Evil Eye on turret

#1
Just come back from Greece and was having a conversation with someone about the Greek 'evil eye' that was on their ancient ships. I seem to remember that there was a Regiment in the RAC that had them on their turrets (possibly a peoples cavalry mob to make them a bit more interesting? :D )

Any help and piccys most welcome, Google doesn't bringup anything but knowing the Regiment would be a bit of a boon!
 
#3
StumpyHussar said:
Just come back from Greece and was having a conversation with someone about the Greek 'evil eye' that was on their ancient ships. I seem to remember that there was a Regiment in the RAC that had them on their turrets (possibly a peoples cavalry mob to make them a bit more interesting? :D )

Any help and piccys most welcome, Google doesn't bringup anything but knowing the Regiment would be a bit of a boon!
4 RTR did and the 1st RTR have inherited and still have 'The Chinese Eyes' on both CR2 and Fuchs today!!!!
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...ages?q=1RTR&start=40&gbv=2&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N
RTR were always 'interesting', much tradition born of Tanks even in our relatively 'short' history!!!
 
#4
The Guards Div had them too. Possibley the Irish Guards when they were in Tanky mode.
 
#6
By coincidence I saw Clarkson in a Range Rover Sport being chased by a Chally 2 which was wearing said 'Chinese Eyes' on the telly on Friday night.
 
#7
Arthur3bums said:
StumpyHussar said:
Just come back from Greece and was having a conversation with someone about the Greek 'evil eye' that was on their ancient ships. I seem to remember that there was a Regiment in the RAC that had them on their turrets (possibly a peoples cavalry mob to make them a bit more interesting? :D )

Any help and piccys most welcome, Google doesn't bringup anything but knowing the Regiment would be a bit of a boon!
4 RTR did and the 1st RTR have inherited and still have 'The Chinese Eyes' on both CR2 and Fuchs today!!!!
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...ages?q=1RTR&start=40&gbv=2&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N
RTR were always 'interesting', much tradition born of Tanks even in our relatively 'short' history!!!
Thank e kindly sir! I will look for pics under 4 RTR. Is this a fact as well?:

"Keeping with another tradition started in WWI when a Chinese businessman covered the cost to have a tank built, there is a “Chinese Eye” painted on the front face of the turret stowage bins"
 
#8
StumpyHussar said:
Arthur3bums said:
StumpyHussar said:
Just come back from Greece and was having a conversation with someone about the Greek 'evil eye' that was on their ancient ships. I seem to remember that there was a Regiment in the RAC that had them on their turrets (possibly a peoples cavalry mob to make them a bit more interesting? :D )

Any help and piccys most welcome, Google doesn't bringup anything but knowing the Regiment would be a bit of a boon!
4 RTR did and the 1st RTR have inherited and still have 'The Chinese Eyes' on both CR2 and Fuchs today!!!!
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...ages?q=1RTR&start=40&gbv=2&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N
RTR were always 'interesting', much tradition born of Tanks even in our relatively 'short' history!!!
Thank e kindly sir! I will look for pics under 4 RTR. Is this a fact as well?:

"Keeping with another tradition started in WWI when a Chinese businessman covered the cost to have a tank built, there is a “Chinese Eye” painted on the front face of the turret stowage bins"
Yup in general terms albeit that if you look at Chieftains of 4RTR they were painted on each side front quarter of the turret.
4RTR hav an excellent re-union site with loadsof galleries of such things mate.
 
#9
Arthur3bums said:
StumpyHussar said:
Arthur3bums said:
StumpyHussar said:
Just come back from Greece and was having a conversation with someone about the Greek 'evil eye' that was on their ancient ships. I seem to remember that there was a Regiment in the RAC that had them on their turrets (possibly a peoples cavalry mob to make them a bit more interesting? :D )

Any help and piccys most welcome, Google doesn't bringup anything but knowing the Regiment would be a bit of a boon!
4 RTR did and the 1st RTR have inherited and still have 'The Chinese Eyes' on both CR2 and Fuchs today!!!!
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...ages?q=1RTR&start=40&gbv=2&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N
RTR were always 'interesting', much tradition born of Tanks even in our relatively 'short' history!!!
Thank e kindly sir! I will look for pics under 4 RTR. Is this a fact as well?:

"Keeping with another tradition started in WWI when a Chinese businessman covered the cost to have a tank built, there is a “Chinese Eye” painted on the front face of the turret stowage bins"
Yup in general terms albeit that if you look at Chieftains of 4RTR they were painted on each side front quarter of the turret.
4RTR hav an excellent re-union site with loadsof galleries of such things mate.
You're a gent and a scholar thank you (you must've been Cav in a previous life 8) )

Nice work on your website by the by.
 
#10
Indeed thank you all gents I'll have a butchers at the Guards Armoured Div as well.
 
#11
StumpyHussar my friend
I wore baggy black skin and am proud of it!! Mind you, don't think my arrrrse's (all 3 of them would have fitted into jodphurs - of any colour or size). Cheers.
 
#12
Arthur3bums said:
StumpyHussar my friend
I wore baggy black skin and am proud of it!! Mind you, don't think my arrrrse's (all 3 of them would have fitted into jodphurs - of any colour or size). Cheers.
Those that mentioned the 'Chinese Eye' on the Guards, Jock Inantry etc are mistaken. Those units were awrded the 'Japs Eye' for being :? :? :? :roll: :wink:
 
#14
Thanks Soprano54 I quickly found the Guards Armoured pics and saw the error. Still didn't have one of 4 RTR though until your posting.

Cheers buddy
 
#16
The Chinese Eye was to "see the tank through adversity" it was stipulated by the business man who presented it that this had to be on the vehicle. The Tank was taken on by D Coy then through to 4 RTR and subsequently 1 RTR, incidentally there is a Chinese Eye on a hangar door at Nicosia Airport that is still visible in a certain light, from 4 RTR UNFICYP tour 1991.
 
#17
TARA said:
The Chinese Eye was to "see the tank through adversity" it was stipulated by the business man who presented it that this had to be on the vehicle. The Tank was taken on by D Coy then through to 4 RTR and subsequently 1 RTR, incidentally there is a Chinese Eye on a hangar door at Nicosia Airport that is still visible in a certain light, from 4 RTR UNFICYP tour 1991.
And a couple tattooooood on a certain officers buttocks ISTR!!! 8O .....................................WM! :D
 

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
#18
When 4RTR were RAC Training Regiment at Catterick in the early 70s when I did Pre-RCB there, the permanent staff NAAFI club was renamed The Chinese Eye with a magnificent example on the sign outside.

Having failed RCB (and subsequently joined RMP before telling them where to stick their truncheons and walking away) and decided to join anyway, I found myself back at Catterick under the tuition of the Skins, who had replaced them. The Chinese Eye was still the Chinese Eye in 1976 when I left for Omagh.

I vaguely recall the Scots DG had also been training regiment in between - or maybe 4RTR took over from Scots DG? I am sure that somebody who gives one will put me right.
 
#19
TARA said:
The Chinese Eye was to "see the tank through adversity" it was stipulated by the business man who presented it that this had to be on the vehicle. The Tank was taken on by D Coy then through to 4 RTR and subsequently 1 RTR, incidentally there is a Chinese Eye on a hangar door at Nicosia Airport that is still visible in a certain light, from 4 RTR UNFICYP tour 1991.
Its actually visible all day and very clear. I asked this question about the eye on the Hanger door a while ago. :)
 
#20
soprano54 said:
TARA said:
The Chinese Eye was to "see the tank through adversity" it was stipulated by the business man who presented it that this had to be on the vehicle. The Tank was taken on by D Coy then through to 4 RTR and subsequently 1 RTR, incidentally there is a Chinese Eye on a hangar door at Nicosia Airport that is still visible in a certain light, from 4 RTR UNFICYP tour 1991.
And a couple tattooooood on a certain officers buttocks ISTR!!! 8O .....................................WM! :D
would that be an LE officer by any chance who would make noises when there was a full moon?? :wink:
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Trackpen The NAAFI Bar 46
S Sappers 199
dogmonkey Classified Ads 0

Similar threads

Latest Threads