Ex-chiefs demand more forces cash

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Biped, Nov 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

BBC Lickety Click

The pressure is starting to mount, and Broon and Broone have responded with a press release:

"La La La we can't hear you, La La La"

If you want to see their website, go to UK National Defence Association
  2. Having heard it on the news and started reading their web site, will they be able to make any impact on Politicians that are intent on ignoring everyone and pushing through their wants regardless of what the majority wish

Edited to add website link http://www.uknda.org/
  3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

4. I heard Col Bob on Radio 5 this morning, and he came across as a right old buffoon unfortunatly. If he is their regular spokesman, the message will be lost
  5. He was on breakfast TV. He didnt endear himself to me either. But lets hope that they get the message across.
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

If that's the case, I hope they get the message soon and find someone who is both telly-friendly, and sounds like someone that people can empathise with.

They are running a meeja campaign, and thus, they need someone who appeals to the meeja, or it will be an own goal, and lost before they even get off the ground.
  7. Can't help but think that all of the big cheeses mentioned in the Telegraph article should have done more to effect change whilst they were serving at the highest levels. None of them was particularly robust in dealing with their political masters. Maybe they were too dazzled by Blair and his celebrity circle style of government.

It's a vital message, to be sure, but I have the suspicion that these ex-senior officers are trying too little, too late in an attempt to salve their conscience.

Still, always the way, eh? Oiling the hinges on the stable door long after the horse has bolted.

Agree with the other posts above on Colonel Bob though. Seems to have lost his edge. Also, because he's trotted out so frequently as a commentator by all the main media channels and networks are we suffering from Bob fatigue?
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I've sent an email to the bods at NDA noting some of the comments on Col. Bob, and suggesting they try and find someone who appeals in the manner of some of the more succesful Evangelical Christian blokes in the US; the ones that get the mass appeal through their accent, use of language and general appearance.

I've told them that Col. Bob, as nice as he is, doesn't come across on air as the sort of bloke that EVERYONE can relate to.
  9. As this always gets trotted out; the question is "like what?"
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Just done a search for the top bloke Cdr. John Muxworthy, RN on t'interweb and by all accounts, the chap is working very hard indeed to promote the cause through prolific posting on newspaper and other forums. He seems to be doing very well getting publicity in other areas too. To be applauded.
  11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Whether ANY Government will actually listen is an open question, but at least the right noises are being made by some very intelligent people.

Let's not waste time looking back at what they "might have done" in the past. I suggest that there are few [if any] here who have enough insight into what might have been achievable.

Instead of throwing mud, let's be grateful that some extremely senior and intelligent officers from all 3 Services, and major figures from elsewhere, are trying to do something constructive.
  12. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Arrange following words in order.... chestnut, old, that.
  13. In light of the 'what if' comments made here, it would be interesting to see how the current crop of senior officers respond.
  14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I would assume some form of covert membership and support would be the order of the day. I don't suppose there would be any problems with membership for currently serving head-sheds as the UKNDA is apolitical, and not, to all intents and purposes, a protest movement (though if the heat is felt in No. 10, they might brand it as such.).

I'd say that as a grass roots organisation, with the exceptionally well-connected and powerful membership therein, it should be able to punch well above it's weight. Let's also remember (despite the fact that they've posted Col. Bob to the front line) that many of these people are media savvy in the extreme, and lucid in their argument.

I expect good things from this.
  15. Yeah, I know it's a recurring theme, but the phenomenon never seems to change. Mebbe I'll be the same when I get close to drawing my pension too.