sort of carnivore's Maze!

I think the food this year has been excellent. Atul's great bad luck was to come up against a Jason Atherton on apparently top form. Tom Kitchin will be cooking my tea next Wednesday by the way, when I visit the porage mother ship!

15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Sorry,I knew it was one of them,got him & Atherton mixed up.
    But as someone who come's from the greatest city in the world,I'm rooting for a fellow Brummie,Glyn Purnell