Everyone's Invited

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt
After a decade of soldiering I became a history teacher. And it's a rewarding job that I thoroughly enjoy. However, I am currently being asked to imagine that the busy, happy and well run (independent) school I teach at is a hotbed of "rape culture" where female students are subject to constant sexual harassment and assault.

The war on boys continues . . .

Welcome - Everyone's Invited

Do you condone rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment?
Are anonymous reports on an anonymous website a true indication of events? It wouldn't be the first time stories were invented or embellished to tarnish the career of someone in authority or someone has alleged these things "for a joke"
If these things are happening, then get the police involved.

Are anonymous reports on an anonymous website a true indication of events? It wouldn't be the first time stories were invented or embellished to tarnish the career of someone in authority or someone has alleged these things "for a joke"
If these things are happening, then get the police involved.

Should they all be dismissed? Should we turn a blind eye to such issues?

This isn’t purely about teachers, this is often about attitudes - young boys pinging bra straps, putting their hand up girls skirts and sexual bullying.

A recent news report identified children in the 11 year old year groups.

This isn’t fun, it’s unacceptable behaviour.

My past work as a local authority employee including several years working full time as a TU official meant I spent a lot of time in schools negotiating on behalf of staff and representing people in disciplinary situations, grievances and disputes etc.

I also served for several years as a school governor in the past and I’m a father of three children and grandfather to four grandchildren so far.

So I still hear a lot of things about schools even though I have no professional role around them any more.

My experience of schools is that while there are very good examples and some quite bad ones as well, there is one rule that is at the top of any schools agenda when it comes down to it.

First rule. Whatever takes place at a school that shouldn’t be happening is not the fault of the school.

Second rule. In the event of any doubt, rule one always applies.

Eyes_Right

Old-Salt
...I am currently being asked to imagine that the busy, happy and well run (independent) school I teach at is a hotbed of "rape culture" where female students are subject to constant sexual harassment and assault.

I don't think you are being asked to "imagine' anything of the sort. I think you are being presented with a report that says at 1 in 10 schools, pupils have reported cases of rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment. That is not a hard statistic to imagine at all. As dingerr mentions, "pinging bra straps, putting their hand up girls skirts and sexual bullying." are all sexually based misconduct, and very much the sort of thing pubescent males are more than capable of. This is exactly the time to shape and influence their own sense of socially acceptable behavior. Using phrases like "the war on boys" just falls into that lazy, journalistic idiom of trying to sensationalize a relatively ordinary (however unsettling) story.

I blame the Pakistani rape gangs/culture and illegal migrants for most of this crap that's going on.

The thing is and it's been shown, the Police are not interested and either are the social services and even the government seem to "whitewash" the whole thing. Start arresting/jailing/deporting all these scumbag foreigner rapists and everyone will be happier.

It still occurs in areas where no such culture exists.

Such instances are often written off as ‘it’s just boys being boys’ or ‘it’s just a bit of fun’.

My past work as a local authority employee including several years working full time as a TU official meant I spent a lot of time in schools negotiating on behalf of staff and representing people in disciplinary situations, grievances and disputes etc.

I also served for several years as a school governor in the past and I’m a father of three children and grandfather to four grandchildren so far.

So I still hear a lot of things about schools even though I have no professional role around them any more.

My experience of schools is that while there are very good examples and some quite bad ones as well, there is one rule that is at the top of any schools agenda when it comes down to it.

First rule. Whatever takes place at a school that shouldn’t be happening is not the fault of the school.

Second rule. In the event of any doubt, rule one always applies.
Second to last para: nail on head. Schools are where our society is shaped. I went to a fairly useless school, the kind where art teachers said things like “Call me Tarquin, I don’t believe on ‘Sir’”.
Our head still went around with authority. Cap and gown on Monday. Deputy heads delegated to deal with minor discipline stuff. But no disregarding issues. Kids being beaten up on the way home became a school issue.
I may be looking at this through the benefit of hindsight, but it was strong, calm leadership that went beyond the school gates and into the community.
The poor bloke had a heart attack, and had to retire early.
A good teacher is more than someone who doesn’t phone in sick too much. They add real value to a community.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
It'll probably get through eventually but, by Christ, at least you only have to punch the information into a computer once. Per the forum rules: bypassing the swear-filter - points. Racism - points.

gung_hobo

Old-Salt
Since being a child myself I have observed, experienced, evaluated and debated the merits of different educational systems. Awaiting incoming but not a problem.

I do not agree with co-ed. Boys and girls develop at different times and speeds, have different interests (at different times), learn in different ways (and do better in different types of assessment regimes) and fundamentally (I believe) need to be managed in different ways.

Note: In the para above, auto correct made "learn in different ways" into "learn indifferent ways". Sometimes I feel that is also true!

I think that generally single sex schools are more appropriate (not because of sex but because the ethos can be better aligned to the children).

Fundamentally I think that boys will indeed be boys. That is the problem, they are learning boundaries and their limits and they make a lot of mistakes. I think a lot of social mores of yesteryear were to either keep men/boys in check or to point them in the right direction. Forcing girls who do not know how to deal with boys learning their boundaries is unfair on the girls.

Girls are not perfect, nor are they paragons of virtue. I think however that co-ed was introduced because some ideologies felt that girls were somehow losing out (and in some ways that is possible), but the unintended consequences (failures) of short-sighted ideology mean that rather than a return to a system that by its nature would solve the issues now complained about, instead seeks to punish boys for making mistakes. Boys and girls are not the same (they should be equal), but I am not sure that equality is the intended end game for the ideologues.

GH

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt
I don't think you are being asked to "imagine' anything of the sort. I think you are being presented with a report that says at 1 in 10 schools, pupils have reported cases of rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment. That is not a hard statistic to imagine at all. As dingerr mentions, "pinging bra straps, putting their hand up girls skirts and sexual bullying." are all sexually based misconduct, and very much the sort of thing pubescent males are more than capable of. This is exactly the time to shape and influence their own sense of socially acceptable behavior. Using phrases like "the war on boys" just falls into that lazy, journalistic idiom of trying to sensationalize a relatively ordinary (however unsettling) story.

Try reading this.

morsk

LE
Could be worse, they could take part in competitive sport or even play conkers without crash helmets, shudder at the thought.
Surely rape IS a competitive sport?