Evaluating my chances to join the Indian Army to avoid poverty (any advice is appreciated)

Should I try to join the Indian Army? None of my other plans change unless I am selected

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Try to get a job in the Police instead, the military is too strict with medical standards

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I don't know (If possible I'll explain with a reply from my perspective and experience)

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
Greetings.

I am from India and I am a 20 year old prelaw student. I've wanted to work as a police officer since my childhood (I think I was 8 years old back then) and since then I've needed glasses and I was diagnosed with hypertension. The thing is, I don't want to give up without trying so I will try to join the Indian Police Service when I turn 21, thus eligible. The problem is, it seems I am clearly unfit for military service and I want to avoid poverty. Law school is of three years and I don't think my parents will support me until I get a job as a lawyer. Until my mid-20's. So the military naturally seems the best option for me but I've hypertension and my vision is bad in one eye. I think it is 20/400 (it's worse than 20/200) BUT it corrects to 20/20 I am not sure if I should try to join the Indian Army as a Commissioned Officer? I am sure my chances of getting a waiver are low.

The thing is, I want to avoid poverty and I am sure I am eligible for managerial jobs in the police because my vision corrects to 20/20 and I am sure if I lose weight, hypertension will not be a problem. I want to be a strong candidate for the police also. I was wondering if I should try to join the military or leave it as per international standards? I'll be grateful if anyone from the UK/West posts any advice. The Indian Armed Forces are particularly strict and much less lenient, here Indian Army does not allow myopia, hypermetropia (astigmatism included) to exceed +/- 4.0D. -6.0D after surgery; I am ineligible for LASIK and I am not sure about IOL, PRK, etc. Any advice is appreciated; thanks.

Edit: I want to add I am posting this here instead of an Indian forum, because I found out about this website via Duckduckgo, and I think there are no real community forums by Indian people for the Indian people. I am certain with minor differences, such as having nearsighted standards up to -6.0D diopter instead of -4.0D, military recruitment and training does not change much.

Also I'll be happy if I get to join the Army reserve (called Territorial Army here) BUT I will need to be employed by some other organization (other than the police and paramilitary) to be eligible to serve in the Army reserves. I am not sure how my BSc Zoology degree will help me find good employment. Any advice is appreciated from your perspective. What would you do in my place? Thank you.

Edit #3?: I am sure this is embarrassing to ask here, I've made grammatical and factual mistakes while writing this thread. Thank you anyway.

Edit #4: God, I really need to rest. I've written something similar to a word salad. Basically my parents don't support me as much as they can and cannot for long. They're old. I am not sure what to do, how can I get a job in the police. I am not sure if I can join the military and thus how an advantage over other candidates. Thank you.

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
1629721297473.png

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
1629722866680.png

I don't understand?
What it means is that you’re probably asking the questions in the wrong forum. A number of your countrymen have been active here in the past in a manner less than complimentary to the U.K. and also reflecting badly on your homeland.

They were robustly disabused of their views which became very entertaining as they tried to defend some of the more indefensible aspects of life on the sub continent. It is traditional in the U.K. to lay on beer and popcorn prior to sitting down to watch an eagerly anticipated viewing event.

Good luck.

Ask at your local army recruitment office If you’re suitable. And if that or the police doesn’t work out, Amazon, BT, and Microsoft seem to be big employers judging by the number of phone calls I get each day.
Good luck in whatever path you choose.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Greetings.

I am from India and I am a 20 year old prelaw student. I've wanted to work as a police officer since my childhood (I think I was 8 years old back then) and since then I've needed glasses and I was diagnosed with hypertension. The thing is, I don't want to give up without trying so I will try to join the Indian Police Service when I turn 21, thus eligible. The problem is, it seems I am clearly unfit for military service and I want to avoid poverty. Law school is of three years and I don't think my parents will support me until I get a job as a lawyer. Until my mid-20's. So the military naturally seems the best option for me but I've hypertension and my vision is bad in one eye. I think it is 20/400 (it's worse than 20/200) BUT it corrects to 20/20 I am not sure if I should try to join the Indian Army as a Commissioned Officer? I am sure my chances of getting a waiver are low.

The thing is, I want to avoid poverty and I am sure I am eligible for managerial jobs in the police because my vision corrects to 20/20 and I am sure if I lose weight, hypertension will not be a problem. I want to be a strong candidate for the police also. I was wondering if I should try to join the military or leave it as per international standards? I'll be grateful if anyone from the UK/West posts any advice. The Indian Armed Forces are particularly strict and much less lenient, here Indian Army does not allow myopia, hypermetropia (astigmatism included) to exceed +/- 4.0D. -6.0D after surgery; I am ineligible for LASIK and I am not sure about IOL, PRK, etc. Any advice is appreciated; thanks.

Edit: I want to add I am posting this here instead of an Indian forum, because I found out about this website via Duckduckgo, and I think there are no real community forums by Indian people for the Indian people. I am certain with minor differences, such as having nearsighted standards up to -6.0D diopter instead of -4.0D, military recruitment and training does not change much.

Also I'll be happy if I get to join the Army reserve (called Territorial Army here) BUT I will need to be employed by some other organization (other than the police and paramilitary) to be eligible to serve in the Army reserves. I am not sure how my BSc Zoology degree will help me find good employment. Any advice is appreciated from your perspective. What would you do in my place? Thank you.

Edit #3?: I am sure this is embarrassing to ask here, I've made grammatical and factual mistakes while writing this thread. Thank you anyway.

Edit #4: God, I really need to rest. I've written something similar to a word salad. Basically my parents don't support me as much as they can and cannot for long. They're old. I am not sure what to do, how can I get a job in the police. I am not sure if I can join the military and thus how an advantage over other candidates. Thank you.

You're unlikely to get anyone on this site with comprehensive knowledge of the Indian Army joining requirements (although you never know) and even for UK queries, a lot of us are simply not up to date.

You've mentioned the Indian TA in your edit and, again unless it's different in India, the joining standards should theoretically be identical. You'll never know unless you try though. If having a job already is a requirement for the Indian TA - which seems odd but horses for courses - then getting something (anything) to tide you over then applying to the TA might be an option then transferring.

If though, as you've stated a few times, your prime motivation is not being poor and you're happy you'll get in, then join the police.

Good luck.

I was looking at the Indian Army entry Fitness requirements the other day actually.

Not sure about the medical, but the run portion of their test is pretty strict. From what I gather the maximum acceptable time for the mile run is 5:45.

Make sure you're past the blokes in the vest when you reach the cutoff time.

@SurgeonLawyer I'm certain that you need a rest after writing all that claptrap. What surprises me is that you have been given some sensible replies to what is an obvious wind-up. You will know how I know this if you join the police.

I shall see how long it takes for everyone to get bored with you.

Greetings.

First of all I think you are posting in the wrong section of the forum, there is a section specifically for recruitment queries. The odds that anyone here having the first clue about standards for joining the Indian army and able to give reasonable, considered advice is somewhat slim.

You say that you've always wanted to be in the police then say you are clearly unfit for military service then go on to say the military is naturally the best option for you. You also say that you have hypertension, are blind as a bat in one eye and are overweight. You state what are the Indian army's eyesight requirements and say you are unsuitable for laser surgery. May I suggest that military service is not even an option for you, let alone the best option. I also suspect that the medical requirements for your territorial army will be similar, if not identical, to your regular army. The medical standards for joining the British army are irrelevant to your situation. You've not said what they are but if you don't meet the medical standards for becoming a police officer then that is also not an option for you.

We all want to avoid poverty but for you joining the army or police doesn't appear to be an option. Play to your existing strengths and if you already have a zoology degree that might be your best starting point. I think you already know the answers to your questions regarding joining the army but have failed to really understand them. So, evaluating your chances of joining the Indian army - not a hope in hell.

I'm not exactly sure what you are hoping to achieve by asking your questions on a British army themed website but I don't think you are likely to find the answers you are looking for here. Your best bet is to ask your questions on the Indian army and police forces's recruitment websites. There surely must be other people in India who have had the same questions and concerns so there must be similar websites to this in India to ask those questions.

Dalef65

Old-Salt
@SurgeonLawyer I'm certain that you need a rest after writing all that claptrap. What surprises me is that you have been given some sensible replies to what is an obvious wind-up. You will know how I know this if you join the police.

I shall see how long it takes for everyone to get bored with you.

Dunno ...
Call me naive but I thought the guy was gen to be fair

Dunno ...
Call me naive but I thought the guy was gen to be fair

I think that I'll have to do that.

Someone who is in poor health comes to a British military themed site and asks about joining the Indian army or police is a few pence short of a shilling or it's a bored member of arrse trying a wind up.

Colour me cynical.

Dalef65

Old-Salt
I think that I'll have to do that.

Someone who is in poor health comes to a British military themed site and asks about joining the Indian army or police is a few pence short of a shilling or it's a bored member of arrse trying a wind up.

Colour me cynical.
Ironically it was the poor health part that kind of makes me think hes genuine.
In other words , I was thinking if it was a wind up he wouldnt have put that in. But hey like I said I dunno, and for now benefit of the doubt and all that

Latest Threads