Ever been RTU'd from an important course?

And guess which muppet is on PJNCO in two weeks, exactly 30 years after doing his JNCO Cadre re-take. Day 1 of the course is my 53rd bday.

I must be off my rocker :)
Don't bother revising from your old course notes. They've changed the rifle. And uniform. And cookhouse. And...

Are we talking about the Charlie G incident on ex Marathon Chase?

We heard it during SMC 29 in ‘82, it had apparently happened 2-3 years earlier. I was ready to classify it as a myth until by chance I met someone who claims to have been in the very platoon in which it happened in the late 70’s.

Mind you he’s ex 3 Para...

And guess which muppet is on PJNCO in two weeks, exactly 30 years after doing his JNCO Cadre re-take. Day 1 of the course is my 53rd bday.

Good grief; you must enjoy the grief. But; a couple of years ago at a reunion, a small band of us were boasting largely of what we'd done since leaving the dirty, wet, hungry, underpaid and smelly business in the early 90's (ie; much bullshit), and eventually everyone looked at the the bloke who had been 'most likely to go places and do things', and he told us that he was a full-time reservist, a couple of ranks lower than his highest, still at the village location where he'd spent his last posting, with his lovely missus in a fabulous little cottage and a couple of good pubs just down the road. A pair of us remembered the misery of Lagos and the Sudd and had to sit down.

Boxy

GCM
[QUOTE="tiny_lewis, post: 9480191, member: 21581" some historical waffle

[/QUOTE]

So it doesn’t just happen to me then? Good to know

We heard it during SMC 29 in ‘82, it had apparently happened 2-3 years earlier. I was ready to classify it as a myth until by chance I met someone who claims to have been in the very platoon in which it happened in the late 70’s.

It's one of those stories that crops up every now and again. I heard it over two decades after that, so it's fair to say that although there might be a kernel of truth to the original event, any subsequent retelling is almost certainly bullshit.

Such as @Bravo_Bravo 's / @Far_King_L 's version. The lying SPOTY elect ****.

So it doesn’t just happen to me then? Good to know
[/QUOTE]
Boxy waste of time and resources as per the drill course, plus I think there will be an upper age limit on a pj's course, but correct me if I'm wrong

Not yet...but I’m on my All Arms Basic Drill Course as an FTRS SNCO at the age of 56 so there’s still time.

ETA: the course is in January, unless I can wiggle out of it somehow

When my Staffy went on that he told tales of room inspections at all hours. Appartently the favourite trick of the badgeman and his minions was to run a Q tip around the taps of the in room wash basins................"you 'orrible, gopping little man". Ooooh and the punishment role flag bearer role on the square, the flag being a wooden pole with a grey army blanket as the flag, lovingly stored in a bin full of water. After he shared those with us we used to drive down in the Lanny at lunchtime and snigger. Twat insisted on wearing ammo boots for months after the course, totally tore up the office flooring.

Last edited:

Boxy

GCM
When my Staffy went on that he told tales of room inspections at all hours. Appartently the favourite trick of the badgeman and his minions was to run a Q tip around the taps of the in room wash basins................"you 'orrible, gopping little man". Ooooh and the punishment role flag bearer role on the square, the flag being a wooden pole with a grey army blanket as the flag, loving stored in a bin full of water. After he shared those with us we used to drive down in the Lanny at lunchtime and snigger. Twat insisted on wearing ammo boots for months after the course, totally tore up the office flooring.

Oh yippee...

Oh yippee...

I dare you: First morning, room inspection stood outside the door at the 'shun, as the gaggle approaches to enter your room, give yourself the word of command "present Q tip". Then in a smart uniform and soldier like manner bend your right elbow to an angle of ninety degree's, holding and offering a Q tip held between the thumb and index finger of the right hand.

This will now be burned in your mind and sadly you will remember it if and when the situation arises. Just don't snigger.

Last edited:

Given your time line that meant that it happened around and about the time I was at RMAS, I can assure you it was not the CG from 10 Pl Salerno Coy as I was always the poor bastard who carried it and I handed it back each time. Pretty sure it did not happen during my time or I'm sure we would have heard all about it.

There was however a story doing the rounds that a few years previously some Overseas Cadet had got fed up with carrying a CG about and had chucked it into his trench etc etc etc.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Given your time line that meant that it happened around and about the time I was at RMAS, I can assure you it was not the CG from 10 Pl Salerno Coy as I was always the poor bastard who carried it and I handed it back each time. Pretty sure it did not happen during my time or I'm sure we would have heard all about it.

There was however a story doing the rounds that a few years previously some Overseas Cadet had got fed up with carrying a CG about and had chucked it into his trench etc etc etc.
I believe the original involved a longbow.

On the cookhouse part. Has the sausage allocation changed? :oops:
The good news is you can now have as many as you want, you'll just pay extra.

The bad news is that they're gopping. In my final years, my breakfast comprised tinned tomatoes and fried bread. If the cookhouse served fried bread.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Unit Fire Officers course Blackdown,two weeks of death by view foil .
Agree! Positively the most bloody boring and ball aching two weeks of my whole life!

[QUOTE="tiny_lewis, post: 9480191, member: 21581" some historical waffle

[/QUOTE]
Don't get RTU'd or you'll have nothing to add to this thread ;)

Latest Threads