Ex Army Legends

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by RogueTrooper, Dec 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was thinking to myself the other day about Dame Kelly Holmes (retiring from athletics etc) and was wondering if we could come up with a comprehensive list of Ex Army folk who left to become famous/legends, perhaps with a bit of a write up....

Anyone want to start the bidding :?:

2. James Cnut!

3. Scuse my ignorance, but who he?

4. James Blunt - H Cav.

May I add that tw*t Will Carling - dropped out of Sandhurst to pursue rugby career and Diana.

5. How about contemporaries of the great ex-boys and girls penning a suitably legal fire-proof dit on their erstwhile comrades. For example I was at University and in the same OTC as Will Carling. I say in the same OTC, he turned up once and then was never seen again...too busy with rugby foopball. Yet somehow I managed to play in the same team as him and still fill my spring and summer months with OTC. Of course he probably had to spend quite a lot of time on his remedial reading and writing courses! I always laugh when they describe him as Durham psychology graduate - General Sciences, Honours B that will be...

6. The laughing boy Kris Akabusi. PT Corps and pantomime nob 1st class.

7. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Tim Rodber - Kept drawing his military salary for quite a while whilst wearing the England
    rugby shirt.

8. RAF underwood???

9. David Niven; the epitome of 1930's 'officerness'. Wizard japes in the mess, 'I say, the C.O.'s in a frightful wax about something - have you been wearing brown shoes or something old boy?', 'BOY! whisky-soda blancha!', smart moustache and stiff upper lip....
    Did the smart thing and stayed out of the Roll of Honour by jacking it in for real in 1935 and going Hollywood. Starred in films whose scenes always included "Wizard japes in the mess, 'I say, the C.O.'s in a frightful wax about something - have you been wearing brown shoes or something old boy?', 'BOY! whisky-soda blancha!', smart moustache and stiff upper lip.

..and of course Jim Bowen's always wheeled out at the passing out parade for Chavs-on-telly-50's-style (super smashing great you've passed out well done give her a kiss eh up my mother in law)

10. Sport
    Josh Lewsey Who is currently on a mission to play for England in every back row position
    Guy Whittingham (Pompey)
    Steve Welsh(P'Boro, Partick)
    Phil Stant (Mansfield etc)
    Mick Cheetham (Cambridge)

And slightly OT, a fella that I was in trg with was on that Noels House Party thingy where they hide cameras in yer sitting room.

11. Henry Cooper (splash it all over)
    RAOC boxer in national service

12. Was in the same unit as Phil Stant when we was in 6 Fd Force in the 'shot

13. ho ho ho, and of course you were more successful than he was to...oh...maybe not!

14. Leslie Grantham.........ex-Fusilier, actor and shooter of boxhead taxi drivers.

The Krays.............ex-Fusiliers, club owners and tappers of kneecaps...................is there a link here??

15. Paddy Doyle ex 2 para - Officially the worlds fittest man