EWSI or power engineer

I have my assessment centre in about a month and I’m pretty split between these 2 roles of electronic warfare and power engineer I know the quals for power engineer are pretty great. However when in the army is the trade experience any decent? I’m also wondering the same about EW and what the role really entails as the website is kind of vague. Also somewhere down the line I’d also like to at least attempt selection for 18 signals regiment is this reg mainly for ew soldiers as it seems like the role suits this reg really well or are the chances the same for all sigs to get in? Anyway the quals look a bit lacklustre for ew but if the trade experience is great then may consider it. If anybody here can help answer any of these questions it would be great as I’m pretty split right now, cheers :)

If you want to spend your days in a room without windows EWSI is the way forward. The exposure to different organisations leads to strong employment opportunities in the future.
Power Engineer is fine but you're running cables and plugging them in to generators. Very few places let you do anything beyond basic servicing of generators...that's all contracted out. Also, you can work your way towards being an electrician in any trade. Oh, the RE and RAF have equivalent trades, that do a lot more. If power interests you, TG5 Elec is probably the way forward.

Last edited:
Firstly, you might want to post this in the Royal Signals forum.
If you want to spend your days in a room without windows EWSI is the way forward. The exposure to
Firstly, you might want to post this in the Royal Signals forum.
If you want to spend your days in a room without windows EWSI is the way forward. The exposure to different organisations leads to strong employment opportunities in the future.
Power Engineer is fine but you're running cables and plugging them in to generators. Very few places let you do anything beyond basic servicing of generators...that's all contracted out. Also, you can work your way towards being an electrician in any trade. Oh, the RE and RAF have equivalent trades, that do a lot more. If power interests you, TG5 Elec is probably the way forward.
ok thanks I will post this in the sigs forum and see what they say. And yeah my mate is in re and he says it’s the best reg and keeps trying to convince me to it
different organisations leads to strong employment opportunities in the future.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
EWSI is one of those roles where the amount of information available publicly is quite carefully controlled. It's not just windowless rooms, there are all manner of interesting roles available and, as @Kroneit44 suggests, the post-Service opportunities are very good indeed. The training can be quite challenging and it's decidely not for everyone, but if you're fairly bright with a good sense for analytical thinking, you'd probably enjoy it.

Latest Threads