Everest fisticuffs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Turret_Monster, Apr 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It appears that ignoring the safety advice of your Sherpas can have unexpected consequences on Everest. I understand that witnesses overheard one of the Sherpas shouting "I bet you weren't expecting us to be doing that now were you!" during the assault.

2. Darwin, he say, "Never make mistake of thinking your ego trumphs guide's experience". Better a black eye on your own face than a black band on your family's arms.

• Like Like x 1
  3. They weren't the climbers' guides - they were part of a separate expedition. Essentially the sherpas said "don't go ahead of us".

This is often a problem in mountaineering where a slower group is holding up a faster one - it's a bit like golf in that strictly speaking the group in front should invite the faster moving group behind to pass them. Some climbers do not wait for the invitation.

4. It has been the same for decades. There is queuing for popular Alpine routes as well (and has been for decades) but the stakes are lower for people - when they go to the Himalayas, and Everest in particular, they have invested a lot of time, effor, and money in getting there, so there is more of a "summit at any costs" attitude. There's plenty of cases of people passing by dying climbers so that they may summit.

Personally, I don't think this is much of a story - I have seen people nearly come to blows in the French Alps on busy routes.

5. I got a free kindle book by a climber called Mark Horrell and ploughed through it, it made dismal reading, the dog eat dog attitude of some of the climbers, getting so far up, then being driven back lower by the weather, waiting to make another attempt, time after time.

It sounded like a really shit way to spend a shed- load of money to me.

6. A few years ago a mate and I climbed a Mountain near Denia in Spain, known as 'Mongo'. The idea was that we would get to the summit and paraglide off down to the beach. It's not a tricky climb if you go the right way: 2500' from the base- even with a paraglider rucksack on your back.

However, following my mate, we took a track that got narrower and narrower until it ended up being something a mule in 'India Jones' would happily fall off. We pressed on until we met a couple coming the other way - they wouldn't go back and we couldn't turn easily. After some arguments and dramatic arm waving we worked out they were also on the way up to the summit and knew what they were doing. Realizing my mate had****ed it up we had to turn around - which was harder than it sounds with a paraglider bag.

By the time we eventually got to the summit the weather had closed in and the orographic cloud made take-off impossible.
    They only thing preventing me from chucking my mate off the top, was the Max Miller joke he reminded me of:

'I met a naked girl on a narrow mountain pass - I didn't know whether to block her passage or toss my self off'

7. Mugs the lot of them! if they want to get to the top of a mountain use a helicopter.

The only good reason I can see for climbing is if theirs an enemy gun emplacement at the top of a cliff or something.

Sick of hearing about all these adventure types costing us a fortune with rescue helicopters, search party's ect

8. I'm not sure Helicopters would fly that high.

9. I was generalizing, but it could happen if Mark Thatcher was leading the search party.

10. Balloons then, but not ones flown by Egyptians.

11. A classic! :salut:

12. According to St. Stephen of Fry (QI) someone (French?) has landed on Everest from a helicopter. Albeit with great difficulty due to random air currents.