Ex. ??????? (!980)

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by rmgbem, May 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Memory fade is creeping in! - anyone remember the name of of the MOD wide Mobilisation Exercise to BAOR in 1980?

I have loads of photos of self and many others from 3 BAPD RAOC setting up Leuth staging area, just off the E3 Autobahn, prior to a Scottish Regiment coming in and taking over for the main deployment phase. Just can't remember the name.

2. CRUSADER 80 I reckon, what a great laugh. :D

3. Bold Guard or Crusader

4. I was still at school at the time, so not on it - are you thinking of Lionheart?

5. The overall name for the exercise was Crusader, but the BAOR phase was called Spearpoint. 1,2 & 4 Divs + the Arty Div took part in the BAOR ex play while 3 Div provided the umpires. 5 Fd Force also deployed from the UK.

6. Crusader 1980.

Lionheart 1984.

Ex Lionheart

7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Then the return match:

BRAVE DEFENDER 1985

8. Crusader 80 I was 3 Div we spent about 6 weeks in various schools, playing fields and sports centre providing not so top notch noduf medical cover, I think my Field Ambulance treated about 3 casualties during the period as they kept sending us to the wrong places to support anyone. As I remember there were a shite load of deaths and casualties at one stage they were considering stopping exercise play as the attrition rate was so high.

9. Did them both while at 22 Sigs Regt hill 309.
    Couple of Vogalsangs as well.Happy days.

10. Think there was a Bold Guard 88 as well.

Trotsky

11. Crusader 80. Not nearly as much fun as the next 2 years, Red Claymor and Red Gauntlet .
    Did I really waste my yoof on these exercises.

12. Dunno,I was on the other side of the IGB,watching Waffenbrüderschaft 80,much more fun! :lol:

13. Crusader 80, may still have the naff quality t-shirt they were selling somewhere.
    Learned what apfelkorn was for on that one, stood me in good stead for later exs.

I too remember that bit about a high casualty rate, an uncle was part of the Umpire set-up and I quizzed him afterwards, he affirmed that it was high without giving any figures. Rumour Control in Sennelager placed it at 75, but obviously rumours and reality don't often coincide, still a high number though.

14. Remember Lionheart being especially big 'twas even big enough to make the main news in some kind of extended special report.
    Was a make or break time for a lot of TA, it being compulsory but not actual mobilisation meant if your boss didn't give you time off you had to jack it in.

15. Wasn't B.A.O.R Ex Crusader and U.K.L.F Ex Spearpoint?. I am senile :? .