Even Walts die in "action"

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by brettarider, Oct 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

A man died after he was speared through the eye during a medieval jousting re-enactment for Channel 4 show Time Team.
    (Advertisement)
    click here

The freak accident happened during a warm-up run for a sequence being filmed at Rockingham Castle, Leicestershire.

The jousters, members of a professional re-enactment group, were using lances with balsa wood tips, designed to break off on impact with an opponent's shield.

A splinter of wood from a lance flew up through the eye slit of the man's helmet, penetrated chain mail and went into his eye socket.

He was taken to hospital after the accident on September 13 and died in University Hospital, Coventry, a week later. His funeral took place earlier this month.

The man has not been named as his family have requested privacy, but he is understood to be in his late 40s or early 50s. The Health and Safety Executive is investigating.

Former Blackadder star Tony Robinson hosts Time Team, a popular archaeology show.

The jousting demonstration was being filmed for a 2008 Time Team special about Edward III's Round table at Windsor Castle.

Scenes featuring the man who died will be broadcast - although the accident will not - and there will be a dedication to him at the end of the episode.

A Channel 4 spokeswoman said: "We have been shocked and deeply saddened by this tragic accident. We take issues of health and safety extremely seriously for all our programmes. The professional company of historical enactors has an excellent safety record and took all the appropriate and necessary precautions and it does sadly appear this was a tragic, freak, accident."

clicky

2. No doubt Tony will be able to conjure up some of his OTT - Time Team enthusiasm over this episode.

3. Censorship gone mad :roll:

4. Surely not. If it all went mad, people would start threads about it. The mongs.

5. If I remember my history lessons correctly, a splinter through the eyeslit was common injury during real tourneys...

I know they try to be authentic but that's taking it too far. :wink:

6. RIP soldier. Stand easy.

7. Maybe Balders could kill two birds with one stone - bang together a episode of Time Team and The Worst Jobs in History.

8. I'm frankly taken aback that the 'grieving party' have missed this thread.

So, your starter for ten.....RIP mate.

9. A brave man who died doing his duty for his country. he made the ultimate sacrifice.

I shed a tear in his memory.

RIP.

10. For a brief and happy moment, I thought that miniature archaeo-walt Robinson had bought it.

11. King Henry II of France was killed when a lance punctured his helmet, pierced his eye and entered his brain during a joust. His helmet grill was made of gold and thus thoroughly unsutiable as armour!

12. Insulting to call the guy a Walt. Just a guy doing something fun, dangerous, educational and a sure fire hit for the kids to watch in summer. He was bringing history to ..er.. life.. ahem.

13. I think the fascist Nazi's from the HSE will be preparing kit for a field day now! Cue new law from the nanny state banning such activity.

14. I think to describe medieval re-enacting as walting is going a century or two too far. Waltenkommando standing orders state clearly that Walts start from 1939 onward - or 1933 in the specific case of SS walts. All "modern" re-enactors or airsofters are hyper-walts and should be paintballed, abused and tied naked to the gates of Depot PARA Reg., with only a green lid on, ready for the consequences...

15. RIP fella.