Ex-boxing champ/soldier surprises muggers

Ex-boxing champ surprises muggers
Three muggers got a nasty surprise when they tried to rob a 67-year-old former British boxing champion.

George Bayliss, of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, who won a an amateur light-middleweight title 40 years ago, was attacked near his home on Tuesday.

When the gang tried to mug him, Mr Bayliss reacted by throwing a left hook and the gang ran off.

"They weren't up to much as opponents - I've faced much tougher people in the ring," said Mr Bayliss.

"They picked on the wrong man. I'm a southpaw, so I hit the ring leader on the chin with a left hook and all three ran off.

'Made big mistake'

"It's hard enough for me to make ends meet as it is. There was no way I was going to let them have my pension."

Mr Baylis, an ex-Army unarmed combat trainer, added: "I've got grey hair now, so perhaps they thought I looked a bit frail. But they made a big mistake."

Mr Bayliss won an ABA title in the late 1960s, and was runner-up five times.

"I'm only about 5ft 11in now and weigh about 13 stone, but I know how to take care of myself," he said.

"I won a National Senior Amateur title and I represented England three times as a boxer.

"The thieves obviously didn't know that, unfortunately for them."

A police spokeswoman said that Mr Bayliss' actions had probably prevented a more serious crime being committed, but she added: "We would never encourage members of the public to retaliate when they find themselves in a threatening position as they may provoke the situation and make themselves more vulnerable."

Police say the three robbers were all white and in their twenties. One spoke with an Eastern European accent, said the spokeswoman.
Outstanding that man :salut:

Source.

Sven said:
Didn't this happen some time ago, or have muggers been unlucky in choosing two different unarmed combat instructers
My late father was a handy amateur boxer in his young days, according to some accounts.
When he got to his mid 60s, he was a partially disabled and a drunkard.

He used to drink in the local, a real rough pub. One night he staggered in from the pub, the worse for drink, as was his habit. He told me some yob had tried to mug him in the toilets and he'd given him an upper cut that had left him sprawling in the urinals. Yeah, sure, I thought.

Some few weeks later, there's a knock on the door. It's a Man in a Suit.
"Is Mr Onetap Senior in?" asks Man in suit.
"No, he's out"
"Oh, that's a shame", says the man, producing a warrant card.
Oh shite, I think, what's the old git done now?
"I'm Detective Constable Whatsisname. Can you give him a message?"

"Your father made a complaint about an attempted robbery on such a date. We've made enquiries. A man answering the description given by your father was treated for a broken jaw in North Middlesex Hospital on that night. However, he gave a false address and we've been unable to trace him."

True.
Honest, guv.

japseyewarrior said:
A police spokeswoman said that "We would never encourage members of the public to retaliate when they find themselves in a threatening position as they may provoke the situation and make themselves more vulnerable."
This however is a very craven statement, no wonder violent crime is up.

armchair_jihad said:
japseyewarrior said:
A police spokeswoman said that "We would never encourage members of the public to retaliate when they find themselves in a threatening position as they may provoke the situation and make themselves more vulnerable."
Agreed I think this bloke and people like him are much more of a deterrent(sp?) to would be muggers than the police seem to be. People should be fully encouraged to defend themselves and recieve more support from the law when they do.

What a splendid gent. Makes you think of all that's still good in our society.

call_me_jack said:
armchair_jihad said:
japseyewarrior said:
Agreed I think this bloke and people like him are much more of a deterrent(sp?) to would be muggers than the police seem to be. People should be fully encouraged to defend themselves and recieve more support from the law when they do.
OTOH, what if the would-be muggers decides to up the ante by getting tooled up?

Still, I agree that the spokesperson went about it the wrong way. Should have kept his gob shut and avoided the issue altogether.

armchair_jihad said:
japseyewarrior said:
Typical, self-serving plod bull. 'Don't do anything yourself and call for us'...Don't make me laugh. They come out with statements like this to maintain a dependency culture among joe public. The public seem to be well-trained and buy this.

As for myself, I couldn't get them to turn up to take a statement or collect the half-brick thrown when it all but happened to me. If the police are not around to provide 'assistance' then they have no right whatsoever to pontificate. They seem to excel at the easy stuff - speed cameras on the M1 on a late Sunday morning in fine weather with no other cars on the road, but to get the useless feckers to turn up when a bit of work/violence is involved is another matter. All they seemed interested in, was 'is there a surveillance camera in the vicinity?' and chatting up the WPCs. No wonder some think that many police are overpaid, self-important and underworked tossers. As an 'emergency service' they have gone downhill since Hillsborough. Take away their patrol cars and helicopters and offices and put all of them back on the beat. And this is coming from someone who used to have police in the family. Then pass a law that alway gives the benefit of the doubt to any individual who confronts people uninvited into his or her home. Then watch the crime figures decline. I have lost count of the occasions that some policeman appearing on TV claims he can't do his job 'without the cooperation of the public'. Then when a member of the public tries and does his job for him, joe public gets criticised. Now which is it?

Scabster_Mooch said:
call_me_jack said:
armchair_jihad said:
japseyewarrior said:
OTOH, what if the would-be muggers decides to up the ante by getting tooled up?

Still, I agree that the spokesperson went about it the wrong way. Should have kept his gob shut and avoided the issue altogether.
Up the Ante ? Sorry, but this is a repetition of more self-serving copper-inspired crap. This has been repeated for 15 years to the best of my knowledge but the situation has got worse not better. Time then to ignore 'expert' advice from plod and introduce a change.

The people who break into your house to nick petty crap and threaten the pensioner out of his pension are unlikely to arm themselves with firearms! They know if they do then plod might actually get off their fat arrses and respond as they do take fire-arms related offenses seriously. Nope, what I think will happen is that there will be more scum with brain damage as a result of homeowners defending themselves. Am I wrong but here we are allowed to defend ourselves, but not our property? Change the law to that of the US where the homeowner can use force to defend both.

Great story and congrats to the former boxing champ.

However, it must be remembered that T.Bliar said on coming to power: "Tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime". This does not, repeat not, include being tough on the perpetrators of crime. Oh no, yobs and thugs of whatever ilk or origin must be protected to the full by the Human Rights Act (consult Mrs T.Bliar for advice on this Act).

I'm slightly surprised that the police spokeswoman did not announce charges were being prepared against the boxer! Give us all strength!

Onetap said:
Sven said:
Didn't this happen some time ago, or have muggers been unlucky in choosing two different unarmed combat instructers
He used to drink in the local, a real rough pub. One night he staggered in from the pub, the worse for drink, as was his habit. He told me some yob had tried to mug him in the toilets and he'd given him an upper cut that had left him sprawling in the urinals. Yeah, sure, I thought.
I think peccavi would be more applicable to your father! :pirat:

Cockles warmed Sir!

Rather like the time some gay bashers picked on some international ballet dancer. got themselves all kicked in the head! Ha! intolerant scum! they should all be put up against a wall and shot!

My former Boss, the President of the RN and RM Martial Arts Association, was bedecked in full rig having left a compulsory social, was approached by some lowlife who asked him the time. Realising that this was the precursor to a mugging, he went on the offensive and dropped the toerag. Not sure how the toerag would have gone to the police with that one.

"Some bloke dressed like a bloody Admiral has just given me a pasting, and I only asked him for the time...."

As he is 6'6", was the Captain of the University Karate Team, cycled from Land's End to John O'Groats for charity, is ridiculously fit and now kayaks for fun, said toerag may have been better served by assessing the challenge before trying it on!