Everyone puttin a downer on me joining - why?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by GeneralPurposeMachineGum, Apr 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been a civvy in the mod for about 8 years, mostly in army units, and I've finally taken the plunge and decided to join the TA. I do a desk job at the moment so my priority was to do something completely different, as much outdoor as possible with as much phys as possible: so I chose to join an Infantry unit (4 YORKS b coy).

I know the score, I've been in and around it for 8 years, I've even worked in ITC Catterick; so why is it that every f&*$er is trying to talk me out of it?! Mostly I'm getting it from regulars in other corps - Now I can understand why an AGC clerk is gonna put a downer on it; they just wish they had the balls to do it in the first place, but I'm pretty p!ss'd off with everyone else sticking their oar in.

/end rant - sorry for such a crappy first post, but I'd appreciate any comments, advice, comebacks!

EDIT: sorry posted in wrong area - meant to put this in the "Joining the TA" bit

2. Do what you want do and sod everyone else!

3. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Why do you give a flying fcuk what anyone else thinks?

4. They're just jealous. Only the elite get into that particular brick building.

We are talking about Middlesbrough, not Northallerton, aren't we?

5. I get stick most days from my civvy work mates about being in the TA. Ignore them. They can't stop you from joining and they can't stop you from enjoying yourself when you're in. All being said its YOUR decision and they should respect that.

6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A wise man once said: ''Being in the TA is much like wanking, all your mates know you do it but you wouldn't want them to see you at it.''

7. Having recently rejoined and I too have a speshal dull civvy 'mate' who tries but fails to give me stick about being in the TA.

Truth be known, his application form remains in the envelope and is only bought out on special occasions to impress his mates. To date his application shows no sign of being completed. His latest claim to fame is dodging calls from his local AFCO. :roll:

8. Are they trying to talk you out of being In the TA, or just infantry?

Your life do what you want with It.

9. I second what everyone else has said. Just do what you want.

And being in 4YORKS myself, I can tell you that you will have a lot of enjoyment and good training out of it. Go for it!

10. Go in with the attitude of who gives a flying f*ck what other ppl think!

11. is it because you might be an anorak?

12. :lol:

13. B Coy 4 Yorks.

Go for it and know that you are joining something special.

14. GPMG - It's your life, your decision and in the end your mistake or your salvation - whatever you decide make it your choice and live with it

15. Fcuk 'em! Get in, crack on and enjoy it! Then send them a postcard and a copy of your pay statement when you get your bounty!! Or, go one beter and join the Regs!!

Good luck and good fun!