Ever wondered why Gas was so pricey?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Nov 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 3
  2. Capitalist Bastards, who'd have thought it?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Of course the other reason the UK gas supplies are more expensive is chronic lack of investment.

More UK Gas Storage Needed To Ensure Integrity Of Supply - Engineer Live, For Engineers, By Engineers

Now apart from the fact that the UK is horribly vulnerable to Putin throwing a tantrum and cutting off gas supplies, it also means that we pay more for gas. France and Germany fill up their gas storage in the summer when gas tends to be cheaper due to lower demand. Our muppets in government, aided and abetted by the energy companies, have ensured that a lot of our gas supplies are brought 'spot' in the winter when they're more expensive.

Wonderful...

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 1
  4. Makes you wonder sometimes who has their hands up the arses of our old Etonian puppets?

• Like Like x 1
  5. The banks have been vilified, but still charge up to £50 every time you go overdrawn.

My point? This won't make the slightest bit of difference - the immediate outrage will fade and we'll continue to pay through the nose.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Well much of the above is true, but we pay less per kWh than most other countries in Europe.

You wonder why Scandinavian homes are so well insulated? Obviously, because it's cold there - but it's probably at ;east as much to do with the fact that the bills would be absolutely crippling otherwise.

In France I'm pretty sure energy supply is still a state monopoly. This could be a good or a bad thing (thinking rail pre/post nationalisation, the disaster that is Thames Water), although capitalist received wisdom would be that this does not lead to low prices.

7. And we're sat on loads and loads of good quality coal.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Which with less being burned in power stations should get cheaper - good for my fire if not the economics of extracting what we have

9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

Ah but why invest in gas storage if it means you cant jack the prices up at 6 times inflation every year.

which ever idiot a - privatised british gas and b - allowed them to burn gas instead of coal to make electricity needs hamstringing. for domestic and industrial use we had a good 50 years of gas under the north sea before they built the gas power stations. we had no need for storage.

10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

The answer to (a) was the Tory Govt in c1986 (the infamous "If you see Sid, tell him" campaign), and (b) The "Dash for Gas" started under the Tories in the early to mid 90's.

• Like Like x 2
  11. There is of course one tinsy winsy flaw in your "lets burn more coal" plan. The fact that under current EU emission targets, burning coal would leave us with a massive cost in terms of carbon capture and flue gas desulpherisation, making it far more expensive than simply lobbing it on a big fire and giving it a kick start. The reason we are so reliant on Gas is because many of our coal fired power stations are just too expensive to run, and would never meet emission quotas. So, whilst the fuel may be cheaper, the conversion of it to energy is incredibly expensive

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

12. I moved from E.on to Scottish power last month when they gave a fixed price deal until Feb 2014, E.On had promised they'd not increase prices this year, it's true they did it last year, so they'd more money of us for longer. I signed up with E-On lat September, so between September and December they'd increased the prices so potentially they'd had 15 months of an increase and just starting at the beginning of Autumn. My 'gas-guzzling' boiler didn't guzzle gas 20 years ago it was very cheap to run, funny Johnny Ball keeps telling me on the radio i'd save a fortune by spending a few grand on a new one.
    M.P's have been shaking their fists and tutting at energy companies for a couple of years now, they must be terrified.

13. I've figured out a short and long term energy plan for the country. We build coal fired plants and when the EU try to have a go over emissions we tell them to **** off, when the greens cry to the newspapers about polution we tell them to **** off.

These will cover us nicely until we build scores of new nuclear plants, when the greens cry again, we tell them to **** off.

• Like Like x 5