• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Ever been caught speeding in Cleveland? Could be good news..

Thousands of speeding tickets could be overturned after a motorist successfully appealed.

Dr Will Dehany, 52, from Maltby on Teesside was caught by a speed van driving his wife's car at 35mph in a 30mph zone on Worsall Road in Yarm.

He argued that the notice requesting the car owner to identify the driver could not be proved to have come from Cleveland Police's chief constable.

Anti-speed camera campaigners say further appeals are likely to follow.

Dr Dehany was given a £60 fine and three penalty points by Teesside magistrates when he was caught speeding in his wife's Opel Astra in October 2004, but his conviction was overturned at Teesside Crown Court on Tuesday.

He said: "Obviously the police constable operating the speed camera cannot issue them all himself, but they should be signed by, or on behalf of the Chief Constable by someone authorised to do that.

'Countless millions'

"In fact, it didn't say anything other than 'Cleveland Police' on the documents. The woman who issues them is simply a clerk."

She had only been authorised to issue notices by the previous chief constable, he added.

Paul Smith, founder of the Safe Speed campaign which opposes fixed cameras, said: "All those convicted in Cleveland since 2000 on the basis of faulty procedure should now apply to have their fines refunded, licence points removed, and in many cases to be compensated for consequential losses.

"The knock-on effects are massive and will cost countless millions."

A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said: "We note the judgment of the court but until we have time to consider it in detail, it would not be appropriate to comment."
TTFN

BFG

If the government wants to spend loads of money going down the 'speed kills' rather than 'inappropriate speed kills' route then they should be fought at every juncture.

Believe me, if the tables were turned and they could get you on a technicality then they would.

Bring back traffic police, a law enforcement method that can spot more than just speeding.

Trevelez said:
He should have paid up instead of taking this to the Crown Court. Think about how much this has cost the tax payer.
Yes he should accept the guilt even if it was an incorrect conviction..whatever next..people wanting a fair trial?

TheHelpfulStacker said:
Bring back traffic police, a law enforcement method that can spot more than just speeding.
Here, here, you don't have to be speeding to be a danger on the roads. Since I started commuting I've realised how many nobbers out there are a risk to themselves and others (usually driving Vauxhall Novas and wearing baseball caps).

Trevelez said:
He should have paid up instead of taking this to the Crown Court. Think about how much this has cost the tax payer.
Well thought out Trevelez. Would you be happy to hand over cash to someone who's got no authority or has carried out their procedures incorrectly? If so I'd like a couple of hundred quid, cheers :D

Horridlittleman said:
Trevelez said:
Well thought out Trevelez. Would you be happy to hand over cash to someone who's got no authority or has carried out their procedures incorrectly? If so I'd like a couple of hundred quid, cheers :D
Cheque's in the post :(

Given the use of computer generated letters I doubt they will be the only law inforcement who have this problem and I doubt it will stop at traffic offences..

Latest Threads