Ever Increasing Culture Gulf In Civvy V Military.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ALVIN, Jun 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have noticed an ever increasing gulf in culture between the military and their civvy counterparts in this country over the last 40 years which has now reached alarming levels in my opinion.
    The question being ........ 1. why is this and 2. where will this ultimately lead?

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

In 1970 a fair amount of the population had spent time in uniform.

That percentage is now far far lower.

There is also a quantum shift in the nature of modern childhood due partly to technology and partly due to a general change in attitude towards parenting. That leads to a change in moral values that are often at odds with the requirements of military life.

Where this will lead, who knows, but it can only get wider?

3. the army lives by certain core values that are desperatly lackin in general society. and its not just the young people either. discipline, integrity, respect seem to be dying qualitys in civvies below a certain age

4. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

There isn't the pressure on civvies to deliver what must be the requirement for soldiers - therefore the training is not as thorough.

Commercial entities do exist on the ability to maximise profits - this is often through cutting out unnecessary cost and if they can get away with avoiding cultural training in traits mentioned above, then they will.

Get over it, learn to display those traits in a way that causes admiration from civvy colleagues and leverage the dedication for higher pay.

5. The 'training' issue is something I've still to get used to in civvy street. Generally speaking it's not training as a serviceman understands it, there's no EDIP just show 'em how and crack on. The idea of reinforcing practice before unleashing someone on the job in hand seems to be considered insanity instead of investment.

The 'business ethos' permeates every aspect of civvy life, I'm afraid. Short term gain derived from minimum expenditure with a 'take the money and run' attitude to pretty much everything. In a lot of ways, it's pretty shit but at least i can decide for myself whether I shave in the mornings or not and don't have to get out of bed in the rain to stag on.