• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Ever noticed how blanket stackers

have everything whilst remaining perfectly sure no one else has an entitlement to anything?

I am a unit medic and requested some med kit, the reply was "why do you want it?" needless to say over a year later I still have no med kit even the CMT handbook remains out of reach. Meethinks the I might need med kit to fix the damage someone might just do to the SQMS face someday.

Our unit holds watches in the QM's dept but it seems no one, not the CO nor the OC's, SSM's are entitled to one, they remain the elxclusive reserve of the SQMS staff each of whom has one. Even a watchstrap is out of the question for those who have their own watches.

Same too goes for the humble Silva Compass, the QM's who never travel more than arms distance from whatever comforts they can withold from everyone else, need to find their way to the brew room and therefore need a compass but no one else can have one because in that immortal phase "Yer ain't entitled"

Imagine the whole MOD supply chain established and maintained simply so that QM staff can live in comfort.

Cardinal

My former sqn spent 6 1/2 months on HERRICK without any oil for our weapons except that which we could scrounge elsewhere. When challenged the SQMS replied, "It's not my ******* job". Not that he was censured for it. Still boils my piss now.

Steiner

as we all know, Stores are for storing, otherwise it would be called "Issues" ;)
Normally followed by a quick "Now **** off!"

I've met a few good blanket stackers, normally people who have done other trades first, so realise how ball achingly annoying it is to be sent away from the stores empty handed.

Others though are utter cock ends.

I can still remember wanting to change a wooly pully many years ago, only to be told by the duty stacker that I could only get a new one on the orders of an officer. Back I trotted to see my Boss, who obligingly called me to attention and gave me a direct order to change the wooly pully. Back at stores I informed Cpl Jobsworth of said order and added that he could call my Boss on ext 1234 to check. He just gave me the pully. Why make life difficult when with a bit more effort----.

Having said that at MPA I met loads of suppliers who were very flexible in their approach to requests for supplies. Perhaps the title of their sqn bar "Shadies" gave the game away.

have everything whilst remaining perfectly sure no one else has an entitlement to anything?

I am a unit medic and requested some med kit, the reply was "why do you want it?" needless to say over a year later I still have no med kit even the CMT handbook remains out of reach. Meethinks the I might need med kit to fix the damage someone might just do to the SQMS face someday.

Do you know what an ET is ? To upscale an Entitlement takes time, You put it in "Writing" (whinging dos'nt help) SQMS completes an upscaling request to the RQMS, who send's it to the ET Sponsor, who may or may not action it, then the QM Department can demand it. (anything up to 6 months for non priority items)

Our unit holds watches in the QM's dept but it seems no one, not the CO nor the OC's, SSM's are entitled to one, they remain the elxclusive reserve of the SQMS staff each of whom has one. Even a watchstrap is out of the question for those who have their own watches. same as above QM delagates with the SQMS dept, where the Equipment is needed, ask the QM is for are that bothered

Same too goes for the humble Silva Compass, the QM's who never travel more than arms distance from whatever comforts they can withold from everyone else, need to find their way to the brew room and therefore need a compass but no one else can have one because in that immortal phase "Yer ain't entitled" Why do you need it, go speak to your training wing if required for course, its the property of the unit, for unit requirements, not cos u think it looks cool in your pocket

Imagine the whole MOD supply chain established and maintained simply so that QM staff can live in comfort. that would be a lovely reality

Cardinal
Simply put, if you genuinly need it, then put pen to paper & make it official

When I was in the mob, back in nineteen hundred and frozen to death, I always found it much easier, on inspections and equipment checks, to produce a folder of current 1033's for said equipment on charge rather than the equipment itself. Empty stores are so much easier to manage.
Hence watches, compasses etc and anything valuable or starred was better off in somebody elses care than mine...lol

ugly

LE
I recall a CQMS who would issue everything in the store, even the avon redcrest recce boat so he didnt have anything other than signatures to show. nice bloke!

There seems to be some confusion over the term 'Blanket Stacker'

If we're talking about sub-unit SQMS department losers, then I suspect that the majority are arrse-wipe tradesmen who found real work too hard and think life in the SQMS department oiling shovels is the way to go. These are generally complete pricks and I agree that they think that the stock is their own personal property, and that the SQMS who said of obtaining weapon oil "It's not my ******* job" serioulsy needed a good kick-in.

However, if we're talking about RAOC/RLC professional :)wink:) blanket Stackers, then that's a completely different kettle of Fish.
I, Personally, would give away anything to anyone as long as they met two criteria:

1. There weren't taking the piss and ordering excess/gucci items they weren't entitled to, at the expense of others who were.
2. They came with the right attitude.

I got dipped, amongst other chores, as the clothing storeman on one particular Joint Service tour and gave away as much as I could because: a) It meant I had less to store; b) The guys could blag as much as possible whilst away from the dicks mentioned above.

As for Shadies in the Falkands; A den of dubious deals and back-handers as ever I've known. Luckily my time down the road with the FI RE Sqn meant I could proff things for them that they would never have got in their own right.

I, Personally, would give away anything to anyone as long as they met two criteria:

1. There weren't taking the piss and ordering excess/gucci items they weren't entitled to, at the expense of others who were.

In other words - No you can't have it because someone might need it?

On bended knee, fawning and tugging the forelock and bearing gifts of alcohol?
So exactly the same as every other Q bloke then? :)

Ahh! Good old "shadie's" MPA! When I was in (REME) I was actually allowed round the counter and was able to hand pick the kit I (ahem) required for duty in the FI. Rocked up with correct attitude and slab for duty storemen. Best damn stores ever.

Fat_Cav said:

In other words - No you can't have it because someone might need it?

FC: More like, Office/desk bound SNCO's wanting warm weather PPE over a guy stagging-on or freezing his bollocks off in a fork truck in all weathers

On bended knee, fawning and tugging the forelock and bearing gifts of alcohol?

FC: Not quite fella; More like not being treated like a **** by others because I wore a different cap-badge and worked in the rear echelon. Manners and mutual professional respect cost nothing and it's amazing how some people feel it's OK to act smug and superior to logisticians because we don't work in the front line and take in-coming all day every day.
So exactly the same as every other Q bloke then? :)
You see I wasn't a 'Q' bloke, I was RAOC/RLC and not a SQMS arrse-wipe.

You'll find that the real Army supply chain isn't the same as some useless downgraded _________* trying to bide his time before his 22 in your own unit. They're more than likely your cap badge, not mine. :winkrazz:

*- insert whatever trade fits.

Being an ex Q bloke my store was mostly full of kit that nobody ever wanted and a folder full of 1033s with up to date signatures along side a wad of P1954s.

Cardinal,

Let's step through this process. All you have to do is answer yes or no to the following questions:

1) Have you spoken to your Pl Comd about this?

to be fair in house stores people tended to be *******.
silvermans tended to be more use collar dogs and socks for ffs how hard is it to to have more than 3 pairs of socks for a battalion? let alone tropical trousers or no 7 trousers.

raoc stores people top blokes.

mind you uglys wholesale approach to store liberation slightly diffrent:)

I had a boss once (Cdr RN) who was i/c Observers Training at RNAS Yeovilton.

He broke his issue watch and went to get a replacement.

The Killick Jack Dusty said "Sorry Sir, Ive only got one and I need to keep it in case someone needs it.

Killick Jack Dusty was offered words of advice about his career prospects and then issued the watch.

Commander "Tremendous", you are a legend.

During my time at MPA, if some one wanted some kit, they got it provided it was not for selling on to the Bennies. If I had the stock, you could have it, if I didn't I would demand it for you. The QM of the recently-arrived RIC at time came to me for some various POL items for some troops going to South Georgia - He kept quoting something called "Paper Scales" saying they limited his entitlement to various items when he really needed a lot more 'stuff'. I asked him what and how much he wanted, explaining to him that it was better for him to have the stock rather than me as I would only have to do stocktaking, batch control, rotation, etc, etc if it stayed in my stores. After quite a while trying to explain the phrase "Help yourself to the stock mate" a little light finally illuminated in his head and he got the message, took the kit he really wanted and he went away a happy bunny. Me? - I was happy as I had a nearly empty POL store that was soooooo much easier to look after. Apparently the RIC QM had had some difficulty getting barbed wire, sand-bags and bog paper out of the RAOC-controlled PUE stocks and thought RAF stackers would be just as obstructive. Fortunately, I was able to show him that Crab stackers really were a fluffy, friendly bunch who positively responded to a kind and generous ( and totally unnecessary (cough)) offer of a couple of slabs.

Latest Threads