Ex Armed Forces ODP suspened for one year by HPC

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Bedpan2zero, Nov 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Castle-Hill-hospital-worker-suspended-laughing-gas-abuse/article-1491641-detail/article.html

DONT DO IT FOLKS - it ain't worth it!

A HOSPITAL worker was found lying unconscious in a pool of his own urine after spending two days inhaling nitrous oxide.
    Jason Warner was on call at Castle Hill Hospital, Cottingham, when he repeatedly abused the drug – also known as laughing gas – which is used to anaesthetise patients.
    A hearing in London was told Mr Warner, a former medic in the Armed Forces, took the drug when he could have been called to assist in life-saving operations.
    As reported on the Mail's website yesterday, the Health Professionals Council – a health professions regulator – was told he had resorted to abusing the gas to deal with personal problems.
    Sophie Kemp, for the council, said Mr Warner, an operating department practitioner (ODP) at the hospital since February 2007, was on duty over the weekend of July 26 and 27 last year.
    After finishing his scheduled work at 2pm on the Saturday, he went into the cardiothoracic theatre at the hospital to abuse the gas, the council heard.
    It was not until Monday morning that a fellow ODP, Jackie Crow, discovered Mr Warner unconscious and "in a pool of his own urine in the theatre, with anaesthetics circuitry held to his mouth".
    "She saw him propped against the wall with the nitrous oxide against his mouth or nose," said Ms Kemp. "She pulled the circuitry off and, at that point, she could smell the gas."
    She and a male colleague helped him to the men's toilets to change into a fresh surgery gown before being admitted to A&E.
    Mr Warner later told hospital investigators he recognised he was developing an addiction to nitrous oxide.
    "He admitted it gave him a feeling of euphoria and he had experienced hallucinations during the course of that experience," Ms Kemp said.
    "It appears he was fully aware of what he was doing and had his own strategy for dealing with the on-call situation.
    "If caught on call having abused the gas, he would flush it out using 100 per cent oxygen. The panel may consider this suggests significant planning."
    Mr Warner admitted to abusing the gas five or six times over the previous month, although he said it had always been after work and he had not previously done so while on call.
    Lesley Gratrix, then service manager for theatres at Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs Castle Hill, said Mr Warner was on 24-hour call to assist an anaesthetist in case of an emergency operation.
    The hearing was told that, had an emergency taken place, he was the only ODP on call.
    Mr Warner said: "That event I found a life-changing experience, because I realised at that time I needed help. I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.
    "While I appreciate the realistic outcome of my actions could be catastrophic to me, I feel my coping strategies are now good.
    "I know in myself I can work in the vicinity of nitrous oxide and I will never abuse it again."
    Mr Warner "absolutely" accepted the allegations of misconduct and that his use of the gas constituted a risk to patients and brought his profession into disrepute.
    He said: "The first time I did it [took the drug at work], I thought after, 'What the hell am I doing?'
    "But the more I went downhill personally, the less I regarded the risk to the patients."
    He also told the panel he felt isolated at work after hearing a rumour he had been "helping myself" to controlled drugs.
    Mr Warner was dismissed by the hospital in November last year and has since worked as health care assistant for an agency.
    Amanda Hart, representing Mr Warner, told the hearing he had a history of "relatively minor substance abuse", including cannabis and other recreational drugs, and "a couple of incidents of alcohol abuse".
    She said Mr Warner had "rehabilitated himself in relation to the incident" and was "unlikely to go back to substance or drink abuse".
    She said the events had been a "huge wake-up call", adding: "This is not a sudden change of heart, but a long road that he has travelled and no doubt will continue to travel for the rest of his life."
    The panel chairman, Ian Griffiths, said, although Mr Warner was a man of previous good character, his misconduct had put patients at risk and he would be barred from practising for a year.

2. Jase was never a ODP in the Army, he left a number of years ago as a CMT and went in to ODP training. Not suprised this is happened with the way his life was going but its no excuse..... kept this quiet!!!! time for the abuse to start.

3. Agreed CV, this bloke was never an Army ODP, Maybe the title should be changed to:

Ex-Armed Forces CMT who trained as a Civilian ODP once he had left the forces, suspended for one year by HPC

If he was an ex-Army ODP, he'd have never been so much as a nancy to be using poncy Nitrous oxide! and he wouldnt have been on his own, he would have been surrounded by shagged out nurses dressed in nothing but top level lingerie!

if you want a stab at old Army OTTs getting nailed for sexual harressment though, have a flick through the HPC register, you wont have to go back too far (its not me though, none of my victims could give evidence, theyre buried under the patio of my last quarter)

4. or chopped into little bits with your chainsaw........... :eek:)

5. that reminds me, i need to get a new chain!

6. Just checking would he, the nurses or all of them been in the lingerie?

7. ^^^^^Knowing Jase, he would probably be in Lingerie also^^^^^

8. would have fitted in well then

9. Feck if I worked in Hull I'd be on the stuff too.

10. bloody big heterosexual...nitrous oxide.....should have at least been a decent drug (not that i would condone that sort of behaviour!!), but, being an ex cmt, his only access to his body was through his mouth as he stood absolutely no chance of getting a cannula in a vein !! ...... :eek:)

11. ha ha... i read that too, shit, he must have been like a bloody octopus, 10 counts of sex pesting or something similar, nice to see how our glorious leaders go out to grass.

at least we had the decency to wait till someone said yes !! ... :D

12. How true.... I still have a scar on the back of my hand from when he tried to cannulate me in '98

13. doesnt time fly ...

Hospital worker barred after laughing gas binge is told he can return to NHS work

Hospital worker barred after laughing gas binge is told he can return to NHS work

FIT TO PRACTICE: Daniel Jason Warner has been cleared to work in hospitals after being banned for abusing nitrous oxide

A HOSPITAL worker found unconscious following a two-day binge on nitrous oxide has been cleared to return to work for the NHS.

Daniel Jason Warner was fired from his job at Castle Hill Hospital and then barred from working in hospitals by the Health Professionals Council.

Mr Warner was an on-call operating department practitioner (ODP) at the Cottingham hospital in July 2008 when he repeatedly abused the drug – also known as laughing gas – which is used to anaesthetise patients.

At a hearing in London last year, it was heard how Mr Warner, a former medic in the Armed Forces, took the drug at a time when he could have been called to assist in life-saving operations.

He was suspended for 12 months.

But the Health Professions Council held a conduct and competence hearing on Monday, and a panel over-turned the ban.

A report stated: "The panel was extremely impressed by the efforts that Mr Warner has made to maintain his professional knowledge and the useful and relevant work that he has undertaken during the period of suspension.

"It is satisfied that he has shown commendable insight into – and taken all steps necessary to address the issues that led to his offending behaviour and is of the view that, in consequence, the risk of a recurrence is remote.

"Mr Warner's fitness to practice is not impaired at this time. Accordingly, the order of suspension imposed is revoked."

At the hearing, it was heard how he resorted to using the drug because of personal problems.

After finishing his scheduled work at 2pm on the Saturday, he went into the cardiothoracic theatre at the hospital to abuse the gas, the council heard.

It was not until Monday morning that another ODP, Jackie Crow, discovered Mr Warner unconscious and "in a pool of his own urine in the theatre, with anaesthetics circuitry held to his mouth".

She and a male colleague helped him to the toilets to change into a fresh surgery gown before admitting him to A&E.

Mr Warner admitted to abusing the gas five or six times over the previous month, although he said it had always been after work and he had not previously done so while on call.

14. Bedpan2zero you chopper, exactly the same as your original post... this fella ALSO was NEVER an Ex Armed Forces ODP!

Get a grip, you've obviously got far too must spare time on your hands... Maybe you should take up a career in writing fiction cos you obviously have an aptitude for it.

15. a non-story about someone who was never an Army ODP from a year ago is resurrected! which part of 'he was never a Army ODP' dont you understand?