Ex Army or Civie Now?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by StickyToffeePudding, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Former Soldier of Her Maj' - Once in always in!

2. I'm a Civie now - I have human rights and nobody can tell me what to do

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There are a number of good threads doing the rounds at the mo’ that got me thinking about life after a life in green.

Are you a former soldier, ex-squadie etc or are you ‘a civi now’.

One can usually tell the former. They turn up at least 5 minutes early, they have a ‘can do’ attitude, their clothes are clean (and usually ironed), their hair is neat, their shoes are clean and shiny and they have a stunner of a wife!

The later never stop telling the former how they’re ‘not in the army any more’, slack off and skive between breaks, only have clean clothes where they’ve been to see their mum, treat the working week as a holiday from hygiene and are single but sexually involved with a cartoon temptress or via their webcam!
  2. Are you spying on me?
  3. Does this mean I should stop doing bed blocks now?
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Put me down for both :D
  5. Definitely not! How the hell are your kids going to learn any discipline if you stop them making bed blocks!
  6. I used to say I would never be a civie, 7 years on I woke up one day and found I was one. Sadly a can do or will do attitude will get you shafted by lazy bastards who can’t do or won’t do and then leads to a civie fuckyou attitude look after number 1 as that’s what they are all doing.
  7. I was a lance/jack but my kids still call me the sargeant major, I once even made them bull their shoes for school.!!1 :)
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Well the nice thing is being able to choose, depending on the day of the week and prevailing mood...... 8)
  9. Careful, the Walt police will be on you like sh*t stuck to a blanket.

I tried to get my kids doing bedblocks and room inspections, lasted about 2 weeks till I thought they had learned to tidy up after themselves, the very next day it looked like the rough end of Haiti.

I intend to take the good squaddie traits and integrate them with the finer points of civvie life when I go next year............however I am struggling to find the latter.
  10. well done Duckula, My kids all said they couldn't bloody wait to leave home because of my " strict Rules " ha ha, I got the last laugh cos that's how they are with their own kids, I hear them say, well, it didn't do us any harm. Result.!!!!!
  11. I've been out for 15 years now (well, 15 years on 5th Feb) and I can agree with Auld Yin that the answer is "both".

Once in the civvy world of employment, you quickly learn to be a civvy yourself or get ground under by the shites who work there. Your idea of a good day's work is a mile away from theirs, as are your standards for things being "done right". You either learn to stand up to the spineless gimps called "senior managers" or they learn that you'll do whatever they say, including 9/10ths of their job. If you are a manager, you have to civvy up quickly as you'll not last if you expect people to do as they're told to a good standard.

Then there's the situations when you work with another ex-squaddie and you can get on with working hard to give yourselves extra time to get pissed. Civvies will often mention "cliques" of squaddies in companies who tend to look down on the civvies.

Outside of work though, you'll always be an ex-squaddie if you've served enough time. I'd doubt if you could become a proper civvy again.
  12. Nearly 3 years out from my 22 and still cant get my head around civie mentality, but I can pick out a slacker, waster and barrack room lawyer from a 1000 paces and steer clear of them. luckly enough there are a few ex forces work mates and we normally hang out together and wont let any civie into our inner scantum as they just dont understand us
  13. A perfect example of a "clique" as mentioned in my post above :D
  14. Likewise i am 3 years out from my VEng, but if i could get my head around being a civvie then i would go at the 22. But as yet have not got a clue as to what i want to do when i get out, so how do you re-settle when you have no idea what to re-settle into! :?
  15. Been out over 30 years now, still adjusting.

Fcuking hate civis though.