Ever been fired?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Krek_Brizzle, Sep 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Question for anyone else who has been through / is currently in the recruitment process. Have you been obliged to declare that you left a job under less-than-amicable circumstances? Obviously I'm not going to be anything less than completely honest about myself; it's a question of integrity, and being 'creative' with the truth is a slippery slope.

But when you got to briefing/main board, were you given a roasting about it? Were you able to present it as a positive 'learning' experience, or was this chink in your armour ruthlessly needled by the interviewing officers until you ran bawling from the room?
  2. Luckily, I have not qualified personally to answer this. However, I was on Board of civ company interviewing for senior position and it was on the applicant's cv that his employment had been terminated. He was a very good match so we saw him and invited him to tell us what went on. He explained a set of circs that he described as a clash of personalities with his immediate senior. The HR had tried to sort things out but in the end terminated both him and his 1-up boss. He was able to put it across very well and we gave him the job. He'd been there for 6 years when I retired and never gave a moments trouble. I didn't bother to check that bit of his references out so he could have been bs'ing. You may be able to make such a case but be very aware - a lie in recruitment is 100% fatal if detected.
  3. I was sacked from a bakery when I was 17 as a prime suspect for theft of a laptop - the reality was that I used to go into the offices and nick all their Bic biros to do my paperwork with, as the tightarses would never supply them. Catching me in the offices was all the evidence they needed so I was sacked on the spot, and being a well intentioned teenager I accepted it and moved on. Unfortunately this means that the actual thief was never caught.

I have no problems with admitting this to any prospective employers in the future, we were all young and naive once.
  4. skintboymike, you stole the laptop didn't you. Just be frank, we're all friends here! As you say, we were all young once.
  5. when I was first fresh and young and just needed cash a recruitment agency sent me to a factory.

The job was so unbelieveably mind numbing that I ended up falling asleep on my break and when I came back, upon the woman inquriing where I'd been I promptly told her to go f'uck herself.

I didn't bother to mention it as it didn't seem relevant and by the time I applied I was quite far up the IT ladder.

Depends how relevant it is and what circumstances you left. If you weren't there long maybe just don't mention it.
  6. Of course he did, as he needed the dough.

7. Who's frank?
    Did he ""steal" the laptop?
  8. Dear Krek_Brizzle, your best bet by far is to level with your new/potential employees.

I had much the same dilemma some time ago. I worked for a fella called Edward Vick, of EVS.com, who has the most impressive array of tribunal procedures for constructional dismissal/totally blatant sexism (also the most impressive display for tax-avoidance matters) that I've ever seen.

When I punched his fückin' lights out (again for blatant sexism in the defence of a female colleague), I was dismissed on the spot (or actually when he came round again).

At a tribunal, the evidence was so overwhelmingly in my favour (and I thank you, Danny Boyd, you're a fückin' true star, my friend) that I was awarded five thousand notes for my trouble! I've no idea what your man had to pay in court costs.

I presented my written tribunal evidence to the "committee" at my subsequent interview and lo and behold, they gave me a job!

Tell it the way it is/was, mucker, and don't hold back. In the meantime, nobody believes that bosses are infallible or omniscient. On the plus side, you'll get the job. On the minus side, you won't. It's 50/50, innit?

9. Blimey!!!!

Suspected of nicking a laptop at age 17!

We didn't have laptops when I was 17.

Not sure we even had biros ...... might have still been using quills.
  10. I thought hieroglyphs were written with chisels and mallets?
  11. Quills!!! when I was a boy we used a stylus and wax tablet to write down what was being read from a papyrus scroll!!

More seriously, I have never been fired but I have been on interviewing panels. I recall interviewing someone to replace me when I was promoted. One applicant stood out above all others. Excellent academic credentials (better than me!) and lots of experience in just the right areas. Looked perfect for the job. Then the interview. At the start of the interview she sounded wonderful, too good to be true. Then some asked the question "Why do you want to leave your present job at XYZ".. Thank God the question was asked. She started in on her boss as deceitful and unethical and dishonest... and when she finished talking about her boss she started in on all her coworkers who also were evil, deceitful....

We realized that she was a completely miserable bitch who would hate anywhere she worked and would hate all her coworkers within a week of starting. Made me glad I asked that question. In addition to job skills, a very important issue is "Is this someone I would be happy working with for the forseeable future"
  12. Been fired or as the term is "not required back" from a couple of oil rigs, both times over run ins with rig managers with Napoleon complexes who thought that after 3 weeks of giving it the big un offshore that it would be forgotten about once we hit the heliport, and his "stripes came off "so to speak. Took great pleasure in twatting both gobshites and in front of their crews, well worth getting nrb'd for, but then again jobs are easy enough to pick up in the offshore game and a week later back in employment, and still see them ocassionnally at check-in time.
  13. Actually there was a security camera on the office 24/7, I have no idea how they planned to pin it on me. When I asked to see their evidence they refused, unsurprisingly, but then I suppose if someone's nicking pens then what else are they capable of nicking? If I'd known I'd be getting the boot I'd have definitely nicked it.

Can't whinge though, if I'd been kept on I may never have joined the army.
  14. A prospective employer might be interested in why you were fired and will likely press you to disclose (probably unwittingly) how you handled yourself during the process.

In my view there are entirely good reasons for being fired; eg, (and assuming its a hundred years ago)defending the honour of a lady.
  15. Thanks for your helpful responses. I don't want to go into things in too much detail but the more I think about it the more I realise how important honesty will be. Any deception, or evasiveness, would be deeply unwise.

Bottom line is if they see something I went through over two years ago as a reason to fail me, then I'll be unlucky. But if they catch me trying to BS them, then they'll be right to send me packing.